Toast Welcome to the Saints - MAX KING!

Grav

Premiership Player
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Very much old school vs new school at play within the fitness/medical dept.

One party wants him to bulk up and gain as much muscle mass as possible to strengthen his body (very much the old way of thinking).

The other party want him to stay lean and ease up on the weights program in order to reduce the load/tension from his already large frame that’s being placed on his knee (ala John Patton/NicNat).
I’m old school, with a new school way of thinking & that is to reduce the load placed on his knees.
Personally if I go over 90kg. I feel the pressure on my dicky knees, ease back to around the 85kg. & everything is “A” ok.
Also build up too much muscle mass too quickly, slows you down & with Maxie we don’t want that to happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DGontheQT

All Australian
AFL Club
St Kilda
Spotted the King twins down at Sorrento Footy Oval doing their running program this afternoon. Max is noticeably bigger than Ben - both height and muscle. Max seemed to be running well with no limping or signs of injury... looked impressive
Noticed in the paper today , that Max is taller than 2 Metre Peter. Big unit !
He also looks like he has a huge wingspan. I can't think of any permanent defender in the AFL with that size.
The season cannot come quick enough.

CALL ME SNAKE

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
Noticed in the paper today , that Max is taller than 2 Metre Peter. Big unit !
He also looks like he has a huge wingspan. I can't think of any permanent defender in the AFL with that size.
The season cannot come quick enough.
as long as supporters dont crack the shits when the club doesnt play him till round 12 cos he is coming off a knee.

Tommy Wigs

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
as long as supporters dont crack the shits when the club doesnt play him till round 12 cos he is coming off a knee.
Yep and not like we have no other talls to play either. My expectation is probably a couple of cheeky ones late in the year and that’s it. But hope he shows some good form for Sandy (I’ll give him till May to get going :)).

Verdun66

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Spoke to someone while I have been in Melbourne who has watched the twins since they were very young in junior footy. Said Max was incredibly freakish in the things he has been able to do. Agility once the ball hits the deck his great strength. He has great anticipation and can get to the ball way before anyone else, and do things with it. That’s if he hasn’t already marked it.

Also recalled a moment in a game that a defender got the ball and was trying to run the ball out. In a few giant quick strides Max had reeled the guy in and just swallowed him up. Just said everyone watching just looked at each other and couldn’t believe what they had seen.

Sounds to me like we should leave him relatively lean to keep his great attribute!

They also said Ben wasn’t quite the homebody that Max was and would cope (and actually thrive) away from home. Not to expect him to necessarily come back to Melbourne.

Last edited:

Keg on legs

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
My 2 bob's worth:

Gotta keep the bulk off Max. He seems from what I've read and seen to be an absolute freak below his knees for a guy his size. Much like what Verdon said above. We can have Paddy as the power fwd if they honestly believe we need one. Paddy to smash packs and kill kents, Max to embarrass them.

As for Ben, i reckon if he chooses to come home it's to play with Max. I can't see him wanting to come home and play anywhere else tbh. Here's hoping anyway

Last edited:

Joffaboy

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
NO Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewart66

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
My 2 bob's worth:

Gotta keep the bulk off Max. He seems from what I've read and seen to be an absolute freak below his knees for a guy his size. Much like what Verdon said above. We can have Paddy as the power fwd if they honestly believe we need one. Paddy to smash packs and kill kents, Max to embarrass them.

As for Ben, i reckon if he chooses to come home it's to play with Max. I can't see him wanting to come home and play anywhere else tbh. Here's hoping anyway

Suggest you talk to Russell Caplan if you want accurate news on Ben’s future long term .

Keg on legs

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’s on the board Kegs. But everytime you hear Max’s name come up at the club -
Ben is spoken about joining in a couple of years. A bit of arrogance and a hint of wishful thinking...
Thanks mate.

Like i say, i just can't see him come to anyone other than us IF he chooses to leave. In 2 years we will be rising up the ladder, so he won't be seduced by another club for immediate success ..

AND he can play (and win a flag) with his twin.

We can't get ahead of ourselves.... but "you know it makes sense!" :D

Mikka84

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thanks mate.

Like i say, i just can't see him come to anyone other than us IF he chooses to leave. In 2 years we will be rising up the ladder, so he won't be seduced by another club for immediate success ..

AND he can play (and win a flag) with his twin.

We can't get ahead of ourselves.... but "you know it makes sense!" :D
If he leaves, it’s to us. No questions about it. Just depends on how well he settles in up there. They have some heavy hitters nursing the kids now.. But can’t ignore some of our staff talking about it like it’s a done deal already.

Stewart66

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’s on the board Kegs. But everytime you hear Max’s name come up at the club -
Ben is spoken about joining in a couple of years. A bit of arrogance and a hint of wishful thinking...

Not arrogance at all , more the case of the “club” that recruited him .
Very suprised the Suns picked him when there were options in the midfield available,which their
own supporters were screaming for.

Mikka84

Club Legend
AFL Club
St Kilda
Very suprised the Suns picked him when there were options in the midfield available,which their
Suns need everyone.. not just midefielders. They basically have no talls at either end with departures of Lynch and May. 2MP the exception, but had his own concerns.

There is definitely some arrogance within the club about getting Ben.. just look at our social media posts on draft night.

Sir Skid

Just one of the boys!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah, I think it was pretty silly of GC tbh.
Would be more concerned about NOT getting Bing in 2 years if he went to any Melb based club.

AFL Club
Carlton
Hope you guys don’t mind an external opinion but I really rate Max and I think he was easily the right choice for St Kilda at pick 4. Don’t listen to media tripe and the thoughts of opposition supporters claiming that you have too many talls. None are the quality of Max.

IMO he could have easily been pick 1 even after the ACL injury. In most years he probably would be but due to the strength of this years draft along with the recent failure of high end KPFs and the two bottom sides going for “safer” options, he slid to you guys.

I hope he gets his body right and if he does, I think he will be something special, could be the next buddy franklin (no pressure kid). Now it’s time to build a side around him which is the hard part. I will be following his career closely. Best of luck with him!

P.S- I know it’s probably not the right thread, but I’m interested in how you guys think hugh Goddard will go with us? Was surprised to see him delisted as he was pretty good in the VFL this season IIRC. Being delisted and then rookied by us, my expectations are not exactly high but is he worth a punt?

Last edited:
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hope you guys don’t mind an external opinion but I really rate Max and I think he was easily the right choice for St Kilda at pick 4. Don’t listen to media tripe and the thoughts of opposition supporters claiming that you have too many talls. None are the quality of Max.

IMO he could have easily been pick 1 even after the ACL injury. In most years he probably would be but due to the strength of this years draft along with the recent failure of high end KPFs and the two bottom sides going for “safer” options, he slid to you guys.

I hope he gets his body right and if he does, I think he will be something special, could be the next buddy franklin (no pressure kid). Now it’s time to build a side around him which is the hard part. I will be following his career closely. Best of luck with him!

P.S- I know it’s probably not the right thread, but I’m interested in how you guys think hugh Goddard will go with us? Was surprised to see him delisted as he was pretty good in the VFL this season IIRC. Being delisted and then rookied by us, my expectations are not exactly high but is he worth a punt?
Cheers mate we all have our fingers crossed hoping that maxy does live up to his potential

I don't want to rain on your parade after you came in here full of positivity but i don't have great expectations for hugh goddards future as an afl player. I was rapt when we picked him up and expected good things but injuries and weight gain have turned him into one of the slowest footballers i have seen. If he could regain some speed he could definitely prove me wrong but i don't expect him to do that and he just moved so slowly that i don't think he has any place in the afl

AFL Club
Carlton
Cheers mate we all have our fingers crossed hoping that maxy does live up to his potential

I don't want to rain on your parade after you came in here full of positivity but i don't have great expectations for hugh goddards future as an afl player. I was rapt when we picked him up and expected good things but injuries and weight gain have turned him into one of the slowest footballers i have seen. If he could regain some speed he could definitely prove me wrong but i don't expect him to do that and he just moved so slowly that i don't think he has any place in the afl
No worries. I’m after true analysis, not just sunshine and rainbows so thanks for the response! Obviously there must have been a major knock on him to be delisted but here’s hoping he can turn it around.

I’m actually quite bullish on the saints recent drafting. I really liked Gresham and hunter Clark in their draft years and hoped the they slid to us at the time. Saints are starting to build a good nucleus of young players imo so keep the faith. Good luck for the year ahead.

Bob Cobb

AFL & BBL Supercoach Enthusiast
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stars, Sharks, Spurs, Suns
No worries. I’m after true analysis, not just sunshine and rainbows so thanks for the response! Obviously there must have been a major knock on him to be delisted but here’s hoping he can turn it around.

I’m actually quite bullish on the saints recent drafting. I really liked Gresham and hunter Clark in their draft years and hoped the they slid to us at the time. Saints are starting to build a good nucleus of young players imo so keep the faith. Good luck for the year ahead.
Cheers for the kind message for Max.

Hugh is a tough one. The thing that stands out to me the most about him is he almost always loses his feet in the contest, Not exactly the type you want playing defence IMO - Fwd is the go for Hugh if he is to make it.

Top Bottom