Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

^^ Dont clutter up the Bont thread with images of that grossly egotistical *******

they are not even close to the same class
Flognaldo would have to have any class before anyone could go about putting them into the same class.

I'm in my mid 20's so don't remember grant, west or Johnson when they were starting out, (Grant was my favourite player as a kid though) but did any of them start as well as the Bont? I hear stories of Grant being a machine when he was in his early 20's but I wasn't even born when he was drafted.

I see Johnno got his first club BnF and AA at 23 though. I'd be very happy if Bonts went down in the same vein as Grant, Johnno or West, but his trajectory is looking like the club GOAT. just needs to start getting more of the pill and go from low 20's to high 20's.

I'm in my mid 20's so don't remember grant, west or Johnson when they were starting out, (Grant was my favourite player as a kid though) but did any of them start as well as the Bont? I hear stories of Grant being a machine when he was in his early 20's but I wasn't even born when he was drafted.

I see Johnno got his first club BnF and AA at 23 though. I'd be very happy if Bonts went down in the same vein as Grant, Johnno or West, but his trajectory is looking like the club GOAT. just needs to start getting more of the pill and go from low 20's to high 20's.

Here's a taste of Chris Grant circa 1992-1994. There are also a bunch of full games from the early-mid 90s on Youtube.

Chris Grant had an amazing start to his career but plateaud in his early 20's. Glandular fever set him back a couple of years. His best was between 96 and 99 and to be honest if he played at CHB he would have been one of the best ever. One of the few players who could beat the King.

My only criticism of him was he was not arrogant enough on the field. Was the nice guy and this held him back and was not a big game finals player and that determines greatness in my eyes. If Bont stays fit he will surpass him as he has one trait CHris did not have and that is extreme self confidence that he can be the difference.

Was Grant better while playing in the backline or forward? and why

As a kid (8-12) I always remembered him as a CHF, then I remember him playing more as a key back the older I got.

Was a beast and my all time hero as a kid! Actually saw him last year and got a photo with him lol.

Kelvin Templeton kicked 118 goals as a 21 year old, 91 as a 22 year old and won a Brownlow at 23 in a team that won 5 games. Bont will beat him for longevity and in many other ways but no one has had a better 3 years as a young player than Templeton, definitely for the Dogs and maybe the VFL. ( Coleman maybe)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was Grant better while playing in the backline or forward? and why

He played most of his career as a fwd but my opinion was he could have been the best CHB in the era and that means better the Jackovich. He could read the play like Lake and his field kicking was great and was rarely beaten one on one. Took Carey to the cleaners one Friday night when Carey was in his prime. As a fwd he suffered with the yips and kicked over 50 goals only 3 times.

He played most of his career as a fwd but my opinion was he could have been the best CHB in the era and that means better the Jackovich. He could read the play like Lake and his field kicking was great and was rarely beaten one on one. Took Carey to the cleaners one Friday night when Carey was in his prime. As a fwd he suffered with the yips and kicked over 50 goals only 3 times.

He was a great CHB, but playing as a CHB is much easier then playing as a CHF. Grants impact on games as a CHF in 97, 98 and 99 was higher then when he played down back. In my view, back then CHF was the most important position on the ground and having a great one was worth its weight in gold.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the pub last night chatting to a Saints and Demons supporter.

Both adamant that Bont is over rated. Saints supporter steadfast that Jack Steven was better and the Melbourne supporter that Oliver was better (pointed out to the Saints fan that Steven is 27 and Bont 22).

Herald Sun have done a Facebook post asking who is better out of him and Daniher (dumb comparison). So many comments about him being over rated.

Can’t see why opposition supporters have this opinion, have others noticed this?

Last edited:
At the pub last night chatting to a Saints and Demons supporter.

Both adamant that Bont is over rated. Saints supporter steadfast that Jack Steven was better and the Melbourne supporter that Oliver was better (pointed out to the Saints fan that Steven is 27 and Bont 22).

Herald Sun have done a Facebook post asking who is better out of him and Daniher (dumb comparison). So many comments about him being over rated.

Can’t see why opposition supporters have this opinion, have others noticed this?
Because 90% of footy fans have no idea and are either extremely one eyed or fed exclusively through the media and or social media.

8e3.png

Because 90% of footy fans have no idea and are either extremely one eyed or fed exclusively through the media and or social media.

It's not until you see the Bont live, that you see how influential he is, I don't care they don't rate him, I hope their coach doesn't rate him either, but considering he has been captain of the 22 and under team twice, I doubt they would.

It’s cos these days everyone wants to talk down other players teams instead of actually enjoying players. I’ve got Carlton mates who are adamant Cripps is better, Essendon mates who say Merrett is better. It’s funny. Melbourne mates say Oliver is better.

I think the only player I’d say is better than Bont atm from his draft is Kelly, and I’d still take Bont due to size/ability to go forward.

It’s cos these days everyone wants to talk down other players teams instead of actually enjoying players. I’ve got Carlton mates who are adamant Cripps is better, Essendon mates who say Merrett is better. It’s funny. Melbourne mates say Oliver is better.

I think the only player I’d say is better than Bont atm from his draft is Kelly, and I’d still take Bont due to size/ability to go forward.

It's like the opposition but shite on Stringer, but watch them scramble when he was up for grabs.

Just have a look at the Bont vs Cripps vs Merrett thread for some absolute pearlers.

Reason I think it happens is because young blokes who are that good typically are that good because of recent, easy to remember improvement - it's a mental shorthand to go "he's a good young player because he's a lot better than he was last year". Bont has been good for so long, and hasn't really had any real improvement on 2015, so that's three whole seasons of being good, that the average fan equates lack of improvement and the fact that they're "used" to his level of ability, to lack of ability.

Okay, so he probably had a worse season than some players like Josh Kelly and so forth. But he's demonstrated elite performance for three seasons straight, and there's a reason that Champion Data use a rolling 40 game/2 season window for their stats typically - because one season isn't enough of a sample size and players can be better than their last season - just look at the Richmond football club of evidence of that.

Whilst they're not exactly similar players, it reminds me a lot about how the general public rates Pendlebury: they're both midfielders who reached the elite level by their second season, whereas other players might not reach that until season 4 or 5, and consistently played well whilst providing value by being durable (Bontempelli: 61 consecutive games, Pendlebury: only his debut and last season did he play less than 21 games), but they keep chugging along season after season consistently as a top-5 midfielder whilst other players rise and fall and are the new flavour of the month and year after year be underrated because they're not playing "differently" to the season before. Bontempelli's like that in my eyes.

Just have a look at the Bont vs Cripps vs Merrett thread for some absolute pearlers.

Reason I think it happens is because young blokes who are that good typically are that good because of recent, easy to remember improvement - it's a mental shorthand to go "he's a good young player because he's a lot better than he was last year". Bont has been good for so long, and hasn't really had any real improvement on 2015, so that's three whole seasons of being good, that the average fan equates lack of improvement and the fact that they're "used" to his level of ability, to lack of ability.

Okay, so he probably had a worse season than some players like Josh Kelly and so forth. But he's demonstrated elite performance for three seasons straight, and there's a reason that Champion Data use a rolling 40 game/2 season window for their stats typically - because one season isn't enough of a sample size and players can be better than their last season - just look at the Richmond football club of evidence of that.

Whilst they're not exactly similar players, it reminds me a lot about how the general public rates Pendlebury: they're both midfielders who reached the elite level by their second season, whereas other players might not reach that until season 4 or 5, and consistently played well whilst providing value by being durable (Bontempelli: 61 consecutive games, Pendlebury: only his debut and last season did he play less than 21 games), but they keep chugging along season after season consistently as a top-5 midfielder whilst other players rise and fall and are the new flavour of the month and year after year be underrated because they're not playing "differently" to the season before. Bontempelli's like that in my eyes.
Allegedly had a down year but still finished top 10 in the Brownlow.

I'd take Bont cos he sat Hodgy on his arse in the semi and broke GWS's heart in the Prelim. One of the major reasons we have new silver wear in our cupboard that's not covered in dust with '54 on the side. If Kelly ever proves an ability to emulate the clutch ability Bont showed in 2016 I'll start to consider Kelly as a potential equal talent to Marcus. Still say once Kelly actually wants some silverwear he would be well considered to come play with his good mate in the tri-colours...

I think a contributing factor for the Bontlash after his first season where he was pretty much universally loved, is the amount of media coverage and exposure he gets. Whether it be by the design of the club (I think because he is probably the safest and best representive for the club that we can put forth) or its at the lazy request of the channel 7 or Fox producer he is
almost always the person interviewed after a win or on 360 (particularly with a recently departed player sudden downturn in form).

I’d like to think as we go someone like Jack Macrae or Toby McLean who both strike me as fairly capable mature people who wouldn’t get a big head from exposure could share the load a bit more in that regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back