Welcome Welcome to the SUNS, Jake Stein

Remove this Banner Ad

Stein joins the SUNS after six seasons with GWS, where he played 20 AFL matches as a key defender.

“Jake gives us some maturity and depth down back with our key defensive stocks – he’s played a lot of football this year with GWS and can slot straight in when required to play a role for us on match day.”

Interesting background with Jake

"The Giants signed former Commonwealth Games decathlete Jake Stein as a category B rookie ahead of the 2017 season. Stein is an exciting prospect hailing from Penrith in Western Sydney. A World Youth Athletic Championships Gold Medallist in 2011, Stein represented Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow before giving away the sport"

Apparently Stein has a decent set of wheels on him - an Oleg replacement?

His times of 4 mins 43 secs for 1500m and 50 secs for the 400m show he can break the lines

195cm & 95kg is a decent size too!

Some run and carry off the half-back would be an excellent addition, especially with LW still out for sometime. And unlike Oleg, our guys will at least have some idea where the ball is going!

Will leave Ellis free to stay on a wing,where he plays his best football IMHO.

The concern though, is that at 28, he has only played 20 games after debuting as a 25yr old.

Basically - the same size as Sarge, with the pace of Oleg. With the injuries we have, it certainly gives Stein the opportunity to grab that HBF slot.

Welcome Jake!

Capture.JPG

Interesting background with Jake

"The Giants signed former Commonwealth Games decathlete Jake Stein as a category B rookie ahead of the 2017 season. Stein is an exciting prospect hailing from Penrith in Western Sydney. A World Youth Athletic Championships Gold Medallist in 2011, Stein represented Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow before giving away the sport"

Apparently Stein has a decent set of wheels on him - an Oleg replacement?

His times of 4 mins 43 secs for 1500m and 50 secs for the 400m show he can break the lines

195cm & 95kg is a decent size too!

Some run and carry off the half-back would be an excellent addition, especially with LW still out for sometime. And unlike Oleg, our guys will at least have some idea where the ball is going!

Will leave Ellis free to stay on a wing,where he plays his best football IMHO.

The concern though, is that at 28, he has only played 20 games after debuting as a 25yr old.

Basically - the same size as Sarge, with the pace of Oleg. With the injuries we have, it certainly gives Stein the opportunity to grab that HBF slot.

Welcome Jake!

View attachment 1566430
If he has that pace he doesn't know how to use it in games lol

If he has that pace he doesn't know how to use it in games lol
Strange isn't it.
I'd have thought with the athletics background he would be used more aerobically not as a one v one defender.
Maybe SD has a cunning plan.

Certainly a bit to work with though, which has to help with our defensive injury crisis. :thumbsu:

Jake Stein:

“All the boys were really welcoming – they’re a great group of lads.

“It’s good to be back training hard. The wind made it pretty hard to impress the boys and the coaches on the first day, but I got a few decent kicks away in the session so it ended up alright.

“A few of the boys have messaged me over the last few days. Rory Atkins knows a few of my mates so I’ve been messaging him a bit and he’s been really welcoming.

“It’s the same as it was six years ago – I didn’t know too many faces at the Giants but it’s good to have good lads here to make it all easier.

If Stein becomes a genuine alternative to Caleb Graham then he'll be worth his weight in gold for us. I really think Graham has been given a lot of games purely because of his height and that's probably affected his development to some degree because he's likely not as desperate as he would be if he was fighting tooth and nail for a spot in our best 22. Perhaps Brinn Little will also add more pressure if he gets through our SSP trial.

Anyway. Best of luck to Stein and hopefully he can significantly contribute to our VFL side at the very least.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back