Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2017-11-27/nab-afl-rookie-draft-nick-holman

HolmanW.jpg

With selection no. 19, Gold Coast have secured Central District's Nicholas Holman.

The midfielder has spent the past two seasons performing strongly at SANFL level after previously spening time on Carlton's list where he played nine AFL games.

Holman is a ball magnet, finishing second for disposals in the South Australian state league after averaging 26 disposals per game.

His consistent form earned him a seventh place finish in the Magarey Medal.

Last edited:
Inside mids are highly sought after. Could be a smokey for AFLX...

Central District best and fairest Nick Holman gets another AFL shot – this time with Gold Coast
Daniela Abbracciavento, Northern Weekly Messenger
November 28, 2017 9:38am
NICK Holman knows how quickly playing AFL can go from a reality to a distant memory.

Central District’s 2017 best and fairest was on Carlton’s senior list for two seasons before being delisted at the end of 2015.

Now the 22-year-old midfielder has another shot at the elite level – this time with Gold Coast, which selected him with pick 19 in Monday’s rookie draft.

Holman, who has spent the past two seasons at Central, is keen to work hard to ensure he makes the most of his second chance.

“I feel very relieved,” Holman, of Enfield, says.

“Being on an AFL list before taught me how professional you have to be to make it.

“But there’s no secret to success apart from hard work, so I’ll be training hard and putting in the hard yards.

“I just want to earn a bit of respect from my teammates and coaches at Gold Coast.”
Holman made an early impression at Central with his tackling and strong stoppage work.

This past season he was named in The Advertiser Team of the Year and claimed the Bulldogs’ highest individual honour.

“It was an up-and-down year (with Central) and we didn’t win as many games as we would’ve liked,” he says.

“But the SANFL is a really strong league and I learnt a lot from it.”

Carlton selected Holman, who was vice-captain of TAC Cup club Murray Bushrangers, as an 18-year-old with pick 51 at the 2013 national draft.

He spent most of his first year in the VFL with Northern Blues before making his AFL debut against Port Adelaide in round 22, 2014.

Holman finished his stint at the Blues with nine AFL matches.

“I take a lot out of being at the Blues for two years even though it didn’t quite work out.

“I feel better for it now going into the Gold Coast.”

Holman was set to fly over to Gold Coast tomorrow (Wednesday, November 29) to begin pre-season.

Out of all the zillion delistings at Carlton over the past few years, he was the only one which genuinely surprised me. He’d shown at least enough to keep him on, though rumours persist on our board that there was more to the decision than meets the eye.

Regardless, if he’s used the whole thing as a learning experience, you just might have found yourselves a reasonable pickup. Good luck to Nick, it certainly seems he’s worked hard for his opportunity.

Out of all the zillion delistings at Carlton over the past few years, he was the only one which genuinely surprised me. He’d shown at least enough to keep him on, though rumours persist on our board that there was more to the decision than meets the eye.

Regardless, if he’s used the whole thing as a learning experience, you just might have found yourselves a reasonable pickup. Good luck to Nick, it certainly seems he’s worked hard for his opportunity.

Thanks for the insight.....appreciated

Do you know what the issues where when he was at the Blues?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you know what the issues where when he was at the Blues?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have no inside knowledge. It’s been suggested by posters with inside knowledge on our board that there was more at play. But I don’t know what it was.

He showed a little bit of promise as a tagger for us, but looks to have worked on his efforts to find the ball while in the SANFL. I’m going to be interested in watching his career with you, and am hoping he makes the most of his second chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back