Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

One hip. And pretty much. Don't be surprised if he's another cooney having yearly cleanouts and playing with injections every game.

That's really s**t if true. A once in a generation player and he's got a dodgy hip. My dream of seeing the Bont in full beast mode at the age of 25 onwards may be shattered.

Oh well. Medical science progresses all the time and who knows, maybe the club will learn to manage it effectively....

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's really s**t if true. A once in a generation player and he's got a dodgy hip. My dream of seeing the Bont in full beast mode at the age of 25 onwards may be shattered.

Oh well. Medical science progresses all the time and who knows, maybe the club will learn to manage it effectively....

That's what I'm hoping. I saw him holding his hip a little at qtr time on saturday. I think it's already held him back quite a lot.

He can still do the low spearing passes but he really struggles to kick from 50m out. And I very much doubt that one of the best midfielders in the league is being played as a forward for anything other than managing the injury. He’s great at marking above his head from a standing position, but he rarely gets elevation or separation from defenders.

For those who think he’ll be a great ‘stay at home’ forward - unfortunately that position is as redundant as the Australian manufacturing industry

bobby2

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He can still do the low spearing passes but he really struggles to kick from 50m out. And I very much doubt that one of the best midfielders in the league is being played as a forward for anything other than managing the injury. He’s great at marking above his head from a standing position, but he rarely gets elevation or separation from defenders.

For those who think he’ll be a great ‘stay at home’ forward - unfortunately that position is as redundant as the Australian manufacturing industry
Another reason he could be playing forward is that we don't have any forwards.

His current forward-mid mix is far from redundant. He was dominant on the weekend despite his hip. He could continue to play like that for his whole career even if his hip doesn't get better.

Scary_Foot_9

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2013
Canberra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham, Cubs, Leafs, Ravens
Please no more ***tfighting in the most sacred of threads. There are so many places to do that on BF, why here?

Think of your fellow parishioners!!!!

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just had a look at his stats, has only had over 100 AFL ranking points twice this season.

Don’t want to seem like the sky is falling, but I’m starting to get really concerned and he hasn’t looked like his old self for a while, his hip is holding him back and it seems there is no answer to it

footyfan000001

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just had a look at his stats, has only had over 100 AFL ranking points twice this season.

Don’t want to seem like the sky is falling, but I’m starting to get really concerned and he hasn’t looked like his old self for a while, his hip is holding him back and it seems there is no answer to it

The club ain’t gonna say a word to the fans about it either which is just as frustrating.

Substance

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 6, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some games he moves better than others, but never 100% like 2015/2016. He gets shrugged off in tackles, sidestepped and fails to change direction at speed. After the heavy tackle he got up gingerly and never moved well after that. No wonder he went missing. The club is clueless about how to fix it. Advancing medical science 200 years might do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mattdougie

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 29, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The club were advised to put Bont under the full knife last year and didn’t. They attempted to fix his issue through a smaller surgery, injections and rehab. The recovery time from a full surgery is apparently around the 12-16 week time span.

As far as I’m aware it is not a degenerative issue is an Imbalance through his hips and pelvis which would explain the way he runs at times. This causes pain an swelling and therefore limited flexibility. It’s a very common issue in basketballers.

Just put the kid in for surgery and have him ready to go round 1 next year as our new captain. The year is toast let’s not burn this kid out, he could be anything.

BrisDog

Premiership Player
Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The club were advised to put Bont under the full knife last year and didn’t. They attempted to fix his issue through a smaller surgery, injections and rehab. The recovery time from a full surgery is apparently around the 12-16 week time span.

As far as I’m aware it is not a degenerative issue is an Imbalance through his hips and pelvis which would explain the way he runs at times. This causes pain an swelling and therefore limited flexibility. It’s a very common issue in basketballers.

Just put the kid in for surgery and have him ready to go round 1 next year as our new captain. The year is toast let’s not burn this kid out, he could be anything.
Good input MD. Glad to hear it is not degenerative and I completely agree about getting him under the knife asap.

:jizz:

Bontempelli: Committed to the Bulldogs

westernbulldogs.com.au
24 July 2018 11:56 AM

Marcus Bontempelli has given Western Bulldogs fans a strong indication of where he sees his future, telling RSN Breakfast on Tuesday that he can’t imagine playing anywhere else.

“The way I am, particularly how I feel about the football club that’s not something (free agency) that would ever really cross my mind,” Bontempelli told RSN 927 on Tuesday.

“I’m so committed to the Western Bulldogs Football Club and how much they’ve been able to do for me and the journey that I’ve been on so far.

“For me particularly, that doesn’t even enter my thought process.”
Bontempelli is on track to return for Sunday’s match against Port Adelaide at MARS Stadium in Ballarat.

The 22-year-old missed round 17 and round 18 following appendix surgery.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Apples and oranges
In what way? I remember a Griffen quote along similar lines as the Bont one above from his first few years circulating after he was traded.

Certainly hope you're right and don't begrudge anybody believing as such - just personally apprehensive about everyone these days.

In what way? I remember a Griffen quote along similar lines as the Bont one above from his first few years circulating after he was traded.

Certainly hope you're right and don't begrudge anybody believing as such - just personally apprehensive about everyone these days.
He did. He said he couldn't thank the club enough for their support around the time his father died.
Then McCartney came along and made his life a misery.

I think the apples and oranges refers to their personalities. Bont is a whole lot smarter and more in control of his social/work environment as far as I can see. At 22 he has a maturity and is able to call the shots in a way that Griffen never could.

But yes, that was my first thought. It's nice to hear those words from Bont but until the signature goes on the line I'll be apprehensive.

There's no reason Bont would want to move on, unless there was a gigantic fallout of Stringer or Grubben proportions. Money won't be the determining factor, as we've seen with many other clubs trying to lure top players eg Kelly, Martin. Cripps and Curnow have just re-signed with that basket case Carlton; by and large the AFL seems pretty good at player retention, compared to other sports.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Personalities. They are different people. Bont is a far, far more impressive human being, and that's not meant to be derogatory to Griff.

Things change and they might, but I've got no doubt that right now, he truly believes those words.

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Personalities. They are different people. Bont is a far, far more impressive human being, and that's not meant to be derogatory to Griff.

Things change and they might, but I've got no doubt that right now, he truly believes those words.
That's kind of what I'm angling at though. I've no doubt he feels that way right now - my first post wasn't right in suggesting that I don't believe him. I think Griffen meant it when he said it, too, though. Things change absurdly quickly in footy. Right now I'm not worried, but I'm apprehensive about the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back