List Mgmt. Welcome to the SUNS - Sam Flanders

Remove this Banner Ad

prediction 2020 -

plays 12 games, he dominates neafl and comes to afl with some swagger averaging 12 touches and a goal a game as a forward pressure / macperhson type

On the Athletics Day at the Foster Secondary College, it always interesting to see the battle between Xavier Duursma and Flanders. The hard part was that they couldn't compete directly against each other, so Duursma would set the bar (usually the school record) and then Flanders would try to match the next year. My former boss who went on to work at Gippsland Power full time reckons that Flanders is a better footballer than Duursma so you've definitely ended up with a good player.

prediction 2020 -

plays 12 games, he dominates neafl and comes to afl with some swagger averaging 12 touches and a goal a game as a forward pressure / macperhson type
Reckon you’re just about right. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him there round 1 personally. Maybe builds a bit of running fitness in the neafl first.

Hey boys congrats on the draft haul so far, just wanted to wish sam all the best at his new club I've met him a few times through basketball and hes a ripper bloke and an insane athlete, I reckon you guys have a steal here

Let's hope Sam can return the Clayton Oliver favour we did for Melbourne in coming years ;)
I have long had the stuffing knocked out of me regarding 18yo footballers with potential but it seems he's my sort of player
We definitely need some junkyard dog around the place
True story, the last great canine to come out of Fish Creek was my old Spoodle- best dog ever
Sam has a lot to live up to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“I was just trying to stay calm and back the year I have had and stay confident to know I have put in enough hard yards for a club to take an opportunity.
“I’m super excited to go to the Suns and cant wait to get up there (to Queensland).
“Honestly I had no idea. I thought coming in to the night I thought maybe it might be Swans or Freo and then they passed on me and then I was fortunate the Suns gave me the opportunity.”

Fortunately for Flanders, an 18-year-old from the Victorian country town of Fish Creek that has a population of less than 1000, was exactly what Gold Coast were after.
The Suns never imagined he would still be available outside the top 10 and traded picks 17 and 22 to get him at pick 11, a significant investment not lost on Flanders.
“They have given up two picks on me. I’m super fortunate they had the belief in me it does mean more because of it,” Flanders said.

My favourite surprise pick for this draft.

Rowell and Anderson were a given, but Flanders is what we really needed to get some bite into our forward-line for the coming years (a combination of Flanders, Rankine, Sexton, and Macpherson running around in our forward line as smalls is a dream come true - those are four blokes all capable of becoming elite for their specific roles).

He could turn out to be our new cult hero (now when Goober is gone). Needs just a couple of agro moments on the field.

Hoping he will turn into our Toby Greene a hybrid forward/mid that accumulates the footy, plays feisty, plays on the edge and with a streak of fire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back