Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Jeremy Sharp

Remove this Banner Ad

Think you're getting carried away criticising a player who has been in the system 12 months without watching much of his play. Changkuoth Jiath was nothing 12 months ago. Not every player comes on like Noah Anderson, Izak Rankine, Ben King or Matt Rowell.
Possibly
5 years ago I never wanted to see Sean Lemmens in a Suns jumper again so I have been known to get things wrong from time to time

Possibly
5 years ago I never wanted to see Sean Lemmens in a Suns jumper again so I have been known to get things wrong from time to time
A sentiment shared by everyone. Development isn't linear. Some players truly take time to adjust to the rigours of AFL life and football.

Yet to see any evidence of this "speed".He runs cheat lines and his kicks are loopy little popguns
Brodie is an excellent overhead mark and great kick for goal.Agree his passing can be suspect but unlike Sharp his kicks come in traffic with heat

Just kicked a goal from 60m on the run...

I'm not going to try and bury my initial thoughts on JS because he was only 18 and no doubt I went early-but nonetheless he looked totally lost
I think as a long time Suns supporter we've seen these guys and they've maintained that "I'm lost slow and can't hit a barn wall with either foot"throughout their entire career despite being relatively high picks
If we are actually seeing our rookie talent develop like this it's such a win for the Club because the Sharp playing on the weekend bore zero resemblance to the Sharp in those first 2 games
Never been more pleased to be wrong and if this is an indication of what's changing at the Club we are definitely on the right track
If its the Rhys Shaw effect-even better

I'm not going to try and bury my initial thoughts on JS because he was only 18 and no doubt I went early-but nonetheless he looked totally lost
I think as a long time Suns supporter we've seen these guys and they've maintained that "I'm lost slow and can't hit a barn wall with either foot"throughout their entire career despite being relatively high picks
If we are actually seeing our rookie talent develop like this it's such a win for the Club because the Sharp playing on the weekend bore zero resemblance to the Sharp in those first 2 games
Never been more pleased to be wrong and if this is an indication of what's changing at the Club we are definitely on the right track
If its the Rhys Shaw effect-even better
I think what’s been great this year, something that brings a lot of hope for the next few years that didn’t previously is that guys are getting sent to the reserves and genuinely improving. It’s comfortably been the best part of having a merged VFL is having quality opponents each week.

Ainsworth was horribly out of form in the 1’s to start the year. Sent back for a few weeks, comes back in and has been one of our best ever since. Fiorini the same (although was stuck there longer than the others)

now we have Sharp, who has genuinely been improving playing VFL football. Jeffries looks like he’ll be a similar case next year, as do Davies, Hollands etc.

Historically our young guys only ever developed if we threw them in the deep end in the AFL. That doesn’t look to be the case anymore.

What a leap from game 1 to game 6.
He had fair dinkum concrete boots in game 1.....and was covering the ground for 4 quarters in game 6.
Wasn't Sharpy hurt when he debuted? I'm fairly sure I remember that was the story that came out after his first game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get the feeling he’ll be a really consistent player going forward.

I get the feeling he’ll be more of an attacking winger with Brandon playing that defensive winger role.

with Brandon out he’ll probably play more defensive with Atkins more attacking.

ultimately an Isaac smith like player kicking regular goals from outside 50 - or streaking down the wing into the goal square like he did against Richmond (and gws when king burnt him) is definitely possible.

You get the feeling he’ll be a really consistent player going forward.

I get the feeling he’ll be more of an attacking winger with Brandon playing that defensive winger role.

with Brandon out he’ll probably play more defensive with Atkins more attacking.

ultimately an Isaac smith like player kicking regular goals from outside 50 - or streaking down the wing into the goal square like he did against Richmond (and gws when king burnt him) is definitely possible.
I have the same projections

Remove this Banner Ad

Back