Welcome to the Stadiums Board

Remove this Banner Ad

After many, many requests I've added this board.

We might start with a thread on each major stadium, with the OP showing stats like seating capacity and a short history or timeline.

Hop to it, stadium freaks.

Already started a thread on the MCG and have more in the pipeline Chief. It's basic for starters but still holds some good information and it can definitely be expanded on when I get more done.

Are we eventually going to want to create a sub board for a general thread on each AFL ground or is that too premature. Otherwise, I feel they may get lost among inevitable stadium news.

Don't see why the threads for each stadium couldn't just be stickied. Unless there is a limit for how many you can sticky.

Here's a suggestion to help in clarification and tidiness (considering I've seen a few US posters in here already). Perhaps a compulsory thread prefix system. Almost all other boards use this form of thread identification. Considering the ever changing scope of stadia, I think it'd help a bit. I suggest:

'Current' for the grounds used in the AFL at the moment. This means the grounds coined 'home grounds'. The MCG, Etihad, AAMI Stadium, Skoda, and Subiaco are all examples of this. There is one grey area though – Manuka and Aurora. Both grounds service the Giants and Hawks respectively. Four games are played annually at each. Should these be considered primary? But then where does that leave ANZ Stadium or Bellerive?

'Past' will obviously see old grounds compiled (ala Brunswick St., Victoria Park, etc.) and is more for sentiment. I myself never saw many of these grounds.

'Future' might not get much of a workout yet. But as this section becomes more and more a part of BF, more threads will open. The current Adelaide Oval and new Perth stadium threads would be a part of this. A thread on the new SCG stands is probably impending as well.

'Non-AFL and Suburban' is definitely needed. There is one grey area, however. And that is of Alberton Oval. Port hardcores will say 'but we're one club'. However, Alberton has not hosted a VFL/AFL game, and is therefore just like Fremantle using South Freo's Fremantle Oval. There are also some really picturesque, beautiful grounds out of the AFL's consciousness. Why exclude them? In some ways, these prefixed threads could become more useful than Wikipedia or Austadiums.

The worst case scenario is that only a couple of posts occur, and the thread subsides into the latter (forgotten) pages. Plenty of threads in other sections have been, for example, 'worst grounds you've played on'. These could occur under the non-AFL section.

WAFL, SANFL, VFL, AFLNSW/QLD (or whatever it's called) would also be a part of this.

Just to add to that I'd have a "resource" prefix for thing like the stadium capacity thread :thumbsu: Maybe have a "discussion" prefix for threads like the "ready made ovals overseas" thread.

You'd probably include the grounds you mentioned in the present category because they are used in the afl at the moment (ie present afl grounds) and regularly host games year in year out.

Asking for permission to start threads on non-AFL, rectangular stadiums (SFS, AAMI Park, nib Stadium etc.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to find this thread, What thoughts you people have for Allianz Stadium, Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back