AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - #31 Ella Wood

Remove this Banner Ad

1571722778164.png

Height: 164cm
DOB: 14/02/01
Position: Defender/ Midfielder
Past: Western Bulldogs/GWV Rebels
Honours: 2019 Vic Country U18 Representative

"I'm a super massive Richmond supporter so being able to run out in the colours and be with all the girls, yeah, super excited!" - Ella Wood

1571952938382.png

“Ella has been part of our program for the last three seasons. She plays through the midfield, on a wing and up forward, so she’s an all-round player. She had a shoulder injury towards the end of last year and will be looking for a bit of redemption. She could surprise a lot of people.” - GWV Rebels Female Talent Coordinator Krista Woodroffe

1573168500917.png
1573168557433.png

1571899039841.png

Last edited:
Ararat's Ella Wood is on the brink of making football history
Ararat's Ella Wood is on the verge of history.
She could be the first player from Ararat to be selected in the AFLW draft.

At 11am on Tuesday, AFLW clubs will select footballers from across the country for the 2020 season.
Wood attended the AFLW combine earlier this month, a two-day camp of skill sets and meetings with potential clubs.

"After the combine I still wasn't sure if I would get an invite to the draft," Wood said.
"I thought I did OK at the combine, but there were so many other girls who were really talented as well.
"The AFLW was late in sending out the invites to the draft, and I was pretty nervous waiting."
Wood said the draft was a really unknown process. Even after being invited, she was unsure if she would get picked up by an AFLW club.
"At the end of the day, I would be happy to be picked anywhere and be able to play football," Wood said about her preference of club.
"I haven't really thought too far ahead. My future is something I'll need to look into if I am not fortunate enough to be picked. There are other pathways and avenues to play football at a higher standard."
Starting her career at an Auskick clinic, Wood played under-12s at Tatyoon before continuing her football career at the Ararat Mounties. She then played three seasons with the Ararat Storm.
One of five children, Wood went along to a number of junior football games and training sessions with her older brothers.
"I picked up the football and had a natural kick and thought to myself I would take on the opportunity," she said.
"My brothers like to take the credit sometimes for my career - one of my brothers also has a left foot and always says I got my kick from him."
A turning point in Wood's career was the interschool competition and playing under the guidance of Leanne Gill.
"I was fortunate to be selected for the Victorian side and it was a huge confidence boost," she said. "I initially didn't want to try out but was glad I did and was fortunate enough to get picked."
Being selected in the Greater Western Victoria Rebels program, Woods said the development opportunities she received over a number of years had played a big part in her football journey.
A move to the backline this season has helped Wood become accustomed to the pressure.
"I feel I've really grown as a footballer this year," she said. "The pressure has been a weakness in my game.
"I've always hated the pressure of the backline but I think when you have a great bunch of girls and supportive coaches it allows you to keep your head up high, no matter the score.
"Mental strength has been a really big focus this year and I think I've turned my weakness into something I can comfortably manage."
Wood's parents, Andrew and Megan will travel with the young footballer to the draft on Tuesday.
"We don't really know what to expect, only from what we've seen from past years," Mr Wood said.

"We never expected an invite to the draft - that came as a shock. We had already organised to have the day off and was just going to watch it at home.
"We're pretty excited. But as we've done for the whole of Ella's career, we will just take it one step at a time."

Last edited:
Published on October 18, 2019 11:00 am

AFLW-Draft-Watch-Ella-Wood-895x490.jpg
aflw-draft-watch-ella-wood

article_photo_credit_bg.png

AFLW DRAFT WATCH: ELLA WOOD
Ella Wood’s high expectations fired her progression from the GWV Rebels all the way to the VFLW Grand Final with the Western Bulldogs, but they also mean she has unfinished business.

18-year-old Wood’s 2019 season finished with an appearance in the Bulldogs’ 37-point loss to Collingwood in the Swisse Wellness VFL Women’s decider – just her seventh match at senior level.
The Ararat (AFL Goldfields Women’s FL) junior couldn’t have hoped for a bigger stage on which to present her case to clubs for selection in October 22’s NAB AFL Women’s Draft, but she isn’t taking her rise to prominence for granted.
A tough standard-setter, Wood looks back on her NAB League Girls campaign with the Rebels, the 2019 NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships with Vic Country and her stint in the VFLW as a template for improvement.
“I’m feeling quite proud of what I’ve achieved, but I feel like I could have put a lot more forward this year,” Wood said at the recent NAB AFLW Draft Combine, where she recorded the equal-fifth-best time overall in the 2km time trial.
“I feel like I don’t have much of an impact on the game sometimes, unless it’s a one-percenter like laying a tackle or making a block.
“Coaches do like the one-percenters, and I’ve had a few coaches tell me I do well behind the ball but that it’s just about getting my hands on it. I just don’t get my hands on the ball enough and I think that’s something I need to improve on.”
Wood averaged 14 disposals per game across her eight NAB League Girls matches for the Rebels, shifting from her usual midfield position into defence for the first time.
Later in 2019, Wood averaged seven touches and four tackles per game in the VFLW, with the Magpies testing her development as a defender during their bombardment of the Bulldogs’ back line in the season finale.
“It was my first time playing in the back line this year and it was good to learn some different things,” Wood said.
“As a midfielder, you don’t really know what the back-liners actually do and all the hard work they put in. Playing that role showed me how hard it is with the pressure of being in the back line.
“A lot of the time you just have to grab the ball and get it out of there, but having someone kick a goal on you and feeling responsible for that is hard.”
Wood’s adjustment to her new role was accelerated by several AFLW-listed Bulldogs stars – who may also have helped temper those high expectations she has of herself.
“The vibe around the Bulldogs was amazing,” Wood said. “It really encouraged me to put my best foot forward.
“AFLW girls such as Ellie Blackburn, Deanna Berry and Bonnie Toogood were very knowledgeable about the game, and there were a few that I was lucky enough to play with, like Lauren Spark. Having her in the back line during games to teach me while playing helped a lot.
“I often put myself down or blame things on myself, but the positivity those AFLW girls have is something I want to be able to bring to a club as well.”

Sophie Molan, Ella Wood and Nekaela Butler amongst potential AFLW draftees

As AFLW sides prepare to bring in it's new batch of young players, the Greater Western Victoria Rebels are hoping a number of girls from the program will progress to Australia's premier women's football competition.
Tuesday's seven-round 102 pick draft is the biggest in the competition's four-year history.

GWV Rebels women's coach Rhys Cahir told The Courier he believes three Rebels players could be selected, with a talented pair of mid-fielders invited to attend the draft's first round in Melbourne.

Sophie Molan and Ella Wood will both be in attendance on Tuesday afternoon along with Cahir. The coach also believe's top-age player Nekaela Butler could be selected in the later rounds of the draft.

HOPEFUL: Ella Wood showcased her running and ball-winning ability with the Rebels in 2019.

HOPEFUL: Ella Wood showcased her running and ball-winning ability with the Rebels in 2019.

Cahir said it's an exciting time for everyone surrounding the three girls and their development as football players.
"It's pretty exciting obviously for the girls but also for their schools, their clubs and their families," he said.
"They are three girls who we believe are a massive chance (to get drafted). It's pretty exciting to think that we'll have a few more Rebels in the AFLW."
Cahir believes both Molan and Wood have the potential to impact AFLW clubs right away, while Butler may take some time while she develops a greater confidence in her own skill.
"I think Sophie Molan can contribute very early, she's a natural leader and has really worked hard at her craft to get herself into this position.
"Ella Wood is similar in that she got into the program and has continued to push herself and make a difference on the ground.

"Nekaela Butler has really come on late... we've thought she had the potential to get drafted and we've pushed her that way as much as she might not have thought it. She's worked really hard to give herself a chance, she's got all the talent in the world and just needs the confidence going forward."
The three women made up the core of the Rebel's leadership group in 2019, which saw the side win two of its nine games.
GWV Rebels talent manager Phil Partington echoed Cahir's excitement, adding that if the girls are drafted it will set a great example the younger players in the program.
They took the responsibility on themselves to be leaders of the program," he said.
"They're really level headed and their leadership abilities amongst our team this year has been outstanding. They've driven the standard up within our program and they pass that legacy onto the bottom-age girls. Those girls that are new to the program see how hard Sophie, Ella and Nekaela train and it rubs off on them. They're helping us create a bright future."

Last edited:
OCTOBER 23 2019 - 8:30AM
Molan, Wood describe emotional draft day

As Greater Western Victoria Rebels duo Sophie Molan and Ella Wood sat in the Pavilion at the Melbourne Showgrounds during the AFLW draft, nerves were running high.

Despite the fact both had been projected to be drafted, Molan and Wood told The Courier they were the furthest thing from calm as the names began to be called out.
"I was so nervous at the start of the day," Molan said.

"My family were reassuring me at home that I would get drafted but you just don't believe it until it happens."
Wood echoed her rebels teammates sentiments.

"There was a lot of shaking and sweating, I've been super nervous in the lead up to this day. It's something I'd worked for over the past 11 or 12 years," Wood said.

Even after being drafted seventh overall, Molan said it took a while for reality to sink in.
"Even after I was drafted, putting on the jersey it doesn't feel real, I'm still shaking."
A standout in her fourth year with the Rebels in 2019, Molan thanked the people she said had helped her get to her to this point.
"Parto (Phil Partington) and Rhys (Cahir) at the Rebels have done so much for me over the four years that I've been there and I definitely wouldn't be the player I am today without their help.
"Mt Clear Football Club was amazing... letting me actually play being the only girl, the skills that I have now is a testament to them letting me play and the (Lake Wendouree) Lakers kept letting me play once I left Mt Clear."
While Molan spoke to the media after the draft's first round, she missed the second and third rounds, which saw her Rebels teammates Ella Wood (pick 31) and Nekaela Butler (pick 55) join her at Richmond.

DREAM COME TRUE: Sophie Molan holds her new Richmond jumper after being drafted seventh overall in the AFLW darft. Picture: Richmond Football Club.

Once it had been brought to her attention, it seemed nothing could wipe the smile off Molan's face.
"It's awesome... to play together at Richmond now is just the cherry on top. We're pretty good mates so hopefully we won't cause too much of a ruckus down at Tigerland," she laughed.
Wood, who has been a Tigers fan her entire life, said it was a surreal feeling to simply wear the yellow and black as a member of the new women's side.
"It kind of felt like a dream. To be heading to Richmond, I'm just super stoked and excited to just get out there with the girls. I've been a huge Tigers supporter my whole life so I'm just really excited."
Coming from Ararat, Wood thanked the people around her for always having faith in her ability.
"My whole family and close friends have always supported me. They've never doubted me at all and that's been huge.

Last edited:
Wood ‘super stoked’ to begin AFLW journey
Grace Kalac, richmondfc.com.au
Oct 25, 2019 11:25AM

Ella Wood chats to Richmond Media after being drafted at Pick 31 in the 2019 AFLW draft.
by Richmond in Tuesday’s NAB AFL Women’s Draft, she became the first ever player from Ararat to be selected in the AFLW draft.
The 18-year-old was taken by the Tigers with pick 31 following a breakthrough season with the GWV Rebels, where she was named in the team’s best in five of seven matches.
Her impressive form in the NAB league earnt her the chance to prove herself in the VFLW for the Western Bulldogs, where she relished the opportunity to take her game to the next level.
Now, as an AFLW Tiger, she’ll be taking it one step further.
“I’m super, super stoked to be a part of the Richmond Football Club and very excited to get out there and begin this journey,” Wood said.
“I couldn’t believe it (getting drafted to Richmond), it felt like a dream.”
For a lifelong Richmond supporter, pulling on a Tigers guernsey holds special significance to Wood.
“To be able to run out in the colours and be with all the girls, I’m super excited,” she said.
Wood offers versatility and skills in spades. The hard-running midfielder is clever with ball in hand and has a penetrating left-foot pick.
“I’m able to play anywhere on the ground and willing to do whatever it is the coach wants me to do,” Wood said.

As she looks towards her debut season in the Yellow and Black, Wood can’t wait to play alongside two Tigers she faced up against during this year’s VFLW season, Katie Brennan and Monique Conti.
“Katie Brennan is a big one. I did play against her in one of the VFLW games and she was one of the standouts so I’m very excited to get to play with her, as well as Monique Conti,” she said.
She expects her time in the VFLW to assist her in settling into AFLW level.
“Playing with the Bulldogs really developed me as an individual and I think that’s really benefitted the way I play as well,” she said.
“I’m so super excited to see how Richmond go about it and see how I can go next season.
“If I can get a game Round 1, that’d be great.”
Wood said it was “unbelievable” that herself and fellow Rebels teammates Sophie Molan and Nekaela Butler, all ended up at Tigerland through the 2019 draft.
“We’ve gone through football together with Rebels, nationals and even our local club as well. So, I’m super excited to see where this goes,” she said.

AFLW Pocket Profile: Ella Wood

By richmondfc.com.au - Just now
wood_1024.jpg

Get to know a little more about AFLW Tiger Ella Wood...
Guernsey number:
Position: Midfielder/defender
Height: 163cm
D.O.B.: 14/02/2001
Nickname: Woody
Instagram handle: @ellawooood
Local club: Ararat Storm Football Club
Club supported growing up: Richmond
Hidden talent: Not sure
Pre-game meal: Any sort of pasta
Favourite holiday destination: Warrnambool
Favourite TV show: Friends!!
Most-used app: Snapchat
Cats or dogs: Dogs
Greatest inspiration and why: My family because I wouldn’t be where I am today without them. They’ve pushed me and supported from day one and I’m so grateful.
Favourite type of kick: Penetrating kick
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game off: Kaitlyn Ashmore and Trent Cotchin

FEBRUARY 6 2020 - 4:40PM
Ella Wood and region's footballers ready for 2020 AFLW season
Richard Crabtree
Matt Currill

Ella Wood in action during Richmond's pre-season. Picture: RICHMOND TIGERS

Ella Wood in action during Richmond's pre-season. Picture: RICHMOND TIGERS

Ararat's Ella Wood stands on the verge of football history, as Richmond gears up for its first AFLW clash on Friday night.

Wood is a chance to play in the Tigers' season opener against Carlton and become the first footballer from Ararat to feature in the landmark competition.

Wood was drafted to the Tigers in October's AFLW National Draft alongside Horsham's Nekaela Butler.
Wood has featured heavily in Richmond's pre-season hitouts, slotting into a star-studded midfield alongside captain Katie Brennan.

It is the club's inaugural season in the AFLW, as one of four teams added to the competition for the 2020 season.
While the pair weren't sure if they would line up for round one - teams were released on Thursday evening - being members of Richmond's first AFLW squad carried more than enough excitement for Butler.
"I don't really care if I get named this week," Butler saidon Thursday morning.
"It's just the experience. To be around it, going to the ground to watch everyone else play, and everyone around the club getting really excited ... I'm just happy to be a part of it.
"I've enjoyed it so much. It's literally a dream come true what I'm doing right now."
Nekaela Butler gets a handball away during the Richmond Tigers' pre-season training. Picture: RICHMOND TIGERS

Nekaela Butler gets a handball away during the Richmond Tigers' pre-season training. Picture: RICHMOND TIGERS

Butler said the move from Horsham to Melbourne, and an intense pre-season, was made easier by her supportive teammates.
"It has been very intense. We're all at an elite level now, so all I can do is really push myself and try to get better," she said.
"The club has also provided me with a host family down here, so it's been really easy to settle into it all.
"The best part has been the girls and my teammates, who have all just been so supportive and helped me so much."

Ella Wood's jumper Presentation.
Think mum and dad would agree that's its that little bit more special when you are already mad Tigers!

1582594628282.png
1582594552126.png
1582594586769.png
1582594661176.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back