Toast Welcome to the SUNS, Lloyd Johnston!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lloyd is a nowhere near ready for AFL at the moment. He needs a couple of pre seasons in the gym and getting his endurance up before he can be considered. He is a long term project.
I think you have to be really careful when judging how quickly a draftee can be ready to play in the AFL. We've seen players like Sean Lemmens come from nowhere at the start of the 2013-14 preseason and play round 1 in 2014 when the best 22 was pretty solid (we got 10 wins in that season). Touk Miller is another player who was selected to play round 1 in his first season with the club. Even a really underdeveloped body like Wil Powell debuted in his first year at the club so there's always a chance that a guy like Johnston flourishes in the preaseason and happens to get a shot due to injuries along our halfback line.

I just loathe when people completely rule someone out before they've even been given a chance to show what they've got. It happened last preseason with Casboult and I saw people start doing it with Ben Long a few months ago. Give the boys a chance!

I think you have to be really careful when judging how quickly a draftee can be ready to play in the AFL. We've seen players like Sean Lemmens come from nowhere at the start of the 2013-14 preseason and play round 1 in 2014 when the best 22 was pretty solid (we got 10 wins in that season). Touk Miller is another player who was selected to play round 1 in his first season with the club. Even a really underdeveloped body like Wil Powell debuted in his first year at the club so there's always a chance that a guy like Johnston flourishes in the preaseason and happens to get a shot due to injuries along our halfback line.

I just loathe when people completely rule someone out before they've even been given a chance to show what they've got. It happened last preseason with Casboult and I saw people start doing it with Ben Long a few months ago. Give the boys a chance!
Those boys all have been playing football for longer than 3 years.
I think Lloyd js a brilliant prospect but he is insanely raw. His defensive positioning is going to take a lot of time and work to get anywhere near standard, his one on one work and his tackling all need to lift significantly before he makes am impact.
Im all for a fairytale but realistically, he has a long long way to go.

Those boys all have been playing football for longer than 3 years.
I think Lloyd js a brilliant prospect but he is insanely raw. His defensive positioning is going to take a lot of time and work to get anywhere near standard, his one on one work and his tackling all need to lift significantly before he makes am impact.
Im all for a fairytale but realistically, he has a long long way to go.
You like it raw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back