Toast Welcome to the SUNS Lachie Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

Gave up a lot, but what is done is done.

It's like a totally new midfield

Weller will be a great player for you guys. It might seem like you gave up too much, but he'll lead your midfield within the next 2-3 years. Count on it.

Hope he has a great career for you guys. Think he's really primed to take it up a notch 2018. Good luck to him/you.

Watch a reply of his game against Adelaide's midfield. 30 touches at 80%, works both ways 7 rebound 50's and kicked 2 of Freo's only 6 goals.
Against Geelong 23 possession and 9 inside 50's.
Contested numbers will increase without Fyfe, Neale and Mundy hogging it.
Welcome aboard Lachie.

I think Weller will be an okay player for the Suns but #2 ??

And then throwing in Matera seems like way overs.

Hope it works out for you guys, after losing Gazza, you need to bounce back with a solid year in 2018.
Matera was a separate trade.

Matera for a future 3rd rounder
Weller and 41 for Pick 2, points wise equal to pick 4

On ZTE T84 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does look like overs on the surface.. but I guess its choosing one young gun midfielder who actually wants to play for the Gold Coast over another young gun midfielder who potentially goes home in 2 years.

Weller was rated highly for a reason too.

Weller, Miller, Ainsworth, Brodie, Fiorini, Bowes and Scrimshaw is a pretty top end young talent brigade.

We wanted to contract him for another 4 years, we rate him. Played him out of position due to list needs by playing him in defence, he belongs in the midfield and will be a jet for you, at only 21 or 22 (can't remember which) his best years are ahead of him. Durable, no off field issues, he should be a 200+ game player for you.

It does look like overs on the surface.. but I guess its choosing one young gun midfielder who actually wants to play for the Gold Coast over another young gun midfielder who potentially goes home in 2 years.

Weller was rated highly for a reason too.

Weller, Miller, Ainsworth, Brodie, Fiorini, Bowes and Scrimshaw is a pretty top end young talent brigade.
"On the surface" is pretty much how this trade is being viewed as a loss.
Looking deeper, I agree with you. It's not a loss.

GCS have/have had a plethora of picks in the top for years now (and a couple more next year as well) so giving up #2 this year isn't really a bad trade at all. What are you going to do with #2, get another untried youngster to add to a stack a mile high? What you need is someone talented enough to be a marquee player, experienced enough to show some leadership, and young enough to fit in well with your young crowd.
Weller is all that.

Fremantle did not want to let him go. We offered him another four-year contract. That should tell you something. Personally, I view him as a big loss to our club, and I hope whoever we draft at #2 is enough to make up for it.

Add all that to the point noted above, which is he's a player who requested to go to GC, who wants to be there... and that's value far above picking yet another young Victorian or SA lad who'll probably want to go home in another couple of years. He's probably worth more to GCS than Ablett ever was. He's got the potential to be a damned poster boy, which is exactly what GCS need.

I hope he carves it up, to be honest. Hope he shows you all exactly why #2 wasn't a bad trade at all, in the long run.

Congrats guys. Look after my buddy, or you'll have me to answer to.

If you're actually Tongan, you're probably big. And if you are big, you are probably strong and scary. We will look after him then :D

Look after LDU! Hope he wants to stay at Freo longterm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back