Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

I totally agree and hope he enjoys living and playing on the Gold Coast for many years to come.
I know you blokes would like him and Jack both to head home asap, and I can understand that, but I'm not sure if you're aware or, for that matter, your allies on the BF Adelaide board are aware, that we have 11 SA blokes on our list and not one of them has asked to go home...... YET.
The GC is a 2nd home to all of them. We love them here and they appear to like being here.......it's the VIC Metro boys who seem to miss their mummys the most.
Correction, Vic metro boys miss the brown paper bags of cash under the table cash and girls that throw themselves at any footballer

Correction, Vic metro boys miss the brown paper bags of cash under the table cash and girls that throw themselves at any footballer

Oh c'mon,......and their mummys too, and cars for their g/f's, and sisters getting a spot on an AFLW squad, with limited experience, and wives getting a job above their pay grade...o_Oo_O

Last edited:
Oh c'mon,......and their mummys too, and cars for their g/f's, and sisters getting a spot on an AFLW squad, with limited experience, and wives getting a job above their pay grade...o_Oo_O
I understand taking the piss out of players when they leave the club. We are all passionate about the Gold Coast Suns and the players. But the women mentioned exclusively in your post owe you and the club nothing.
Having a go at mothers, sisters and girlfriends just because someone in their family decided to play sport for a new team is just petty.

I understand taking the piss out of players when they leave the club. We are all passionate about the Gold Coast Suns and the players. But the women mentioned exclusively in your post owe you and the club nothing.
Having a go at mothers, sisters and girlfriends just because someone in their family decided to play sport for a new team is just petty.

I don’t think he’s having a crack at the women, he’s having a crack at the ethics of the Vic Clubs and the weak AFL administration.

Not having a go at all. I'm having a dig at the underhand way some Vic clubs are getting around the so-called supposed salary cap.....

Any reports how hes been tracking?
Hadn't been kicked out of any pubs yet so, so far so good.

I imagine he's just putting his head down and working hard while getting accustomed to the whole deal, Should start finding out more in the run up to the JLT.

Hadn't been kicked out of any pubs yet so, so far so good.

I imagine he's just putting his head down and working hard while getting accustomed to the whole deal, Should start finding out more in the run up to the JLT.

Hes doing better than me.

EXCITING Gold Coast draftee Izak Rankine misses home for a reason you might not expect.

The South Australian arrived at the Suns as pick No.3 in the NAB AFL Draft and, after initially staying at CEO Mark Evans' place, has found his feet as teammate Sean Lemmens' flatmate.

The 18-year-old is enjoying the move north and is dreaming of a round one debut after watching the careers of Collingwood's Jaidyn Stephenson and Brisbane's Cameron Rayner closely.

But the smooth-moving talent, likened to Andrew McLeod for his freakish exploits close to goal, is missing something.

"I can't really swim too well, but back in Adelaide there's lot of jetties you jump off," he said.

"There's a bridge or two here, but nothing like back home. I've got to learn to surf I guess, but the beaches here are crazy, massive waves."
The natural talent, who joined fellow South Australian Jack Lukosius and Victorian Ben King as the club's big three draft additions, is aware of the hype around his game.

"It kind gives me a little laugh, I'm not going to lie," he said.

"It's good to hear but you don't take much notice, it's just me playing footy, having fun and if people take it that way that's cool.

"I go out and have fun and try and entertain the crowd. You want people to come and watch you and have a good time."

Coach Stuart Dew has made clear there will be no debuts gifted to butter up the club's bright new hopes, but under Lemmens' wing Rankine is hopeful of earning one anyway.

"That's the next challenge, that's what this preseason has been about, being ready for the next step," Rankin said.

"Sean, he does everything right and I get to see what it means to be professional, and Stuey's big point has been that everything we do needs to be done professionally.

"We're from a similar background and he's really helped me settle."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-28/new-sun-still-adapting-to-gold-coasts-crazy-beaches

Him living with Lemmens is the best thing for him. Lemmens is the hardest working player at the club so Izak should learn a thing or two about professionalism. Also being from a Indigenous background should help Izak settle

Sean may also unlock the secrets to " How to get selected even when you shouldn't!";)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace. I just thought i'd post an article i read and i have always felt strongly rankine will head home sooner rather than later however maybe that is wide of the mark if this is anything to go by

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/go...d/news-story/ca31746e61620f4b5042f81da2d372df
This has been the noise coming from the club and from Rankine from day 1. The majority of noise about him wanting to go home ‘sooner rather than later’ has mostly just come from Adelaide or Port Adelaide supporters. At a time where the club is very serious about bringing in people that will stay long term, if Rankine didn’t look like he’d stay, I highly doubt we would have drafted him.

This has been the noise coming from the club and from Rankine from day 1. The majority of noise about him wanting to go home ‘sooner rather than later’ has mostly just come from Adelaide or Port Adelaide supporters. At a time where the club is very serious about bringing in people that will stay long term, if Rankine didn’t look like he’d stay, I highly doubt we would have drafted him.
Yeah maybe. Back here in adelaide the talk in junior footy ranks was that he would almost certainly come back and to the crows but maybe things change. I did have a passing thought that part of the strategy in securing carlton's 2019 1st rounder was that the crows saw that as being a top 2 pick and it most likely would have been a great chip to offer if he did want to leave. Time will tell but that interview seems to say different that he is quite settled and happy

Great article. Love the positivity from him. And how it’s not what the club appears from the outside

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
The media has loved to beat on us due to poor onfield performance (justified) and players leaving (unjustified). The players leaving says more about them than it does us as a club.

Don’t mean to sound defeatist, and I love rankine as much as any, but this is the same crap that Lynch was spouting at the start of last year:

“I love the Gold Coast”
“I love the surf”
“The team is on the right track”
“I love the anonymity”
“I just want to see progress and I’ll sign”

And in 2 years he’s the first one to blame “missing mummy” for the reason he’s signing a million $$ contract.

When Izak puts pen to paper and extends his contract I’ll believe it - until then this is just interview BS

Don’t mean to sound defeatist, and I love rankine as much as any, but this is the same crap that Lynch was spouting at the start of last year:

“I love the Gold Coast”
“I love the surf”
“I love the anonymity”

And in 2 years he’s the first one to blame “missing mummy” for the reason he’s signing a million $$ contract.

When Izak puts pen to paper and extends his contract I’ll believe it - until then this is just interview BS
It’s the same stuff Touk says as well though, same as Swallow and Witts and Day. It just depends on your outlook. The fact that he’s talking about how different it is internally than what is said about the club in the newspapers tells me that we’re doing the right stuff in the process of keeping him at the club

“I love the Gold Coast”
“I love the surf”
“I love the anonymity”

I don't think one can really compare Lynch/May situation with draftees one. Lynch went through s**t for 7 years, every year told that Suns will rise. Lynch and May body language was terrible the last year. They should never be captains but that's another story. Suns really did not lose any draftees except Caddy. Young players seem to buy into Dew's system. Even last year, Ballard and Powell extended happily.

Suns just need to show improvement and go home factor will be gone. Quite opposite, GC will be attractive place for many players once we start winning. Regular schedule, new coaches and Cordy (big hope) should make a difference. Richmond played 5 away games and won only one (against Suns). I would love to see how they would go playing 9 away games in a row. Or look at Port after China game last year. No wonder they moved China game to round 11 this year despite risking playing in 30+ degrees.

My only worry is it takes time to integrate so many new players. But then I expect only 3-5 new players play round 1 (Rankine, Lukosius, Miles, Hombsh, Murdoch).

Another issue is age but again my best 35 list average age is still not bad - 23yr 10mth.

Go Suns.

I don't think one can really compare Lynch/May situation with draftees one. Lynch went through s**t for 7 years, every year told that Suns will rise. Lynch and May body language was terrible the last year. They should never be captains but that's another story. Suns really did not lose any draftees except Caddy. Young players seem to buy into Dew's system. Even last year, Ballard and Powell extended happily.

Suns just need to show improvement and go home factor will be gone. Quite opposite, GC will be attractive place for many players once we start winning. Regular schedule, new coaches and Cordy (big hope) should make a difference. Richmond played 5 away games and won only one (against Suns). I would love to see how they would go playing 9 away games in a row. Or look at Port after China game last year. No wonder they moved China game to round 11 this year despite risking playing in 30+ degrees.

My only worry is it takes time to integrate so many new players. But then I expect only 3-5 new players play round 1 (Rankine, Lukosius, Miles, Hombsh, Murdoch).

Another issue is age but again my best 35 list average age is still not bad - 23yr 10mth.

Go Suns.
I think that with carlton's woes you guys are now a good chance to at least be above them come seasons end. What will be crucial to your chances of holding onto the players is what sort of protection the new draftees will be given on the field as if they are targeted on field by rival clubs they could get smashed most weeks physically and if the losses pile up it could become demoralising for them. If the other more senior players can really stand up physically and help shield these guys and you are quite competitive then it could be a different story. It will be interesting to see how they all go this year as i think the comp will be quite even making wins very hard earned for most teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back