Toast Welcome to the SUNS - Pick 19, Wil Powell

Remove this Banner Ad

This has always been my issue with Clayton. You don't waste a first round pick on a speculative player that may or may not get drafted anyway. It he's a good player, great, but I highly doubt he was anywhere near the 'best available' player at pick 19

The rumour on Powell is that WCE ID'd him quite early and advised him to stay in the colts in an effort to hide him and guarantee drafting him this year with a later pick. GC and a couple of VIC clubs got wise to it though and still managed to scout him.

If Clayton didn't get him at #19, one of those VIC clubs were going to get him in the 20s.

Clayton speculates that he will grow to 190 as he's still developing and quite young for a draftee. Minimum age perhaps? Regardless, he has a good highlights package, so I welcome you Will! It's not your fault Clayton picked you up so early. Now that you're a Sun you will have my full support. :)

The rumour on Powell is that WCE ID'd him quite early and advised him to stay in the colts in an effort to hide him and guarantee drafting him this year with a later pick. GC and a couple of VIC clubs got wise to it though and still managed to scout him.

If Clayton didn't get him at #19, one of those VIC clubs were going to get him in the 20s.

Clayton speculates that he will grow to 190 as he's still developing and quite young for a draftee. Minimum age perhaps? Regardless, he has a good highlights package, so I welcome you Will! It's not your fault Clayton picked you up so early. Now that you're a Sun you will have my full support. :)
Looks a talent and happy to have him, but I suppose the question needs to be asked, if WCE were happy to hide him in the Colts, then it seems logical that he was happy to be hidden in the Colts too. Was his preference to stay in WA?

Last edited:
Looks a talent and happy to have him, but I suppose the question needs to be asked, if WCE were happy to hide him in the Colts, The it seems logical that he was happy to be hidden in the Colts too. Was his preference to stay in WA?
I imagine 95% of players would ideally like to stay in their home state to be honest. That's natural. But obviously not fussed to move either.

That does make some sense if he was going in the 20s , I’m hoping he is not a flight risk , us to club to make him feel at home now.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Comes from the same area I grew up. Welcome Wil you have my backing and I see talent. Hope he fills out!

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Looks a talent and happy to have him, but I suppose the question needs to be asked, if WCE were happy to hide him in the Colts, then it seems logical that he was happy to be hidden in the Colts too. Was his preference to stay in WA?
Why would they hide him in the Colts and hinder his development? Doesn't make a lot of sense. Those days are long gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way is he 65kgs. Looks a smart, tough player with some pretty clean skills and a good decision maker. His vid was pretty impressive, get him in the weight room and I think he can be handy for us. Hell id have him in the team now ahead of a few blokes who were getting a game this year.

The whole hid him away theory makes no sense. Either correct and the kid is so keen to stay that he would sabotage his own development or he just didnt perform well enough to make the w.a team and seniors.

With what we did with weller paying such a high price this reeks of hypocrisy.

Take a punt on a #30-#50 pick but not #19. For gods sake out future and situation meens we need to be competitive so stop taking unecesary risks and take the best player availiable

DPdNALUUMAAWwQE.jpg:large

I know this is gonna sound weird. But he even looks like a really nice down to earth kid lol.

Apparently he comes from a really well appreciated football family who support him to the end. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see the family follow him over.

Any younger brothers?

1511571699697_G9H1BGRTK.1-1.jpg

AFL draft 2017: The story behind the Suns’ top-20 smokey Wil Powell

Claremont teenager Wil Powell emerged from relative obscurity to be the third West Australian picked in last night’s national draft.

The rangy 18-year-old said it suited him perfectly to fly under the radar before being snapped up by Gold Coast with pick 19, behind only Aaron Naughton (No.9) and Brandon Starcevich (No.18) at the top of the WA crop.

Powell had a pretty good idea the Suns would take him around that mark but was still nervous going in and went to the South West in recent days to surf and clear his head.

“I’m over the moon,” he said as he celebrated with his family at his Karrinyup home.

“I didn’t really read any of the phantom drafts, I sort of tried to keep all the AFL stuff out of my head. I think it was good sort of having no media knowledge about myself, keeping it on the down low.

“I think it will be a massive change, a very exciting change, sort of starting a new life. I guess it will be hard at first, missing the family, but with some good support from the club I’m sure I’ll go over there and do the best I can.”

The 185cm, 67 kg midfielder believes he is still growing.
He said he was initially disappointed not to be selected for the WA under 18s, but said it motivated him to show the selectors what they had missed out on.

Powell averaged 14 disposals and booted eight goals from 18 games with Claremont’s colts.
believed he played a bit like former Western Bulldogs captain Bob Murphy.

“I think I’m a pretty composed football player,” he said. “I use the ball well, I break the lines and for my size I think I’m pretty competitive and get the contested ball pretty well.”

His colts coach Ross McQueen said there was plenty of upside in Powell after he only came into the colts system this year.

“He’s a rangy sort of kid who has got some really good skills below his knees,” McQueen said. “He’s smart, knows how to kick a goal and a he’s a pretty tough little kid. There’s not much of him. He takes a few hits and gets up.

“Wil has got some AFL-type traits — his balance and vision are really good. You will see some tricks. He has wow moments in games.

“He played some fairly consistent footy without being outstanding this year. He’s got a lot to learn about what it takes to be an AFL football player but in the right environment I think he’ll flourish.”

1511571699697_G9H1BGS4B.1-0.jpg

Good luck to the kid but I can't help but think Jarrad Grant- another dartboard by Clayton
2007 was a quality draft to miss out on.People should have marked Clayton's papers then.
But I guess overlooking the likes of Dangerfield, Rance Ward and Rioli is just bad luck
Clayton didn't miss Ward

That write up doesnt instill confidence!!

Coach saying he played "Some fairly consistent footy without being outstanding in the colts". Add that to missing out on w.a state team and only having some "afl standard traits" then i start to get worried.

Honestly the write up above sounds more like a good rookie pick up than a virtual first round pick!!

Now lets ignore the whole 185cm and 67kg frame that has been so succesfull for us in the past :p

The more i read the more i get annoyed with this whole draft and trade period. I want us to succeed so much but just feels like even our recruiting staff cant get a grasp on what approach we are taking

It seems just ridiculous that we pushed Geelong hard for pick 19 only to roll the dice on a speculative pick.

The Weller and Powell pick ups just seem bizarre I can only hope that with Dew on board they are clear on what he wants and he is driving the bus as let’s face it previous high picks have turned out to be disappointing. If Weller and Powell turn out to be guns then the price paid that now seems so high may look to be a bargain in 3-4 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back