Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

Posted this in the media thread as well. Bonts first article...

Marcus Bontempelli reveals the songs he listens to for inspiration
MARCUS BONTEMPELLI, Herald Sun
35 minutes ago
Subscriber only

THE act of surprising people or doing something that would seem unworldly in the game — if you take out the cliches, that would be the answer to any question about motivation.

Of course we all want premiership success and team success, but delve deeper into what makes us tick and it’s that element of surprise that excites.

It’s something that has been a part of me since I was a kid, chasing my beaten up Sherrin around our backyard in Eltham.

As the only boy in my family, I had no say in what after-school TV show we’d watch and hardly any buy-in from my three sisters, who did have a monopoly on the TV remote.

So I spent hours by myself playing and commentating, building the game to a point where a goal had to be kicked after the final siren.

I had to imagine teammates (I was a wild Richmond supporter) and opponents (often Collingwood). I pretended to be hit in marking contests and imagined the sound of an 80,000-strong crowd.

My runners scuffed and knees bloodied, I was all alone. But, boy, did it feel real.

f132ac16fc540897f85c8af056c3d711

Bulldogs star Marcus Bontempelli likes to visualise and listen to music before each game. Picture: Getty Images
That visualising is still something I do today, even to the point where I get goosebumps.

It’s somewhat of an uncontrolled habit that seems to inspire my love for the game. It isn’t tied to a superstition or pre-game ritual and it’s not something I’ve had to practise or train to be good at it.

It just happens.

Music is always the vehicle for it, although it’s an element I really have no say in and I’m sure you’d be surprised by the variety of songs.

I often find I get caught up in visualisation in my car, where I guess my thoughts are running free and music is a constant.

Sometimes it will take me some place new, something I haven’t done before; other times it’s a reminder, of ground once covered.

For example I often see myself celebrating with my Western Bulldogs teammates — celebrating a goal, although the details of where, when and against whom aren’t always clear.

There are some moments in my career that still give me goosebumps.

If I think back to my first season and the goal I kicked from the boundary line at Etihad Stadium to beat Melbourne, I can still sense the feeling from that moment.

fcccdcff0beb291878c8dd1b12981008

Marcus Bontempelli is mobbed by teammates after kicking the winning goal against Melbourne in his first AFL season. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
While it’s not as glamorous, a smother I did against Port Adelaide in my second year also engineers the same response.

The crowd reacted wildly and as the smother took me over the boundary line I could feel the reverberations bouncing through my body. I remember having goosebumps as I was jogging back to my position.

We were a long way in front, it was midway through the final quarter, and certainly didn’t alter the course of the game, but it was something our team prided itself on.

There is a process I go through on match day to try to draw out the sensation.

The name of the song that has spiked my emotions during the week gets written down at the end of the drive home and then put in my playlist for my pre-game walk on match day.
Just the other day I heard a new track from a band named Kaleo called Way Down We Go and it’s now at the top of my mix.
There is no pattern or order to the music selections; it could be anything from anywhere.

Hip hop artist Rag’n’Bone Man is in there right next to 1970s English rock band The Faces and an Australian indie electronic outfit called Panama.

I know visualisation is a common psychological tool many athletes use to help them perform at the elite level.

Michael Jordan visualises himself hitting a game-winning jump shot, Tiger Woods dropping a 20ft putt or Muhammad Ali landing a knockout punch, however I think this is different, there’s no precursor.

I don’t rely on visualisation to help me play well, nor do I force myself to experience it, and I have to be content with the fact it may not happen, but I think this is why it’s particularly powerful.

There wasn’t a particular moment leading up to the Grand Final and that still turned out pretty well.

It’s more emotional than it is mental. It’s a feeling as opposed to a process and the intermittent nature and style by which it presents itself is addictive.

And it always comes back to inspiring my love for the game, that same love I felt in my backyard in Eltham.

BONT’S SONGS OF INSPIRATION

Way Down We Go by Kaleo

River by Leon Bridges

Human by Rag’n’Bone Man

Ooh La La by The Faces

Latch by Disclosure

Always by Panama

#3 in Mike's top 50.

#3 in Mike's top 50.

Top 5 player. I remember a Bont bit of play at Geelong last year. Where the crowd went 'ohhhhhhhh' at a Bont play. It stood out not just because they are parochial but because they are used to brilliance from the Abletts, Danger, Selwood ect.

And still they could not help but marvel at Bont.

Speaking of Marvel. Thor is a Bont fanboy.

Yeah I reckon Fyfe is the best player when up n going. While I still thing Bont is a more pure 'footballer' Fyfe has him covered physically and in the air (for now).
Fyfe did shank the ball a lot in that Grand Final he played, you know..the one where Ballantyne was unsighted for a majority of the game

How a player plays in finals needs to be a factor.

Just quietly Bont is better than Fyfe now. Fyfe is a bit more of a crusher at the ball and is better overhead (neither are Bont weaknesses), but give me the guy who's still great at those things but gives you some of the most damaging touch on either side, hand and foot in the league.

I had a shocking week at work. And after last nights game, the trains back to Geelong were delayed and ridiculously busy, and I didn't get home until after 1:30. But after witnessing the Bont out there on the MCG, and doing 3-4 ridiculous things makes it all worth the trip up to the game.

There is not one other individual that's ever played the game that brings me more enjoyment, and pleasure to watch than what Bontempelli does every week. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the likes of Grant, Johnno, Libba sr, West etc. And for other clubs, Judd, the Ablett's, Voss, Buddy, Duck, Lockett, but there's just something about this Bontempelli that is different to anything we've ever had.

Let's be honest, the kids still going at about 65-70%. He's missed a fair chunk of pre season, and only played one JLT game. He was up forward for about 50% of the night last night. But it just seemed that every time Collingwood were coming, he was the one who kicked a crucial goal, or gave off a breathtaking handpass.

He obviously doesn't have the sheer strength of a Fyfe, the speed and explosiveness of a Dangerfield, or a trademark don't argue of a Dusty. But what he has is an incredible knack of being in the right spot at the right time, and a ballerina like way of keeping his balance. And as good as Pendles was last night, Bontempelli has something that even he lacks.

The funny thing is, I don't even know what it is. Because when you look at him, besides the height he's not an overly imposing figure. He's not fast, he hasn't got a big frame, not explosive, but he's just so bloody good at this game of Australian Rules Football. Enjoy the ride for hopefully the next 10 years dogs fans. We've finally been blessed with our face of the AFL match winner. Enjoy every moment of what it brings.

I had a shocking week at work. And after last nights game, the trains back to Geelong were delayed and ridiculously busy, and I didn't get home until after 1:30. But after witnessing the Bont out there on the MCG, and doing 3-4 ridiculous things makes it all worth the trip up to the game.

There is not one other individual that's ever played the game that brings me more enjoyment, and pleasure to watch than what Bontempelli does every week. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore the likes of Grant, Johnno, Libba sr, West etc. And for other clubs, Judd, the Ablett's, Voss, Buddy, Duck, Lockett, but there's just something about this Bontempelli that is different to anything we've ever had.

Let's be honest, the kids still going at about 65-70%. He's missed a fair chunk of pre season, and only played one JLT game. He was up forward for about 50% of the night last night. But it just seemed that every time Collingwood were coming, he was the one who kicked a crucial goal, or gave off a breathtaking handpass.

He obviously doesn't have the sheer strength of a Fyfe, the speed and explosiveness of a Dangerfield, or a trademark don't argue of a Dusty. But what he has is an incredible knack of being in the right spot at the right time, and a ballerina like way of keeping his balance. And as good as Pendles was last night, Bontempelli has something that even he lacks.

The funny thing is, I don't even know what it is. Because when you look at him, besides the height he's not an overly imposing figure. He's not fast, he hasn't got a big frame, not explosive, but he's just so bloody good at this game of Australian Rules Football. Enjoy the ride for hopefully the next 10 years dogs fans. We've finally been blessed with our face of the AFL match winner. Enjoy every moment of what it brings.
He was a bit rusty due to as you say an interrupted pre season. But those 3-4 special things he did were unreal.

Think it will be like last year where he works into the season, look out when he is 100%!

After the bit of play in this gif, Dannnnnnnnnn and I had a good laugh at how easy Bont gets rid of tacklers. There's stuff like Dustin Martin and Stringer's don't argue, but nothing is as beautiful as the Bont and his "no... just no"

MetallicDarkDungenesscrab.gif

After the bit of play in this gif, Dannnnnnnnnn and I had a good laugh at how easy Bont gets rid of tacklers. There's stuff like Dustin Martin and Stringer's don't argue, but nothing is as beautiful as the Bont and his "no... just no"

MetallicDarkDungenesscrab.gif
It wasn't that play, there was one where he literally slapped the hand away with his right hand. Can't remember when it was exactly, but that one's good too.

Way to take credit for my joke, too, bitch. I told it better anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't that play, there was one where he literally slapped the hand away with his right hand. Can't remember when it was exactly, but that one's good too.

Way to take credit for my joke, too, bitch. I told it better anyway.
It was literally this play. I remember because it was Mayne and he sucks.

I took no credit.

The great man looked a bit sore/ injured today. big month coming up hopefully he is all good

Didn't really notice Bont having issues. I was sitting above the interchange and definitely saw that Dunkley copped a hit in the back and was tender for most of the game while Tom C had an ankle or lower leg problem. It looked a bit achillies-like.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back