Welcome Welcome to the Suns: Levi Casboult

Remove this Banner Ad

If it was me, I'd probably give it a break against the best defensive side in the league who conceded just 3 goals this week.

Is Levi our Lyons?
Probably not given Carlton has McKay and Curnow and we’re still not exactly overendowed with inside beef to replace Lyons and he’s 31 but I’ll take it!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel this deserves a mention. The most amount of goals Levi ever kicked in his 10 years with Carlton was 34 in 2017 when he played all 22 games for the Blues that year. In 2022, as a member of the Gold Coast Suns, he has kicked... 34 goals! This means if he kicks just one more goal in the last three games of this season then 2022 will officially be his best season ever from a goalkicking point of view, which is of course the main criteria we use to judge a key forward's performance.

Outstanding stuff from Levi this year!

sGzxfWb.jpg

With pictures showing on his IG that they are planning to go on a road camping trip in March next year I thought he had pretty much considered this to be his last year, but now hearing whispers that he is happy to go around again? Not sure how the line up works with Chol, King and Casboult together, Luko probably has to go back to a wing which I'd prefer anyway.

With pictures showing on his IG that they are planning to go on a road camping trip in March next year I thought he had pretty much considered this to be his last year, but now hearing whispers that he is happy to go around again? Not sure how the line up works with Chol, King and Casboult together, Luko probably has to go back to a wing which I'd prefer anyway.
In his several interviews this year (Herald) he said he wants to play as long as he can even in lower league as he still loves the game.

I think his knee is a major concern. Looked swollen to me in recent games. He would probably announce retirement before season ends.

I wasn’t sure about the caravan post on Instagram I took it as he is waiting for it to be ready in March from the manufacturer

No point keeping Casboult next year if we have Day in 2023, unless some how he gets traded. Two blokes doing the same role in the ressies + leading comp goalkicker Burgess

Levi has been known to be a swing man throughout his career. Could he be the foils for Collins and Ballard Suns have been searching for?

Levi has been known to be a swing man throughout his career. Could he be the foils for Collins and Ballard Suns have been searching for?
He's on his last legs, he's been instructed to crash every pack this year. Given alot of free kicks away, luckily all in our forward half.

Don't think that would be good viewing in the other half

I think him playing on will come down to 3 things.

Medical opinion on his knee. (and the Doc's call on King's recovery).
His willingness to play VFL (club should be clear that all going well, he wont play any AFL, he'll just be depth/injury backup).
His willingness to take a low contract (pretty much min wage given he'll be playing VFL).

He'd be a good depth player if his knee can hold up, but he's not the future, so as much as we all appreciate his efforts this year, he's expendable.

I think him playing on will come down to 3 things.

Medical opinion on his knee. (and the Doc's call on King's recovery).
His willingness to play VFL (club should be clear that all going well, he wont play any AFL, he'll just be depth/injury backup).
His willingness to take a low contract (pretty much min wage given he'll be playing VFL).

He'd be a good depth player if his knee can hold up, but he's not the future, so as much as we all appreciate his efforts this year, he's expendable.
All reports seem to suggest that Levi will be sticking around for another year and I think we're all happy about that. I can definitely see a forward line of Casboult, Chol and King working as they all serve different roles in our forward structure but it probably wouldn't be surprising to see Levi serve more of the VFL role we originally thought he would towards the back end of next year, but I don't want to write him off in any way because he well and truly shocked us all with his AFL output this year and maybe he has it in him to do it again next year.

Having said all that, I would actually like to see Casboult spend some time with Jed Walter in our VFL team next year just to teach him some tricks of the trade and help prepare him for AFL footy in 2024. Jed showed us in the U17s All Stars game last week that he's more than willing to play that wrecking ball role that Casboult did so well for us this year and I see the transition from Levi in 2023 to Jed in 2024 being fairly seamless in that sense. They're almost an identical height right now and although Levi has a 5 or so kgs on Jed at the moment, I can see Walter putting on a few kgs next year and during his first AFL preseason. Perhaps we could even keep Levi on as a forwards coach beyond 2023?

Anyway. I'll be very happy when we announce a contract extension for Levi.

All reports seem to suggest that Levi will be sticking around for another year and I think we're all happy about that. I can definitely see a forward line of Casboult, Chol and King working as they all serve different roles in our forward structure but it probably wouldn't be surprising to see Levi serve more of the VFL role we originally thought he would towards the back end of next year, but I don't want to write him off in any way because he well and truly shocked us all with his AFL output this year and maybe he has it in him to do it again next year.

Having said all that, I would actually like to see Casboult spend some time with Jed Walter in our VFL team next year just to teach him some tricks of the trade and help prepare him for AFL footy in 2024. Jed showed us in the U17s All Stars game last week that he's more than willing to play that wrecking ball role that Casboult did so well for us this year and I see the transition from Levi in 2023 to Jed in 2024 being fairly seamless in that sense. They're almost an identical height right now and although Levi has a 5 or so kgs on Jed at the moment, I can see Walter putting on a few kgs next year and during his first AFL preseason. Perhaps we could even keep Levi on as a forwards coach beyond 2023?

Anyway. I'll be very happy when we announce a contract extension for Levi.
As long as Levi isn’t the goalkicking coach ;)

But if we’re talking leading patterns, how to mark in front and when to crash a pack, then sure. That’s his bread and butter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back