Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

I just drafted Lord Bontness in supercoach this week, inevitably he will suck this week. Apologies in advance... After watching that video, beyond this week I think he will be one of the best we've ever seen in the RW&B by the time he finishes up.
Waited til he played his first good game this year then traded him in the week after and haven't been disappointed. Would have been first picked at the start of the year if he had a full preseason.

View attachment 269416

Bont dropped a spot to Goldstein this week in the player ratings. Thought his 25-3 was much better than what Goldy produced this week..
3 behinds don't help. You actually lose points you're kicking it anywhere except from an impossible angle. Difference between a goal and a behind is worth 4.5 points so if over the last 2 games he had kicked 5.3 instead of 3.5 he'd have 9 more points and be in 4th place.

The rankings are based on your last 40 games. Bonts must have played a ripper 41 games ago, or Goldy a shocker
Games 31-40 decline by 10% each, not game 41 by 100%

AFLCA Votes

WESTERN BULLDOGS v ST KILDA
9 Jack Steven (StK)
6 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
6 Sean Dempster (StK)
5 Nick Riewoldt (StK)
2 Jarryn Geary (StK)
2 Maverick Weller (StK)

AFLCA Votes

WESTERN BULLDOGS v ST KILDA
9 Jack Steven (StK)
6 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
6 Sean Dempster (StK)
5 Nick Riewoldt (StK)
2 Jarryn Geary (StK)
2 Maverick Weller (StK)
Richo must have only gave Bont two votes. Surely Bevo would have gave him 4?

I've never understood the desire to distribute the coaches votes.

I've heard the argument that coaches are biased to their own players and give them more votes. I've also heard the argument that coaches are the opposite, they might not give votes to their own team, even if they played well, because they might have not fully followed coaches instructions or adhered to the structures that only their coach, and not the opposition, knows. I've also heard arguments that the coaches are not really biased one way or another and just simply vote on who had the biggest impact on the game.

As such doing a coach by coach breakdown achieves nothing because you don't know who voted for who - even in extreme situations where it's mathematically certain that a player got a 5 from one coach and a 0 from another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it had to go like this...
Bev:
5 - Bont
4 - Steven
3 - Dempster
2 - Geary/Weller
1 - Riewoldt

Richo:
5 - Steven
4 - Riewoldt
3 - Dempster
2 - Geary/Weller
1 - Bont
IMO
Steven 5/4
Riewoldt 5/0
Bont 3/3
Dempster 4/2
1 of Geary/Weller 2/0
1 of Geary Weller 1/1

I find it hard to believe Bont had a bigger impact than Steven/NRoo

I've never understood the desire to distribute the coaches votes.

I've heard the argument that coaches are biased to their own players and give them more votes. I've also heard the argument that coaches are the opposite, they might not give votes to their own team, even if they played well, because they might have not fully followed coaches instructions or adhered to the structures that only their coach, and not the opposition, knows. I've also heard arguments that the coaches are not really biased one way or another and just simply vote on who had the biggest impact on the game.

As such doing a coach by coach breakdown achieves nothing because you don't know who voted for who - even in extreme situations where it's mathematically certain that a player got a 5 from one coach and a 0 from another.
It's not that deep tnp (not for me anyway) - it's just another puzzle to solve, like doing a killer sudoku. :)

IMO
Steven 5/4
Riewoldt 5/0
Bont 3/3
Dempster 4/2
1 of Geary/Weller 2/0
1 of Geary Weller 1/1

I find it hard to believe Bont had a bigger impact than Steven/NRoo
Ah yep, that looks better.

There were a few permutations, I didn't consider that one. Only looked at Riewoldt getting either 2/3 or 4/1.

Ah yep, that looks better.

There were a few permutations, I didn't consider that one. Only looked at Riewoldt getting either 2/3 or 4/1.
I can see Richo easily giving Riewoldt 5. Riewoldt captains game etc etc. I can see Bev giving Dempster and Geary 4 and 2 because we all know he rates defenders games more highly than other positions (look at our B n F last year, we had Wallis winning the Ching here yet he only came 9th in the B n F while JJ and a few other defenders were raking in the B n F votes)

Also with our defensive running/team defence mindset etc also

The big question for the rest of this season for me is who will stand up with the Bont? He is already the on field leader of this team. He's already our best player and it has felt in recent times that he's carrying the load for some of his teammates.

So who will stand up with him? Not to be competitive, but to be a match winner. To help us win games like Friday night, and win finals.

Time for Libba, dal, strings, macrae and hunter to take an even bigger step, and help Bonti propel this team deep into September.

The big question for the rest of this season for me is who will stand up with the Bont? He is already the on field leader of this team. He's already our best player and it has felt in recent times that he's carrying the load for some of his teammates.

So who will stand up with him? Not to be competitive, but to be a match winner. To help us win games like Friday night, and win finals.

Time for Libba, dal, strings, macrae and hunter to take an even bigger step, and help Bonti propel this team deep into September.
Fair question. The only players who can produce truly "match winning" performances IMO are Bont, Wood, Stringer, JJ and Dahlhaus. For the most part the rest only need to lift 5-10% each to be of great value.

In recent weeks Bont, Wood, Macrae and perhaps Hunter have been performing at a pretty good level. Dahlhaus too before injury. Stringer, JJ, Dickson, Stevens and Libba are capable of considerably more than we've been seeing. Some promising signs from Clay Smith since his return but he was quiet after the first 15 minutes against St Kilda. He needs to bring back the intensity of the previous week when he was BoG.

Stringer without doubt is the main one who needs to lift with Bont. He needs to stand up and become that freak again. This in turn will hopefully give Boyd a look in as defences get Stringer focused. Dahl will do what Dahl does, i don't know about 1st week back, but come finals he should be himself. Libba needs to just get back to his regular dominant self, and i would like to see Wood and JJ back to their early year form come finals. This would be Key personnal across the lines the opposition will have to deal with.

Thankfully we actually have Coll, Ess, Fre to finish up. We can use these teams to play ourselves back into form and build up to a Finals crescendo if we happen to drop both the Cats and Roos games. Similar to our 3 week sting last year against Port, Ess and Melb. Those games played us back into form.

Stringer is the obvious one, but I feel like Libba can go up another level. Has been great in his comeback year, but really think he can dominate pending his lung injury given extra attention will go on Bont, maccrae will do his thing and Dahlhaus will return

Fair question. The only players who can produce truly "match winning" performances IMO are Bont, Wood, Stringer, JJ and Dahlhaus. For the most part the rest only need to lift 5-10% each to be of great value.

In recent weeks Bont, Wood, Macrae and perhaps Hunter have been performing at a pretty good level. Dahlhaus too before injury. Stringer, JJ, Dickson, Stevens and Libba are capable of considerably more than we've been seeing. Some promising signs from Clay Smith since his return but he was quiet after the first 15 minutes against St Kilda. He needs to bring back the intensity of the previous week when he was BoG.
I know Libba's been shaky, especially with copping a few knocks recently but it was only a few weeks ago that he produced a match winning quarter

I know we all love having a "fap" over Bont. And rightfully so, he's an absolute gun. But as Fronk mentioned, we need someone else to step up. Look who Juddy had next to him at The Eagles When he was 20. Cousins, Kerr, Embley. Ablett was still on a flank at 20 with the old boys still carrying him so it wasn't a comparison.

I'm just a bit worried if blokes like Macrae, Libba, Stevens don't chop Bont out he's going to tire really quick this year. It's not fair that a 20 year old kid has to do most of the grunt work inside. And if Libba in particular still isn't right like last week, then he needs to put his hand up and tell Bevo. Because it isn't fair for guys like Bont having teammates who aren't good to go.

Last edited:
I know Libba's been shaky, especially with copping a few knocks recently but it was only a few weeks ago that he produced a match winning quarter
True, but as you say he's been patchy this year compared to 2014. He has done pretty well in his comeback from an ACL injury but I don't think we'll see him at his best - consistently - until next year.
The rib injury certainly seemed to affect him last week. Hope he's right for the big one this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back