Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Ben King

Remove this Banner Ad

Training as a defender and still behind Wright, Day and Lukosius in the F50

Normally (imo) he would spend a year min. developing anyway. I think is Day FA at years end .. perhaps BK gets some time if it looks like there might be vacancy ?

Anyway .. good luck hope he signs and stays for a few years for you. The downside of drafting as much talent as you have is others will sweat on them. (Didn't one of the SA clubs already mention that post draft?)

Normally (imo) he would spend a year min. developing anyway. I think is Day FA at years end .. perhaps BK gets some time if it looks like there might be vacancy ?

Anyway .. good luck hope he signs and stays for a few years for you. The downside of drafting as much talent as you have is others will sweat on them. (Didn't one of the SA clubs already mention that post draft?)
Not just post-draft. Clubs were mentioning it pre-draft.

Hey Bods.. any idea if GC have offered an extension to young Ben K?
Heard Ash Brown say today that StKilda are already sniffing around. I certainly hope that means at the very earliest is two years time.
Do you think he will get some game time this year?
St Kilda may well be sniffing around, but if Ben & his brother are comparing their experiences at their respective clubs, it might end up being Max who wants to leave St Kilda.

St Kilda may well be sniffing around, but if Ben & his brother are comparing their experiences at their respective clubs, it might end up being Max who wants to leave St Kilda.

Well even though Max followed them and was there pre draft etc.. who knows you might be right. The attraction of going North is very much an unrealised advantage atm. If you could get the side trending the right way who knows. One thing is for sure .. all clubs have pressure to maintain good players when other clubs come for them .. just like us last year with Kelly.

Hey Suns fans,

On our blog this week we did a deep dive into Ben King's efficiency this year. Would love to know what you think of his year so far

Apologies for the long post but I have to post it all here - full article: https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/05/19/ftp-9/

It has gone under the radar given that the Gold Coast Sun’s have been underwhelming this year but Ben King has been ultra efficient as a key forward. King is currently 6th in the Coleman this year having kicked 25 goals. He has been efficient not only in his goal conversion (65.8% – which is the highest among the top 6) but has been efficient in terms of his supply. The Gold Coast Suns are currently 14th in the league for Inside 50’s averaging 49.6 a game. Jack Darling is the only player currently in the top 10 for the Coleman that plays for a team that averages less I50’s.

In saying this, West Coast are a bit of an anomaly when it comes to their scoring efficiency going inside 50 – they average the second most goals in the competition with the 3rd worst Inside 50 rate! If we factor for this and put West Coast aside, King’s year is even more astonishing. Taking out West Coast players, his team averages less inside 50’s than the top 15 Coleman leaders.

1621559699129.png

If we look at how many goals Gold Coast has kicked for the year, Ben King has kicked 27% of their goals! He has had an incredible year so far – taking his (limited) opportunities when they arise.

It’s pretty interesting that Ben King’s efficiency is the polar opposite of his twin brothers’ current form, who is struggling to convert on the scoreboard. One thing that differentiates Ben from his brother (they are both going to be superstars) is that Ben is incredibly mobile at ground level for his size. Look at how he competes aerially but then is able to make space for himself at ground level.

He is able to kick goals at ground level – which allows him to be a scoring avenue outside of his marking and set shot ability.

The Gold Coast Sun’s having taken a step back after a smashing against Brisbane in the Q-Clash. They’d want to turn their form around and prove to players like Ben King that the club is on the way up – otherwise the murmurings about him leaving for St Kilda may become more than just that. For the sake of the competition, lets hope Gold Coast can turn things around and take some scalps in the second half of the year

Great write up. Astounds me how little kudos Ben gets. Every article talks up Max, but Ben is leading nearly every key area playing in an (a least currently on form) worse side, and actually kicks goals...

His year has been great, but he gets dragged through the media and crucified regularly because it doesn’t match the popular narrative.

I hope he stays. He seems driven and wants to forge his own career. If he went to Saints he would be in his brother’s shadow—no matter who the better player may be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old mate Dickhead Mick Warner said on the herald sun footy podcast that Ben King is $1.01 to leave GC at the end of next year.

He and Robbo discussed the Suns for a bit. Warner enjoyed making cheap little digs in a number of different fashions.

Old mate Dickhead Mick Warner said on the herald sun footy podcast that Ben King is $1.01 to leave GC at the end of next year.

He and Robbo discussed the Suns for a bit. Warner enjoyed making cheap little digs in a number of different fashions.
If Ben does leave at the end of next year then we may as well just shut the place down

Think Ben's continued improvement is very encouraging.

I think his hands are getting stronger.
He is definitely taking more marks

Less than 0-3 marks
2019: 50% of games
2020: 76% of games
2021: 10% games

4 - 6 marks
2019: 42% games
2020: 17% of games
2021: 60% games

7 or more marks
2019: 8% of games
2020: 7% of games
2021: 30% games

He is obviously kicking more goals.
As mentioned by Joey Montagna on the MMM commentary yesterday even on a 'quiet' day he bobs up for a couple of goals.
Aaron Naughton is the only player in the league with more multiple goal games this year.

We've been hurt before so maybe a little tender but I have to ask. any word on how happy he is here/likely to re sign?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back