List Mgmt. Welcome to the Suns, Mabior Chol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Father Suns

Sweet FAs nicest poster.
Mar 14, 2014
People's Republic Of Vegas
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
We are not sending Ben King to the backline. Casboult will make way for King.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would you play 3 talls next year if they're all fit in the forward line?
Chol Levi and King?
Why not. At least, I would have a go. Lions play 3 talls with a great success. Both Chol and King are agile, difficult match ups. Add contest beast Levi occupying a big defender - it could be a nightmare for oppositions.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Casboult kept around and play if there is an injury. He had some success as a key back as well which should allow us to thank Sam Day for his service and allow him to provide cover for both key posts while Andrew and Brock are still developing.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Casboult kept around and play if there is an injury. He had some success as a key back as well which should allow us to thank Sam Day for his service and allow him to provide cover for both key posts while Andrew and Brock are still developing.
Day is contracted until the end of 2023. IMO, good depth to have if more talls go down. Day played well in VFL the last couple of games, best forward for us there.

KaySwizzle

Team Captain
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
When I first saw highlights of Chol the day we picked him up, I thought he would be a “budget” version of King. In the sense that he would be fast, agile and good at ground level but play kind of similar games by not being contested beasts. I was still happy then, but he has exceeded expectation beyond belief.

Now I salivate at what they could do together. Like King, he can get out the back for the easy goal—but it only looks easy because of the space they get and the speed they pick up the ball.

His ceiling is huge. Chol can fly high and one day will take a mark of the year contender. And his ruck work is much better than I thought it would be.

Could be one of the best Free Agents we’ve picked up.

GC2015

Premiership Player
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
When I first saw highlights of Chol the day we picked him up, I thought he would be a “budget” version of King. In the sense that he would be fast, agile and good at ground level but play kind of similar games by not being contested beasts. I was still happy then, but he has exceeded expectation beyond belief.
No one could have ever predicted this before the season started but it's entirely possible both Chol and Casboult will kick more goals for us this year than King did last year (47). Chol is on track to kick 46.4 goals this season and Casboult is on track to kick 48.8 goals this season. Imagine what would happen if all three played together!

Big Red Machine

Der Sonnenkönig
Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
No one could have ever predicted this before the season started but it's entirely possible both Chol and Casboult will kick more goals for us this year than King did last year (47). Chol is on track to kick 46.4 goals this season and Casboult is on track to kick 48.8 goals this season. Imagine what would happen if all three played together!
moneyball-gets-on-base.gif

Even if it takes two players to total the same amount of goals King kicked last year those goals are still being kicked.

They don't ask how, they ask how many. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC2015

Premiership Player
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One of the most exciting things about Mabs is he doesn't appear to be anywhere near his ceiling. I watch him most weeks jumping on opponents' backs which almost results in a speccy and I just think to myself, wow imagine if he held onto those marks. I still think he can improve his motor as well because he does seem to have patches of games where he's quiet but I do remember seeing him in the wet against Fremantle and he was absolutely spent in the fourth quarter but still gave everything he had. You love to see it.

I'm fairly sure Richmond are going to regret letting him go in a year or two from now when Riewoldt has retired and Lynch is declining.

My_Username

Rookie
Jun 23, 2022
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One of the most exciting things about Mabs is he doesn't appear to be anywhere near his ceiling. I watch him most weeks jumping on opponents' backs which almost results in a speccy and I just think to myself, wow imagine if he held onto those marks. I still think he can improve his motor as well because he does seem to have patches of games where he's quiet but I do remember seeing him in the wet against Fremantle and he was absolutely spent in the fourth quarter but still gave everything he had. You love to see it.

I'm fairly sure Richmond are going to regret letting him go in a year or two from now when Riewoldt has retired and Lynch is declining.

I think it's more about getting more game experience at this level rather than fitness.

Knowing when to run, and how hard, to suit himself is more important that being able to run 1% further.

Similarly with those high marks...Maybe a bit of experience with positioning himself, and maybe a well timed bit of physicality would have given him a more reliable, if less spectacular, marking option?

He's old enough that he's unlikely to get a lot fitter, but he can, and will, learn to use his efforts better. That's what he needs to work on, and where his real upside is.

As for Richmond, he's 25 and clearly ready to play at this level. I doubt they really could have held him back to play VFL for a couple more years as backup to Reiwoldt/Lynch, with a maybe on getting the job afterwards...They might regret it, but I dare say they'd also be realistic about what their chances of keeping him were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad