Toast Welcome to the SUNS, Bailey Humphrey

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It clearly was a berry long night

Joke Drums GIF by Bax Music

Thats right out of the 'Big Red Machine humour 101' playbook.

Gold Coast youngster Bailey Humphrey says he hopes to use his new-found platform as an AFL footballer to advocate for mental health awareness, two years on from the death of his best friend.
January 24 is a day of mourning for Humphrey and the Moe community, who woke up to the tragic news two years ago that Riley Pearce had taken his own life at the age of 17.

For Humphrey, it has felt like an age but also as if it was just yesterday that he lost his best mate.

Humphrey shared his battle with depression and anxiety and opened up on losing Riley in a frank and honest interview with News Corp in October last year.

Riley is also the cousin of Humphrey’s Suns teammate Ben Ainsworth, who hails from nearby Morwell.

Humphrey, one of the most talented prospects in the country after joining Gold Coast with the sixth selection in last year’s AFL Draft, says that Riley is always front of mind for him.

The 18-year-old strives to make Riley proud with everything he does – even just getting out of bed each morning.

“To be honest it’s been a bit of a journey obviously but coming up two years tomorrow … jeez. I hadn’t been thinking about (the anniversary) a great deal because of the footy and stuff but once you sit there and think about it, it’s been a long time but it feels like it was yesterday,” Humphrey told News Corp.

“Every day I try and do something … I try and make him proud just by getting out of bed, so everything I do he is at the front of my mind, 100 per cent.”

Humphrey said he will wear a Riley dedicated T-shirt – designed by one of his friends after his passing – in his honour, and check in with Riley’s parents, Andrew and Kerry, and his mates from Moe.

“People down my way at home it’s a very important weekend for the community,” he said.

“There will be a lot of checking in and there is a Facebook group chat as well, so there will be a fair bit of chat in that on what will be a hard day.
“I will probably wear his T-shirt that we all have, he is just always there in the front of my head so that will definitely be some part that I honour him with.

“But other than that I will reach out to a lot of people that I know were close to him.”

With a long weekend coming up, which can be a lonely time for some, Humphrey encouraged those that were struggling or “feeling like s---“ to speak up.

“Seek out, 100 per cent. You don’t need to be embarrassed or ashamed that you’re feeling like s---, I guess. You can actually talk to people about it because it’s probably one of the strongest things and a lot of people look up to people that talk,” Humphrey said.

Humphrey practices what he preaches.

While he considers himself “lucky” to be at the Suns, where he has received support from the club psychologist and coaches, Humphrey candidly admitted that he has struggled at times since making the move up north.

“I think it is just being lonely, it’s not normal. It’s something that I’m really working on – to get comfortable being uncomfortable. I guess it’s just the lonely part – I’m used to finishing school or footy training and going and hanging out with your mates but up here you finish footy and it’s you in your room and your thoughts,” he said.

“I’m not homesick, it’s probably been more lonely and stuff like that. But talking to people is the best thing and I’m pretty used to that now and I think one of my biggest strengths is talking when I’m feeling like crap.

“The psych and stuff at Gold Coast have checked in, a lot of the coaches that have (read the article last year) have checked up.”
Humphrey has been named as an ambassador Mindfull Aus since being drafted and hopes to engage in public speaking for the organisation in the near future to spread the message of mental health advocacy.

He is currently living with 2022 mid-season pick-up Oskar Faulkhead with a host family, and he is aiming for a round 1 AFL debut despite a slight knee niggle – stemming from his meniscus tear last year — which he is close to overcoming.

Looking forward to the practice game to have a look at him. If he has a knee niggle though I'd imagine they will be very conservative with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back