Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

mcgleereturns

Club Legend
Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Each award has its quirks.

Coaches may rate player games according to different standards.

Players might not watch games enough but still have a vote.

At the end of the day though they are both prestigious in themselves.

Bont has won something Cripps would trade everything else for however, and been the club’s bnf doing it which is the big gold standard.
All awards have their quirks. Media awards are voted on by blokes that sometimes spend their time at the bar and check the stats at the end to decide who’s best or just pick the gun who’s having a good run. SUNDAY Footy Show usually gives votes to whoever’s the guest and the “out of 10 votes” awards can be influenced by different judges who always give 9s and others who only give 7s and 8s. Some years a player absolutely dominated so it doesn’t matter, he won them all but this year has a large group of players who have all played brilliantly so every award could go to anyone.

Bont - the player I reckon coaches notice the other stuff he does that media doesn’t. Also rewards consistency as often more than 5 players get votes. Bont scores in 16 games but not always as best 3
Cripps - the players’ player who is incredibly popular (and incredibly good)
??? - the one that stands out enough for umpires to notice during a busy day at work. Usually a good choice but an occasional Priddis/Woewodin pops up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ManOfClay

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 27, 2012
On the couch
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Memphis Grizzlies, Aston Villa
One thing about it though is the player’s mvp’s eligibility criteria takes away from it.

I mean, Dangerfield could have won the coaches award, could win the Brownlow but not even be nominated for the mvp?

Should just make it open slather.

Hard Ball Get

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One thing about it though is the player’s mvp’s eligibility criteria takes away from it.

I mean, Dangerfield could have won the coaches award, could win the Brownlow but not even be nominated for the mvp?

I think it's not MVP as in best player. Its MVP in the literal sense. Pretty hard to argue against Cripps given those guidelines.

I'd also say that Geelong got it right. Danger can afford to miss a game before the others.

bobs head soup

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I think it used to be open slather on all the AFLPA awards, but when every single player from a club voted for the notoriously soft Nathan Lonie as Most Courageous one year, they decided to amend the voting system.

gangsta deluxe

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Rajasthan Royals!!!
I think it's not MVP as in best player. Its MVP in the literal sense. Pretty hard to argue against Cripps given those guidelines.

I'd also say that Geelong got it right. Danger can afford to miss a game before the others.
I think there is a distinction between most valuable player in your side (which Cripps is as you say) and most valuable player in the afl, which I think the award is meant to recognise.

Norm De Guerre

Left of the dial.
Mar 27, 2004
Sharpening Occums Razor
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Australian Farnarkling XI
Please explain. They didn’t bring up his bump on Haynes vs Toby’s rake on Neale did they??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never mind me, Im just on one of my favourite hobby horses when it comes to SEN's ability to turn a buck by bracketing absolutely everything in their broadcast with sponsorship, making it an unlistenable experience for me. Reading through the list of 'awards' it just reads like a sop to some of the stations long-standing sponsors.

I have no idea what these awards typically bring but $1500 seems like a figure that shouldn't have gotten The Bont out of bed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bobs head soup

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A $1500 prize for the annual best player award is pretty crap, as was the oversized cheque. They'd be better off just having a trophy of some sort. Literally less than a days wage for the Bont.

Doggy Dan

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A $1500 prize for the annual best player award is pretty crap, as was the oversized cheque. They'd be better off just having a trophy of some sort. Literally less than a days wage for the Bont.
I work in the oversized cheque industry and don’t appreciate your aspersions. It’s been a tough time for us “chequies” since the advent of EFT and unfounded negativity from people like you put another nail in the coffin!

Mantis Toboggan

All Australian
Mar 24, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I work in the oversized cheque industry and don’t appreciate your aspersions. It’s been a tough time for us “chequies” since the advent of EFT and unfounded negativity from people like you put another nail in the coffin!
As an undertaker I take great offence to the tired old ‘nail in coffin’ phrase. It’s negative connotations like that which are burying my industry alive.

Braybrook Son

Premiership Player
Jul 4, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hopefully the Bont can win the Brownlow tomorrow night so we can hang our hat on something for the year. With the seniors, VFL and VFLW girls failin, would be nice to get some happiness 😍

Top Bottom