AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - #43 Holly Whitford

Remove this Banner Ad

FEBRUARY 21 2019 - 11:00AM
Home crowd for Whitford
  • Heidi Kraak
Sport

AFLW Collingwood player and Gippsland local Holly Whitford will play at Morwell Recreation Reserve this weekend. file photograph

AFLW Collingwood player and Gippsland local Holly Whitford will play at Morwell Recreation Reserve this weekend. file photograph

AFLW
Gippsland local and Collingwood AFLW midfielder/forward Holly Whitford is keen to impress crowds at Morwell Recreation Reserve on Sunday when the Pies take on the GWS Giants in round 4.

Drafted as a rookie for Collingwood in 2017, the Sale City veteran's life is completely different and "probably better in a sense", as she takes her duty as "role model" seriously.
Whitford is passionate about meeting young footballers "excited to be AFL and AFLW stars" and "make an impact in the community" with words of wisdom to share.

"It's a bit different with girls - they just need to give it a go," she said.
"They can get a bit scared, but give it a go, don't give up - if you want it enough, you'll get it and you'll find a way."
With the marked rise of AFLW in recent years, Whitford said young female footballers now had role models to "kick like" - something which boys had had for a long time, but had been lacking for girls.
"[AFLW] creates a pathway for younger girls that are just starting out, somewhere to go from Auskick all the ay up to a professional league," she said.
"I would have loved to have been apart of the girls football team [at Sale City] when I was playing [in Sale] - it makes me very happy that they've finally got one."
Whitford said it was "pretty special" to be able to travel home to Gippsland to "play a game at home".
"I'm from a rural area, I travel all over Australia and not everyone... gets to come back home and play in front of a home crowd, so it is pretty special in that way," she said.
"[The game] could go either way - we're feeling pretty good, but both teams are pretty hungry.
"We've been reviewing the last few weeks and looking forward to getting down there, having a crack and playing a bit of football."

FEBRUARY 21 2019 - 11:00AM
Home crowd for Whitford
  • Heidi Kraak
Sport

AFLW
Gippsland local and Collingwood AFLW midfielder/forward Holly Whitford is keen to impress crowds at Morwell Recreation Reserve on Sunday when the Pies take on the GWS Giants in round 4.

Drafted as a rookie for Collingwood in 2017, the Sale City veteran's life is completely different and "probably better in a sense", as she takes her duty as "role model" seriously.
Whitford is passionate about meeting young footballers "excited to be AFL and AFLW stars" and "make an impact in the community" with words of wisdom to share.

"It's a bit different with girls - they just need to give it a go," she said.
"They can get a bit scared, but give it a go, don't give up - if you want it enough, you'll get it and you'll find a way."
With the marked rise of AFLW in recent years, Whitford said young female footballers now had role models to "kick like" - something which boys had had for a long time, but had been lacking for girls.
"[AFLW] creates a pathway for younger girls that are just starting out, somewhere to go from Auskick all the ay up to a professional league," she said.
"I would have loved to have been apart of the girls football team [at Sale City] when I was playing [in Sale] - it makes me very happy that they've finally got one."
Whitford said it was "pretty special" to be able to travel home to Gippsland to "play a game at home".
"I'm from a rural area, I travel all over Australia and not everyone... gets to come back home and play in front of a home crowd, so it is pretty special in that way," she said.
"[The game] could go either way - we're feeling pretty good, but both teams are pretty hungry.
"We've been reviewing the last few weeks and looking forward to getting down there, having a crack and playing a bit of football."

The 'weird' tactic helping new Tiger bounce back from disappointment
RICHMOND draftee Holly Whitford's story is one of determination.
She was passed over in the 2017 NAB AFLW Draft before being picked up as a rookie, playing five games for Collingwood over two seasons (including just one in 2019).
Whitford was subsequently delisted, but a strong VFLW season with Melbourne Uni saw the Tigers come knocking, selecting her with pick No.43.
The 20-year-old is a resolute figure both on and off the field.
A small utility, Whitfield is a fierce tackler who didn't get a heap of the ball when playing with the Pies, but ran hard, with concentration and a small, focused frown etched upon her face.
Whitfield enjoyed Collingwood the club – the players, coaches and staff – but the seasons themselves were tough.
She reached out to a psychologist, through the services provided by the AFLPA, for reassurance and support when she wasn't getting a game.
"She helped me through, all I did was try my hardest, supported the girls as much as I could as a player, friend and teammate," Whitford told womens.afl.
"I got as much feedback as I could from the coaches, I tried my hardest and at the end of the day, it wasn't working.
No bad blood (with Collingwood)."
Whitford said while meditation didn't work for her, one "weird" tactic that did was using playdough.
"[The psychologist] said the fumes in playdough can sometimes relax you, so as embarrassing as it is, I play with playdough when I get stressed, constructing things or cutting it, and it relaxes me," Whitford said.
"Collingwood were really good about all that sort of stuff.
They were really supportive, they know it's tough and this industry is brutal.
I was trying little things like the playdough or Lego, just trying to reassure myself that I wouldn't be here if I wasn't good enough.
"I've been lucky enough to get a second chance, I'm going to throw everything I have at it.
"Not that I didn't last year, but it obviously wasn't meant to be.
"I've learnt from it, I know what it's like to feel like you're not getting picked every week, and I'm going to throw everything at it, because it's a s**t feeling.
"But it's part of it, and you bounce back because you love the game, you love your teammates and your club, so it's worth it."
A consistent six months at VFLW club Melbourne Uni – under Whitfield's former Vic Country coach and current North Melbourne leader Scott Gowans – helped restore some confidence.
"It was really hard leaving Collingwood (and not playing VFLW), but looking back now, it was probably the best decision I'd made.
It revitalised me, I felt more confident, I had a different group of people," Whitford said.
"When [Gowans] contacted me, I couldn't pass it up.
I had a really good six months in the VFLW, felt more confident, I was starting to love the game again.
I worked really closely with Scotty and all the line coaches, even the North AFLW girls were there and I was integrated with them.
"I was getting more feedback from different kinds of people, different views on everything, about my footy and how I went about it.
"I was working on just getting my hands on the ball, decision-making, whether to go left or right.
Pretty much just being confident when I had the ball, not freaking out, taking a breath before I kick and having the confidence that when I do that kick, I'm going to make it."
Whitford was at a friend's house on the day of the draft, pacing back and forth between a jigsaw puzzle and the television before her name was read out.
She's now hoping to take up a third opportunity to line up in a season-opener (against Carlton on February 7), having not been selected for Collingwood's round one matches in 2018 and 2019.
"It's a burning rage, but it's good.
I am striving so hard to get that opening game, that's been my goal.
This year, there's so much rage inside of me, but I need it."

Think people don't really understand how tough it is sitting on the sidelines in AFLW waiting for your opportunity.
It's not like you can push for selection through reserve grade matches. All you have is training to impress.
Tough gig in comp that lasts 8 weeks for most teams.
As tough as these girls are I think mental health would be a big issue in AFLW. I think this is where we are really lucky to have Kate Sheahan as she has walked that very path.

Last edited:
Think people don't really understand how tough it is sitting on the sidelines in AFLW waiting for your opportunity.
It's not like you can push for selection through reserve grade matches. All you have is training to impress.
Tough gig in comp that lasts 8 weeks for most teams.
As tough as these girls are I think mental health would be a big issue in AFLW. I think this is where we are really lucky to have Kate Sheahan as she has walked that very path.

Yes like Holly said in the article that you try your best, train well, but don't get picked to play it starts to eat away at your confidence
No doubt that there are a lot of clubs that have full time player welfare officials that handle the mental side of things
I agree there is only so many games played in a AFLW season, but I hope they rotate all the players so they at least have a game
Being our first season hopefully all the players experience playing for our great club, barring injury of course
Holly seems to have her drive, desire and most of all her love of the game back which is a great thing for her and our club
Unfortunately Collingwood AFLW wasn't run as well as could be in the first season to be honest, which affected a few players like Mo Hope etc
It's interesting the part about PLAYDOH being relaxing as I find that to be true when playing with my granddaughter :)

Yes like Holly said in the article that you try your best, train well, but don't get picked to play it starts to eat away at your confidence
No doubt that there are a lot of clubs that have full time player welfare officials that handle the mental side of things
I agree there is only so many games played in a AFLW season, but I hope they rotate all the players so they at least have a game
Being our first season hopefully all the players experience playing for our great club, barring injury of course
Holly seems to have her drive, desire and most of all her love of the game back which is a great thing for her and our club
Unfortunately Collingwood AFLW wasn't run as well as could be in the first season to be honest, which affected a few players like Mo Hope etc
It's interesting the part about PLAYDOH being relaxing as I find that to be true when playing with my granddaughter :)

Haha I’ll have to give the playdoh a try myself.

I doubt there would be any thinking of a rotation system in AFLW to give players games. You have to be good enough to get in the 21.

Collingwood were the worst run AFLW club by a long way. I think they just thought it would just all happen because they were Collingwood. Their recruiting was terrible and there was a lot of player unrest which continued beyond their first season. It showed on the field as they are the worst performed AFLW club over the three years of the competition. In saying that I think that we have benefited as Kate no doubt learnt a lot from it and you can be sure we haven’t made the same mistakes.

Haha I’ll have to give the playdoh a try myself.

I doubt there would be any thinking of a rotation system in AFLW to give players games. You have to be good enough to get in the 21.

Collingwood were the worst run AFLW club by a long way. I think they just thought it would just all happen because they were Collingwood. Their recruiting was terrible and there was a lot of player unrest which continued beyond their first season. It showed on the field as they are the worst performed AFLW club over the three years of the competition. In saying that I think that we have benefited as Kate no doubt learnt a lot from it and you can be sure we haven’t made the same mistakes.

No doubt the club won't be gifting spots, just a suggestion to give each player a go in our very first year of AFLW football, very historic
I got the feeling from what Holly said, they (Pies) didn't give her a reason for being left out of the team, something to improve on, a goal maybe
With Kate on board I believe we're in a lot better position to communicate with players better regarding things like that
Hope Holly really smashes it this year and beyond

AFLW Pocket Profile: Holly Whitford

By richmondfc.com.au - 1 day ago

Guernsey number: 20

Position: Utility

Height: 164cm

D.O.B.: 11/02/1999

Nickname: Whitters, however I'm open to receiving a better one!

Instagram handle: @holly_whitford

Local club: Sale City

Club supported growing up: Collingwood

Hidden talent: Still figuring that one out

Pre-game meal: Spaghetti bolognese

Favourite holiday destination: Queensland

Favourite TV show: Friends and Grey’s Anatomy

Most-used app: Instagram

Cats or dogs: DOGS!!

Favourite type of kick: Torpedo

Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: This Is Me - The Greatest Showman

Greatest inspiration and why: Roger Federer - he has won upwards of 103 titles and 20 grand slams and is still so humble and cries every time he wins a tournament.

Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game off: Alicia Eva because she doesn't let her size or physique get in the way of how she plays.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back