Toast Welcome to the Saints - Jarrod Lienert

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Has joined on a one a 1 year deal as part of the SSP.

Did some nice stuff in the intra-club, and expect him to be good depth when we need it. Especially with Coffield and maybe Highmore down at times in that medium-tall defender role. Not a bad pick-up.

I’ll assume we open up another list spot for the MSD, once we move Coffield to long term injury status.

Last edited:
I promise you Highmore is better than Lienert and Highmore can't even make your emergencies for a squad of 30 in a preseason game, so hard to see the point of this. If your squad is injured enough that Lienert is getting a game, your season is ****ed anyway and you may as well play the kids.

Apr 3, 2002
Australia
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
St.Kilda
I promise you Highmore is better than Lienert and Highmore can't even make your emergencies for a squad of 30 in a preseason game, so hard to see the point of this. If your squad is injured enough that Lienert is getting a game, your season is ****ed anyway and you may as well play the kids.

Nailed it. Hopefully we are both wrong but he's had enough exposed AFL form at this point.

I don’t get this.

If that’s really how you feel just be grateful he’s no longer on your list.

Why come on here and try to stir things up?

He’s our asset/liability now.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t get this.

Yeah!!.........Like we don't go to Melbourne's threads and bitch about DUNSTAN........................Err!..Do we?................Actually from what I hear lately, he bitches about us!

Minga

Club Legend
Mar 23, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I don’t get this.

It’s funny isn’t it. I remember North fans making a big deal over how Mason Wood is a massive tease yada yada. But he’s been a really solid contributor so far, played great in 2021 season, won the time trial 2022 pre-season, plays his link-up role very consistently and works well within the team.

Who knows how this Lienert signing will go, but you can’t really blame the club for wanting depth players with AFL experience if we’re pushing for finals in a covid-ridden season.

It’s funny isn’t it. I remember North fans making a big deal over how Mason Wood is a massive tease yada yada. But he’s been a really solid contributor so far, played great in 2021 season, won the time trial 2022 pre-season, plays his link-up role very consistently and works well within the team.

Who knows how this Lienert signing will go, but you can’t really blame the club for wanting depth players with AFL experience if we’re pushing for finals in a covid-ridden season.
even if its not for finals. we need depth. what is the p0int of getting a 18 year old rookie who would probably not get a game. This way the guy has played AFL has a contract for 1 year , on minimal wages. he won' be a world beater, and noone will expect him to be.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

We seem to see the marking link-up role between back and forward as really important. Billings plays it when fit, Wood plays it now, Lienert is a backup for that role. We'll be playing plenty of kids this year but also need to have some older bodies around them, Lienert won't do much but will bolster the ranks in the ones or twos when the inevitable injuries come.

Was Wood always being pushed into the stay home key forward role by North ( i think he was, but i really wasn't paying much attention to the Norfs )?
I think its the different role he has at the Saints is making all the difference.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
We do this every year recently, pick up older guys to fill spaces. It doesn't exactly pay off big time but it keeps the squad competitive:

2021: Tom Campbell, Jack Hayes, Jarrod Lienert
2020: Shaun McKernan, James Frawley, Tom Highmore, Paul Hunter, Mason Wood
2019: Ryan Abbott (and lots of older trades)
2018: Sam Rowe, Jono Marsh, Callum Wilkie, Robbie Young, Nick Hind, Matthew Parker

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bit like your team's recruitment of a player called Trent Dumont.
Delisted after many years at a struggling club

We do this every year recently, pick up older guys to fill spaces. It doesn't exactly pay off big time but it keeps the squad competitive:

2021: Tom Campbell, Jack Hayes, Jarrod Lienert
2020: Shaun McKernan, James Frawley, Tom Highmore, Paul Hunter, Mason Wood
2019: Ryan Abbott (and lots of older trades)
2018: Sam Rowe, Jono Marsh, Callum Wilkie, Robbie Young, Nick Hind, Matthew Parker

For 0 cost to come out of it with a Wilkie, Highmore, Wood - not too shabby.
This year's recruits look OK too. Campbell should see more success and longevity as a backup ruckman than Hunter and Abbott did.
Hayes I'm pretty bullish on but he and Lienert not the worst we could do for free hits at some extra depth.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
He's played around half a dozen games for Port each year over the last 2 years when you've made the preliminary final before shitting the bed so that doesn't add up.

giphy (86).gif

Back