Welcome Welcome to the Suns: Charlie Constable

Damo T

Team Captain
Aug 3, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Really looking forward to see Charlie Constable apply his trade. Never underestimate the power of someone that has something to prove. Not only will he bring a much needed mature body but he will add to competition for list spots. At worst will strengthen our VFL side and show the kids the level is required. Great pick up. I wouldn't be surprised if he will be the steal of 2022. GO THE SUNS.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
If his endurance is bad, it's almost always about how he defends.
IF his opposition midfielder just runs away from him and has significant influence toward the end of the game, it's hard to play him.

I'm not sure id say bad, CC is a footballer before athlete. He is a classic offensive accumulator. The one thing he has done well at every level is to build stats numbers. He will float forward and kick goals at times. I don't think his natural game is to defend and he is not a natural runner like someone that get drafted are. Its a matter for the MC to determine if his positives outweigh his negatives

With some other older players locked in our side he could not be selected.

I wish all the best.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not sure id say bad, CC is a footballer before athlete. He is a classic offensive accumulator. The one thing he has done well at every level is to build stats numbers. He will float forward and kick goals at times. I don't think his natural game is to defend and he is not a natural runner like someone that get drafted are. Its a matter for the MC to determine if his positives outweigh his negatives

With some other older players locked in our side he could not be selected.

I wish all the best.
Sounds like Fiorini.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Tend to disagree on Fiorini. Defends quite hard and he’s a pretty good aerobic runner, he just doesn’t have good top end speed
Haven’t noticed the defensive side.
personally. Will keep an eye on it when have the chance to attend a few more games in person.

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Haven’t noticed the defensive side.
personally. Will keep an eye on it when have the chance to attend a few more games in person.
Ranked 3rd amongst all suns for tackles and was 3rd amongst suns midfielders in intercepts.

Again I don't think it's that he doesn't try defensively, I think he's just not quite as good at chasing players on the outside due to top end speed but he tends to drop back and zone better than a lot of our mids.

The Gotham Penguin

Give me fish - and The Batman!
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'll ask this here as probably a better place.
Obviously being down south I don't get to see much of the ressies or training (none tbh) so what's happening with Charlie?

It's like Geelong all over again - he seems to be getting the job done in the two's but has not had a chance in the seniors.

I thought his biggest knock was his fitness - as in Geelongs AFL side he was having 70% gametime max, often less.

Can you local watchers tell me:
Has his tank improved
Is it an attitudinal thing - body language, not doing the 'team thing'
Or are we just going so well, there hasn't been an opening?

I was hoping that maybe he would be considered this week, to allow Swallow more time at half-back and give his busted up knees some respite from his midfield time recently - but Constable isn't even in the discussions.

Any ideas why he can't get a game?

He's played 12 AFL games getting over 20 touches 5 times, and 1 x 31 touches and a goal.Averages 3 tackles a game and has kicked 6 goals

Yet 12 games at 23 years of age.

I'd love to hear the opinions of people who have seen him at training / reserves what they think is the issue.

Surely he deserves a go to see what he can do?

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'll ask this here as probably a better place.
Obviously being down south I don't get to see much of the ressies or training (none tbh) so what's happening with Charlie?

It's like Geelong all over again - he seems to be getting the job done in the two's but has not had a chance in the seniors.

I thought his biggest knock was his fitness - as in Geelongs AFL side he was having 70% gametime max, often less.

Can you local watchers tell me:
Has his tank improved
Is it an attitudinal thing - body language, not doing the 'team thing'
Or are we just going so well, there hasn't been an opening?

I was hoping that maybe he would be considered this week, to allow Swallow more time at half-back and give his busted up knees some respite from his midfield time recently - but Constable isn't even in the discussions.

Any ideas why he can't get a game?

He's played 12 AFL games getting over 20 touches 5 times, and 1 x 31 touches and a goal.Averages 3 tackles a game and has kicked 6 goals

Yet 12 games at 23 years of age.

I'd love to hear the opinions of people who have seen him at training / reserves what they think is the issue.

Surely he deserves a go to see what he can do?
You can re-watch all Suns VFL games on afl.com.au. This should give you a pretty good idea.

He is only on 1 year contract. I believe he was drafted to provide depth after Greenwood left in case of injuries.

IMO. He gets a ball a lot in the middle in VFL but not in the best 22 AFL. Probably no stand out AFL traits. No attitude issues, works hard, good teammate, nice bloke. Will he get opportunity? Probably not unless injuries hit as better players are ahead of him at the moment. Better than Tsitas.

Probably de-listed at the end of season depending on list size.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Subiaco Lions
You can re-watch all Suns VFL games on afl.com.au. This should give you a pretty good idea.

He is only on 1 year contract. I believe he was drafted to provide depth after Greenwood left in case of injuries.

IMO. He gets a ball a lot in the middle in VFL but not in the best 22 AFL. Probably no stand out AFL traits. No attitude issues, works hard, good teammate, nice bloke. Will he get opportunity? Probably not unless injuries hit as better players are ahead of him at the moment. Better than Tsitas.

Pretty sure he has a 2 year deal standard to all ND draftees.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

The Gotham Penguin

Give me fish - and The Batman!
Sep 26, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Thanks Jirik

There was a knock on his 'attitude' down here at times - lazy, seemed a bit 'disinterested'

Good to know he has worked on this.

I guess this is my concern with fringe guys - we will never know if a change of club has made a better player until they play the better games - AFL level, in Charlies case.

There is something there - I guess I get a bit peeved that someone who has moved so far away to get a shot, just doesn't when players who patently don't care - like McPherson - keep getting 'yet another chance'

I hope he gets a go - if not up to it - fair enough.

I actually saw that game against Melbourne - 31 touches, 1 goal, 5 clearances, 4 tackles and 4 marks - in less than 70% gametime!

It must be so frustrating to be so close to cracking the big time, and just not quite.

I'm sure he can follow HG to Norf if we decide to cut him - he'd be best 22 there easily.

Thanks mate

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Thanks Jirik

There was a knock on his 'attitude' down here at times - lazy, seemed a bit 'disinterested'

Good to know he has worked on this.

I guess this is my concern with fringe guys - we will never know if a change of club has made a better player until they play the better games - AFL level, in Charlies case.

There is something there - I guess I get a bit peeved that someone who has moved so far away to get a shot, just doesn't when players who patently don't care - like McPherson - keep getting 'yet another chance'

I hope he gets a go - if not up to it - fair enough.

I actually saw that game against Melbourne - 31 touches, 1 goal, 5 clearances, 4 tackles and 4 marks - in less than 70% gametime!

It must be so frustrating to be so close to cracking the big time, and just not quite.

I'm sure he can follow HG to Norf if we decide to cut him - he'd be best 22 there easily.

Thanks mate
I did feel sorry for Constable when he was a sub in Darwin against Hawks. Not knowing words of song, he did look lost a bit in a circle. He may still get a chance.

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I did feel sorry for Constable when he was a sub in Darwin against Hawks. Not knowing words of song, he did look lost a bit in a circle. He may still get a chance.
He would definitely know the words of the song.
Would have sung it multiple times in the VFL already.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He would definitely know the words of the song.
Would have sung it multiple times in the VFL already.
You would think so. Did you watch him during the song? Maybe he was not excited, who knows, looked like only to be able to repeat some words.

Last edited:

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Did you watch him during the song? Maybe he was not excited, who knows, looked like only to be able to repeat some words.
No
If he doesn't know the words that's pathetic and an insight into how interested he is in participating in the team environment.

Back