Senior Max King

Remove this Banner Ad

Who gets the casting vote though?
The club medical team (Senior Medical Officer) has the final say.

I posted earlier this year that the club under Lethlean was looking to bolster the fitness/medical department and in order to do this they have engaged a number of medical/fitness consultants (some of who are prodominantly based in the US) to analyse injuries and their subsequent management/rehab programs and make recommendations.

That’s what has happened in this case, but it seems like it may either be a case of too many chefs or/ the existing medical team wanting to stick only to conventional (and IMO prehistoric) methods that are not evolving with the times.

I posted earlier this year that the club under Lethlean was looking to bolster the fitness/medical department and in order to do this they have engaged a number of medical/fitness consultants (some of who are prodominantly based in the US) to analyse injuries and their subsequent management/rehab programs and make recommendations.

That’s what has happened in this case, but it seems like it may either be a case of too many chefs or/ the existing medical team wanting to stick only to conventional (and IMO prehistoric) methods that are not evolving with the times.
Hope Lethers, Gubby and Ratts will sort this s**t out.

I hope we get this right. Aside from the knee recovery, if we bulk Max up too much he will lose his agility and we end up with an ok ruckman rather than an elite forward. I’m quite stunned this is an actual discussion

Very much old school vs new school at play within the fitness/medical dept.

One party wants him to bulk up and gain as much muscle mass as possible to strengthen his body (very much the old way of thinking).

The other party want him to stay lean and ease up on the weights program in order to reduce the load/tension from his already large frame that’s being placed on his knee (ala John Patton/NicNat).

I’m old school, with a new school way of thinking & that is to reduce the load placed on his knees.
Personally if I go over 90kg. I feel the pressure on my dicky knees, ease back to around the 85kg. & everything is “A” ok.
Also build up too much muscle mass too quickly, slows you down & with Maxie we don’t want that to happen.

I hope we get this right. Aside from the knee recovery, if we bulk Max up too much he will lose his agility and we end up with an ok ruckman rather than an elite forward. I’m quite stunned this is an actual discussion
Agree. Probs shows more cleanout needed.

Spotted the King twins down at Sorrento Footy Oval doing their running program this afternoon. Max is noticeably bigger than Ben - both height and muscle. Max seemed to be running well with no limping or signs of injury... looked impressive
Noticed in the paper today , that Max is taller than 2 Metre Peter. Big unit !
He also looks like he has a huge wingspan. I can't think of any permanent defender in the AFL with that size.
The season cannot come quick enough.

Noticed in the paper today , that Max is taller than 2 Metre Peter. Big unit !
He also looks like he has a huge wingspan. I can't think of any permanent defender in the AFL with that size.
The season cannot come quick enough.
as long as supporters dont crack the shits when the club doesnt play him till round 12 cos he is coming off a knee.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as long as supporters dont crack the shits when the club doesnt play him till round 12 cos he is coming off a knee.

As long as he is coming off a knee and it's not a knee coming off him :eek:

As long as he is coming off a knee and it's not a knee coming off him :eek:
408965c6xn2nngke.gif

Yep and not like we have no other talls to play either. My expectation is probably a couple of cheeky ones late in the year and that’s it. But hope he shows some good form for Sandy (I’ll give him till May to get going :)).

Spoke to someone while I have been in Melbourne who has watched the twins since they were very young in junior footy. Said Max was incredibly freakish in the things he has been able to do. Agility once the ball hits the deck his great strength. He has great anticipation and can get to the ball way before anyone else, and do things with it. That’s if he hasn’t already marked it.

Also recalled a moment in a game that a defender got the ball and was trying to run the ball out. In a few giant quick strides Max had reeled the guy in and just swallowed him up. Just said everyone watching just looked at each other and couldn’t believe what they had seen.

Sounds to me like we should leave him relatively lean to keep his great attribute!

They also said Ben wasn’t quite the homebody that Max was and would cope (and actually thrive) away from home. Not to expect him to necessarily come back to Melbourne.

Last edited:
My 2 bob's worth:

Gotta keep the bulk off Max. He seems from what I've read and seen to be an absolute freak below his knees for a guy his size. Much like what Verdon said above. We can have Paddy as the power fwd if they honestly believe we need one. Paddy to smash packs and kill kents, Max to embarrass them.

As for Ben, i reckon if he chooses to come home it's to play with Max. I can't see him wanting to come home and play anywhere else tbh. Here's hoping anyway

Last edited:
My 2 bob's worth:

Gotta keep the bulk off Max. He seems from what I've read and seen to be an absolute freak below his knees for a guy his size. Much like what Verdon said above. We can have Paddy as the power fwd if they honestly believe we need one. Paddy to smash packs and kill kents, Max to embarrass them.

As for Ben, i reckon if he chooses to come home it's to play with Max. I can't see him wanting to come home and play anywhere else tbh. Here's hoping anyway

Suggest you talk to Russell Caplan if you want accurate news on Ben’s future long term .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back