Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Jack Lukosius

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Ballard could prove to be the shrewdest recruiting move in our history.
Intentional with the Lukosius foresite or would that be giving the club too much credit?
Pick #2 in 2017 went to Freo for Lachie Weller and pick #42, which became Charlie Ballard. Looked to a lot of fans like the worst trade ever, but it has turned out bloody marvelous!

He might be skinny now but if you've ever seen pictures of fyfe when he was in under 18s before he'd even done a full preseason he aint that skinny.
Trust me in saying being skinny isn't a problem.

Pick #2 in 2017 went to Freo for Lachie Weller and pick #42, which became Charlie Ballard. Looked to a lot of fans like the worst trade ever, but it has turned out bloody marvelous!

I'm very happy we've got Lachie and Charlie. Add a lot to our side on and off court.
I'll be following LDU with interest. He could still turn into an excellent player. We've got the clear edge so far though.
I think Freo would be pretty happy too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He might be skinny now but if you've ever seen pictures of fyfe when he was in under 18s before he'd even done a full preseason he aint that skinny.
Trust me in saying being skinny isn't a problem.
His Dad isn't a slim guy from instagram photos posted here so don't think he'll have any issues putting on size.

I'm very happy we've got Lachie and Charlie. Add a lot to our side on and off court.
I'll be following LDU with interest. He could still turn into an excellent player. We've got the clear edge so far though.
I think Freo would be pretty happy too.
Well, Freo got a Brayshaw, who is a bit like McLennan in that he has family in the West and less of a wantaway element. North ended up with LDU because Carlton wanted Dow, but I wasn't enamoured with any of the Top 5 after Rayner. Stephenson was probably the player in hindsight who I'd have wanted at pick #2, but since it can't be changed I think Weller and Ballard will do nicely.

Well, Freo got a Brayshaw, who is a bit like McLennan in that he has family in the West and less of a wantaway element. North ended up with LDU because Carlton wanted Dow, but I wasn't enamoured with any of the Top 5 after Rayner. Stephenson was probably the player in hindsight who I'd have wanted at pick #2, but since it can't be changed I think Weller and Ballard will do nicely.
Stephenson was crossed off the list by both Brisbane and us due to his heart condition having potential issues in the heat supposedly.

Stephenson was crossed off the list by both Brisbane and us due to his heart condition having potential issues in the heat supposedly.
I imagine some clubs are kicking themselves now in regards to this. He has had no issue with his heart, I guess he takes good medication for that.
A lot of clubs were very hesitant in taking that risk, and understandable; but no risk no reward, but it's also why he did slide down the draft.

I imagine some clubs are kicking themselves now in regards to this. He has had no issue with his heart, I guess he takes good medication for that.
A lot of clubs were very hesitant in taking that risk, and understandable; but no risk no reward, but it's also why he did slide down the draft.
I can imagine the other Victorian clubs would regret it, but apparently there was genuine risk with him living in a hotter climate that it could cause issues.

Yup this kind of thing is quite common in soccer ( some survive and some collapse on field ).

Yup this kind of thing is quite common in soccer ( some survive and some collapse on field ).
Thats from undiagnosed hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy or a congenital long QT syndrome. Both can cause fatal arrythmias.
You need a defib/pacemaker with either of those. I'm 100% sure Stephenson doesn't have that.
He probably just has some SVT kind of thing.

Edit: Hm, so apparently other members of his family have it. Must be some other rare congenital pro-arrhtymic thing, he takes beta blockers.

Last edited:

Yeah I know who went where.
Thought it was expected that we would have taken LDU if we retained pick 2 which is why I will be interested to see how his career play out.
Brayshaw looked good last year and Freo have kind of done a mini rebuild in a way so I expect they'd be happy with a young midfielder that got better as the year went on and looks a top prospect.

To be honest, the Weller deal happened early on and killed my interest in the Draft last year. I was more interested in seeing how we'd fare after the West Coast deal, which turned into a disaster.

What is your take on Brisbane's trade into the 1st round with the Suns? Best case scenario is that the Suns come last and the Lions win the Flag, which gives the Lions picks at the top of the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but the Suns only pick at the end of the 1st round. Worst case scenario for the Lions is they come last and the Suns get pick #1. Similar finishes to 2018 and the Suns will have a couple more very high picks.

Yeah I know who went where.
Thought it was expected that we would have taken LDU if we retained pick 2 which is why I will be interested to see how his career play out.
Brayshaw looked good last year and Freo have kind of done a mini rebuild in a way so I expect they'd be happy with a young midfielder that got better as the year went on and looks a top prospect.
Can't say who Clayton would have picked, really, which is why I listed everyone. Cerra is one guy I'd have liked, but there were strong rumours he was looking for a transfer this offseason. Don't know that it was a good draft to be spending that pick #2 on a player.

I can imagine the other Victorian clubs would regret it, but apparently there was genuine risk with him living in a hotter climate that it could cause issues.
Ohh right, the QLD heat is certainly different, and could never be quite sure how that could affect someone with a heart condition. Fair point.

eta: Its rare what he has. Something both his mother and sister has.
The ailment was described by renowned sports medico Dr Peter Larkins as a genetic form of arrhythmia, with Stephenson requiring six beta blockers per day

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back