Welcome Welcome to the SUNS, Connor Blakely

Remove this Banner Ad

“Connor already has strong relationships with a couple of our players in Lachie Weller and Sam Collins and is someone the playing group wanted as a teammate so we’re really happy to secure Connor."

Is a great hard ball winner and accumulator, just don’t give this bloke the ball in front of goal. He has only kicked 3 goals in his 80+ game career and kicked 13 behinds. Less than a 25% chance to kick the goal. That’s where his game lets him down. If he could transform into a damaging ball winning mid who can hit the scoreboard often that would be great.

Is a great hard ball winner and accumulator, just don’t give this bloke the ball in front of goal. He has only kicked 3 goals in his 80+ game career and kicked 13 behinds. Less than a 25% chance to kick the goal. That’s where his game lets him down. If he could transform into a damaging ball winning mid who can hit the scoreboard often that would be great.
If Blakely plays any AFL games next season, something has gone horribly wrong.

Last edited:

Put Ellis back to a HBF with Long, Hollands and Sharp take the wings.
That’s what I currently have in my projected team, as Ellis has drifted back a few times.

Depends on Will Powell, who could slot back in defence or also drift up the ground again.

“Connor already has strong relationships with a couple of our players in Lachie Weller and Sam Collins and is someone the playing group wanted as a teammate so we’re really happy to secure Connor."

This was interesting - signed on the recommendation of Weller and Collins?

So a good bloke, but as others have said, not sure where he plays besides the VFL.

Standard setter for the kids? Strange selection IMHO, especially when we could have taken another youngster for less $$$ (not that he will be on much surely?) or saved another Mid-season spot in case of injury.

Anyway - welcome Connor.

So a good bloke, but as others have said, not sure where he plays besides the VFL.

Standard setter for the kids? Strange selection IMHO, especially when we could have taken another youngster for less $$$ (not that he will be on much surely?) or saved another Mid-season spot in case of injury.

Anyway - welcome Connor.

I think it is a good mix of draftees for where we are at (still a bit young).

A couple of 18 year olds (Humphrey and Johnston), one of which is very raw but has the talent and atheltic ability to make it.
Then a couple of delisted older players (one mid and one defender) who are both desperate to get on a list and then desperate to give it everything in training and the VFL to try and crack an AFL spot.

Might not have the right players but the strategy is good.

Don't want to be too young. We still have Uwland, Brock, Moyle and Faulkhead who are rookie and mid-season picks from the last 18 months who are under 21 (and the last three have played some good games in the VFL already).

I think it is a good mix of draftees for where we are at (still a bit young).

A couple of 18 year olds (Humphrey and Johnston), one of which is very raw but has the talent and atheltic ability to make it.
Then a couple of delisted older players (one mid and one defender) who are both desperate to get on a list and then desperate to give it everything in training and the VFL to try and crack an AFL spot.

Might not have the right players but the strategy is good.

Don't want to be too young. We still have Uwland, Brock, Moyle and Faulkhead who are rookie and mid-season picks from the last 18 months who are under 21 (and the last three have played some good games in the VFL already).

Agree 100% mate. :thumbsu:

Anderson and Stein can certainly play in the 1sts, maybe even compete for best 22 - and if not, show the kids the right way to approach AFL football whilst playing VFL.
Seems Blakely must be a solid clubman, good to have around the place, and a resource for the young 'uns maybe?

It will be interesting to see if Anderson, Stein and Blakely do anything to wake Rory 'sleepy' Atkins up and make an effort this year!

Connor Blakely:

“The conditions were pretty challenging but the boys were right into it. There were really good numbers on the track.

“I was able to do most of the session aside from a couple of things – still just easing into it a bit. I got in pretty late last night, Sam Collins picked me up from the airport and I’m staying with him for a week which will be good.

“I played at Freo with Sam and Lachie Weller too – we were drafted together so we lived together for a bit too and he was one of my best mates at the club. I’ve met a few of the other boys too, there’s still plenty of boys to meet on Monday, but it’s been nice.

“Sam lives on the creek in Tallebudgera Creek so I’ll probably try hit the beach on the weekend and explore a bit. I’ve been up here to the Coast a few times before and I just love it up here.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway - welcome Connor.

Wasnt the background at Freo was he fell out with that playing group?

Another players girfriend involved?

Hope he plays against Freo at some point.

Would be interesting to see how well or poorly he goes.
I really hope he succeeds but I watch a lot of the wafl team and he just seems a wafl player at this point

Erasmus and Johnson took 1 year to go past him, Crowden was the better player for peel last year, if anyone got picked up it should've been him

Ah well, hopefully proves me wrong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back