Toast Welcome to the SUNS (the senior squad instead of academy) Connor Budarick!

Remove this Banner Ad

... may I ask why you want to post that in the Sydney sub-forum?
Sorry it’s not the Sydney sub forum.

It’s the Draft & Trading forum, and it’s a thread about the Sydney Academy (being an unfair advantage) that’s morphed in to discussion about the Northern Academies, and I usually just talk about the Lions academy or QLD as a whole.

The current discussion is that between the 4 academies we have every kid in our zones to pick from.

The point I’ve been making is that it’s a very small percentage of kids that actually play football, and a smaller percentage would actually be regarded as elite athletes or footballers.

I think Pete Evans and other GC representatives make a great presentation to AFL to get Budarick and Rosas pre listed, take care of your own team. Brisbane is a top 4 team this year so could not care more or less about their academy players. Not impress with Noble and Fagan recent interview about Gold Coast.

I think Pete Evans and other GC representatives make a great presentation to AFL to get Budarick and Rosas pre listed, take care of your own team. Brisbane is a top 4 team this year so could not care more or less about their academy players. Not impress with Noble and Fagan recent interview about Gold Coast.

Pete Evans is an idiot

Mark Evans is not

Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 9.02.34 PM.png

Sorry it’s not the Sydney sub forum.

It’s the Draft & Trading forum, and it’s a thread about the Sydney Academy (being an unfair advantage) that’s morphed in to discussion about the Northern Academies, and I usually just talk about the Lions academy or QLD as a whole.

The current discussion is that between the 4 academies we have every kid in our zones to pick from.

The point I’ve been making is that it’s a very small percentage of kids that actually play football, and a smaller percentage would actually be regarded as elite athletes or footballers.
And I also provide examples of us losing kids to other sports, or our academies bringing in kids that would otherwise not play football if our academies didn’t exist.
Go ahead. Anyone who has actually gotten involved in Queensland football would know what you've written above is true and losing Darren Lockyer to rugby league is a good example of an elite athlete being lost to the game purely because of the conditions in Queensland at the time (i.e. there was no academy system to retain a player like him). There's no doubt in my mind that Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills would have been to lost to rugby league/union had the Swans academy not existed around five years ago when they were coming through. They even said it themselves because all of their school friends played rugby and that's obviously a big pull when you're a teenager. And that's coming from two players who managed to stick it out. Think about all the juniors who gave up like former Swans academy member Tom Trbojevic who now plays for Manly in the NRL or former GWS academy member Josh Green who is a projected top 10 2020 NBA draft pick.

Even your own Charlie Cameron was a member of the Lions academy while he was boarding at Marist and gave the game away because he was more interested in rugby league/union at the time and we now know he's become an absolute gun footballer so imagine what he'd be if he stuck with it in high school!!! Kalyn Ponga is another former Lions academy member lost to the game. We tried really hard to convince Cairns native Tamuri Wigness (a prospective NBA player) to choose football over basketball but we were unable to do so and he's another lost to the game. NBA guard Patty Mills was a gun teenage footballer in Canberra and was even named in the All-Australian schoolboys team at 15 but chose to pursue basketball. Would Mills have remained in football had the Swans academy existed at the time? Who knows but we definitely would have had a better shot at keeping him! The list goes on and on and every club in the northern states is affected by this.

And I also provide examples of us losing kids to other sports, or our academies bringing in kids that would otherwise not play football if our academies didn’t exist.
On the Gold Coast to be in Suns academy is one of the most prestigous things you can have as a player and when you make it everyone looks up to you:joycat:

Go ahead. Anyone who has actually gotten involved in Queensland football would know what you've written above is true and losing Darren Lockyer to rugby league is a good example of an elite athlete being lost to the game purely because of the conditions in Queensland at the time (i.e. there was no academy system to retain a player like him). There's no doubt in my mind that Isaac Heeney and Callum Mills would have been to lost to rugby league/union had the Swans academy not existed around five years ago when they were coming through. They even said it themselves because all of their school friends played rugby and that's obviously a big pull when you're a teenager. And that's coming from two players who managed to stick it out. Think about all the juniors who gave up like former Swans academy member Tom Trbojevic who now plays for Manly in the NRL or former GWS academy member Josh Green who is a projected top 10 2020 NBA draft pick.

Even your own Charlie Cameron was a member of the Lions academy while he was boarding at Marist and gave the game away because he was more interested in rugby league/union at the time and we now know he's become an absolute gun footballer so imagine what he'd be if he stuck with it in high school!!! Kalyn Ponga is another former Lions academy member lost to the game. We tried really hard to convince Cairns native Tamuri Wigness (a prospective NBA player) to choose football over basketball but we were unable to do so and he's another lost to the game. NBA guard Patty Mills was a gun teenage footballer in Canberra and was even named in the All-Australian schoolboys team at 15 but chose to pursue basketball. Would Mills have remained in football had the Swans academy existed at the time? Who knows but we definitely would have had a better shot at keeping him! The list goes on and on and every club in the northern states is affected by this.
Vic's don't understand this because they live in the bubble. There's always talent banging on their door. We have to search

came here to post about Connor but read your post and got me thinking back a long time (over 30 years ago) to my high school football team who made the Queensland Secondary Schools GF. Our school, like the vast majority of schools in Queensland, was considered a rugby league one, but we cobbled together a team of a few footy club players (myself included), a state cricketer, a state volleyball player, an Australian judo champion, a talented boxer (he punched out the state CHB from Corinda who was a foot taller than him... was very funny to see as the CHB obviously had no idea who he was picking), a few regional basketballers and athletics champions and ended up doing very well ... until the GF where we got flogged by Sandgate (who had a lot of very good club footballers). Does make you think though if the Academies were around then they might have been able to snaffle a lot of those talented kids from other sports.

Back onto Connor, apparently he’s tearing up the track, might be a smokie for a debut this year if Harbs goes down for any length of time?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/267609/who-s-burning-your-club-s-players-tearing-up-pre-season

came here to post about Connor but read your post and got me thinking back a long time (over 30 years ago) to my high school football team who made the Queensland Secondary Schools GF. Our school, like the vast majority of schools in Queensland, was considered a rugby league one, but we cobbled together a team of a few footy club players (myself included), a state cricketer, a state volleyball player, an Australian judo champion, a talented boxer (he punched out the state CHB from Corinda who was a foot taller than him... was very funny to see as the CHB obviously had no idea who he was picking), a few regional basketballers and athletics champions and ended up doing very well ... until the GF where we got flogged by Sandgate (who had a lot of very good club footballers). Does make you think though if the Academies were around then they might have been able to snaffle a lot of those talented kids from other sports.
Makes you wonder, huh? Despite having a considerably smaller population when compared to Brisbane, I think we're in a better position than the Lions are to convince our locals to make the switch from another sport because rugby league/union just doesn't have the same grip on Gold Coast schools like it does in Brisbane. Playing GPS rugby in Brisbane is a highly respected and notable thing for a schoolboy to do but that's simply not the case for most of the Gold Coast. PBC/Keebra get a bit of coverage for their rugby league achievements and obviously TSS have the GPS programme but outside of that there really isn't a huge pull for young Gold Coast athletes to choose one sport over another. So if we can get into those local sports (athletics, basketball, soccer etc) carnivals at a young age and introduce these kids to our game where we have far more resources to offer them than any other game, then we should be able to secure some really talented athletes for our academy programme. That goes for Cairns as well where we were able to recently convince Alex Davies to choose our academy over a likely professional career in basketball and now it's looking like he is a top 10 draft pick for 2020. On the flip side, Charlie Cameron went to a private school in Brisbane and the Lions placed him in their academy but he had very little interest in Aussie rules and gave it away to play rugby instead. He's a great example of the influence the school system has in Brisbane vs our situation which isn't as much of a factor. Kalyn Ponga is another example as well.

On topic. Really cool to see Budarick is ripping it up on the training track. Would be an awesome story to see him debut early next year.

Anybody else believe Budders can get a rising star nomination this season? He lit it up in the Marsh series
He easily could.
Last years draft class were absolute guns so a bit hard to compare but looking at the 2018 season the following games got nominations
Ben Long - 15 possessions, 8 tackles, 1 goal, 1 GA
Hunter Clark - 17 possessions, 6 marks, 6 tackles
Tom Cole - 18 possessions, 6 marks, 0 tackles, 0 goals
Ollie Florent - 20 possessions, 3 marks, 2 tackles

Can definitely seeing Budders having a game at this level.

Had 14 possessions, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal in his first Marsh game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I think it's fair to say that Budders has exceeded everyone's expectations this year and has been a really solid contributor to our back 6. I thought I'd post this in here for historical purposes. It's Connor playing for Helensvale High against PBC in the 2018 AFL Queensland Schools Cup Grand Final. You can tell from this pic that he's always had elite speed!

lpPR6HD.jpg

Last edited:
Shoutout to Budarick who I thought played the best game of his career to date yesterday against the Roos. 25 disposals and just seemed to do the right thing every time the ball went near him. Even the commentators noticed and gave him a big wrap!

Budders only turned 21 just over a month ago so there's plenty of footy ahead for him and I know we all like seeing the local juniors do well in the red and gold.

Shoutout to Budarick who I thought played the best game of his career to date yesterday against the Roos. 25 disposals and just seemed to do the right thing every time the ball went near him. Even the commentators noticed and gave him a big wrap!

Budders only turned 21 just over a month ago so there's plenty of footy ahead for him and I know we all like seeing the local juniors do well in the red and gold.

Was actually an accumulating midfielder I believe in juniors. Great that he has found this defensive role now

Was actually an accumulating midfielder I believe in juniors. Great that he has found this defensive role now
Was named in the back pocket of the 2019 U18 AA team so his midfield days must have been before that. We know he has elite speed but very rarely gets the chance to use it as he's often asked to play as a lockdown small defender. I wonder if he'll ever get the chance to play higher up the ground if we'll just keep him playing the lockdown small defender role that he seems to be getting better at.

Was named in the back pocket of the 2019 U18 AA team so his midfield days must have been before that. We know he has elite speed but very rarely gets the chance to use it as he's often asked to play as a lockdown small defender. I wonder if he'll ever get the chance to play higher up the ground if we'll just keep him playing the lockdown small defender role that he seems to be getting better at.
Has shown he's brave, running back with the flight a couple of times in recent weeks.
Pacy
Neat kick
Composed

I thought he did suprisingly well in 1 on 1 contests against a much bigger Jack Ziebell.

Impressive for a 21 year old 24 game player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back