Toast Welcome to the SUNS Lachie Weller

LynchysMob

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Been watching as much footage of him as possible. I think he can become an elite mid. Reminds me of Zac Merrett a bit but hes great overhead too. Think he may have a yet to be seen contested game. Just doesn't look like an outside fairy when you watch him closely.

Keen to see the legend go.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
If I see someone write ‘Lauchie’ one more ******* time, I’m going to cut my dick off with a butter knife.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Weller needs to kick a goal a game, I think his inside game isn't that important because you need Touk and Brodie doing plenty of grunt work and getting midfield minutes. Swallow, Lyons Barlow are already good inside mids too, Obviously if Weller developed the ability to play inside as well that'd be awesome but I think he can be a Deledio-esque player for you guys. Good half back, half forward and outside midfielder, perhaps not as good overhead as Lids but he's still young. Is that worth 3-4 Million over 5 years? Debatable.

Needs to be a leader, in one way or another, to be worth that salary. He is a very handsome young man though, with Swallow, Lyons and Weller your midfield is going to attract a few fans...

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Have seen a few comments from Freo fans to the effect of Lachie exhibiting good on-field leadership... one example being Wellers performance against Adelaide when the rest of the side was getting thumped

Really hope that shows next year... could never have too many players stepping up when the game is on the line #culture #wearegoldcoast #showusyourbods

RogueRen

Senior List
Apr 17, 2016
Ocean Grove
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Los Angeles Rams
It does look like overs on the surface.. but I guess its choosing one young gun midfielder who actually wants to play for the Gold Coast over another young gun midfielder who potentially goes home in 2 years.

Weller was rated highly for a reason too.

Weller, Miller, Ainsworth, Brodie, Fiorini, Bowes and Scrimshaw is a pretty top end young talent brigade.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
If I see someone write ‘Lauchie’ one more ******* time, I’m going to cut my dick off with a butter knife.

Lauchie

5s4kkZ1.gif

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
This guy was going to be Freo's next Lachie Neale except with pace. He is actually the quickest player at Freo. Ross Lyon was apparently gutted when he learned he was leaving.

Considering you guys had 4 of the top 10 last year i think the trade was fine. You won't regret it.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Midfielder Lachie Weller says the appointment of coach Stuart Dew was the driving force behind his move to play for Gold Coast.

Weller finished school and played club football on the Gold Coast before being drafted by Fremantle in 2014.

The 21-year-old has always wanted to play AFL in the city he considers home, but he admitted that desire had been tempered by the club's "unsteady" state.

Dew's appointment and their subsequent conversations erased those concerns and led to a last-minute request for a trade.

"I think, if I got my visual board out now, it has it on there, that I always wanted to come back," Weller told AAP.

"I think the club's been a little bit unsteady and I didn't really plan on coming back now, but the appointment of Stuey and Mark's (CEO Mark Evans) pretty new ... I had dinner with them and got a good feeling."

59e964cd15af7_weller_1280k_59e964474e8be.jpg

Lachie Weller. Pic: Getty

Shocked to be standing in the Suns' AFL headquarters on Friday after the deal snuck inside the trade deadline on Thursday, Weller is hopeful of building a long-term partnership with co-captains Tom Lynch and Steven May.

"I've caught up with Tom a few times; he and Stevie lead really well," Weller, who played 47 games for the Dockers, said.

"There's a lot of talk about Tom (leaving) but hopefully I can pass him the ball and do my bit to help him to stay."

He admits his desire to head to the struggling club is a unique one, but is confident that success on the Gold Coast will convince others to join him.

"I can't throw anyone under the bus, but there has been (lots of interest in his move), definitely, a lot of teammates were good about it," Weller said.

"You never know; time will tell."

The Suns gave up their second pick in the upcoming draft for Weller and pick 41, with Fremantle not budging on their request despite several counter offers from the Gold Coast.

Dew insists he is happy with the deal, given his demand for ready-made players in his first season at the helm and the club's acquisition of West Coast's future first round pick.

"We didn't get pushed around at all," the coach said.

"The key objective was to get Lachie here and moving second rounders into a future first was a key piece in the Lachie one, so we were rapt.

"This was not a deal in isolation - across three years we'll have seven first rounders and Lachie, who was a first rounder - you'd be negligent to look at it as a pure deal for two."

Dew expects Weller to play across a range of positions next season.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Midfielder Lachie Weller says the appointment of coach Stuart Dew was the driving force behind his move to play for Gold Coast.

Weller finished school and played club football on the Gold Coast before being drafted by Fremantle in 2014.

The 21-year-old has always wanted to play AFL in the city he considers home, but he admitted that desire had been tempered by the club's "unsteady" state.

Dew's appointment and their subsequent conversations erased those concerns and led to a last-minute request for a trade.

"I think, if I got my visual board out now, it has it on there, that I always wanted to come back," Weller told AAP.

"I think the club's been a little bit unsteady and I didn't really plan on coming back now, but the appointment of Stuey and Mark's (CEO Mark Evans) pretty new ... I had dinner with them and got a good feeling."

59e964cd15af7_weller_1280k_59e964474e8be.jpg

Lachie Weller. Pic: Getty

Shocked to be standing in the Suns' AFL headquarters on Friday after the deal snuck inside the trade deadline on Thursday, Weller is hopeful of building a long-term partnership with co-captains Tom Lynch and Steven May.

"I've caught up with Tom a few times; he and Stevie lead really well," Weller, who played 47 games for the Dockers, said.

"There's a lot of talk about Tom (leaving) but hopefully I can pass him the ball and do my bit to help him to stay."

He admits his desire to head to the struggling club is a unique one, but is confident that success on the Gold Coast will convince others to join him.

"I can't throw anyone under the bus, but there has been (lots of interest in his move), definitely, a lot of teammates were good about it," Weller said.

"You never know; time will tell."

The Suns gave up their second pick in the upcoming draft for Weller and pick 41, with Fremantle not budging on their request despite several counter offers from the Gold Coast.

Dew insists he is happy with the deal, given his demand for ready-made players in his first season at the helm and the club's acquisition of West Coast's future first round pick.

"We didn't get pushed around at all," the coach said.

"The key objective was to get Lachie here and moving second rounders into a future first was a key piece in the Lachie one, so we were rapt.

"This was not a deal in isolation - across three years we'll have seven first rounders and Lachie, who was a first rounder - you'd be negligent to look at it as a pure deal for two."

Dew expects Weller to play across a range of positions next season.
He talks like a he's played 200 games and is a 5 time all Australian. Let's hope he plays like it

Back