AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - #55 Nekaela Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

JULY 23 2019 - 11:00AM
Nekaela Butler shines with the Western Bulldogs in VFLW
Nekaela Butler flies and lands a spoil against the Southern Saints on Sunday. Picture: ELANOR JEANNE PHOTOGRAPHY

Nekaela Butler flies and lands a spoil against the Southern Saints on Sunday. Picture: ELANOR JEANNE PHOTOGRAPHY

Horsham Demon Nekaela Butler has made a promising start to her VFLW career.
Butler signed with the Western Bulldogs after impressing during a trial period, and played her third VFLW match at the weekend.

Butler said it had been a whirlwind experience.
"It's been really fun, and I've been going alright," she said.

"The Bulldogs messaged me about coming down to train with them a while ago, and I thought it would just be normal training. But after about a month or two, they asked me to play a game.
"It was pretty cool - definitely unexpected."
Playing in the VFLW gave Butler a chance to test herself in one of the country's highest quality leagues.
Butler (#57) listens in the huddle. Picture: ELEANOR JEANNE PHOTOGRAPHY

Butler (#57) listens in the huddle. Picture: ELEANOR JEANNE PHOTOGRAPHY

In her debut, Butler came up against AFLW players, including two-time All-Australian and six-foot ruck Sabrina Frederick.
"It was pretty nerve-wracking," Butler said.
"In my first game I was up against Katie Brennan and Sabrina Frederick. I almost got taken out by Sabrina at one stage, which was quite scary."
But far from being overwhelmed by the quality of her opposition, Butler shined in her debut match.
READ MORE: Butler seizes her opportunity in the Lady Hornets starting five
She was named in the Bulldogs' best as they defeated Richmond 4.4 (28) to 2.10 (22).
"It was very surprising to get in the best," Butler said.
"I would say it wasn't my best game. I probably held my own, but I didn't think I quite did well enough to get in the best. It was nice though.
"It has been pretty cool to play against some AFL players."
Butler searches for the football against Richmond. Picture: ELEANOR JEANNE PHOTOGRAPHY

Butler searches for the football against Richmond. Picture: ELEANOR JEANNE PHOTOGRAPHY

Butler continued her good form into the side's next two matches, a 10 point win against Casey Demons and a 15 point loss to the Southern Saints.
Butler said the step-up in quality had allowed her to play with more confidence.
"It's hard to explain, the football is quicker than the (Greater Western Victoria) Rebels, and there's a lot more skill," Butler said.
"You can put a lot more trust in your teammates, and know that people are going to have your back if you stuff up.
"With those more skillful players, it can be a bit easier to just play football."
RELATED: Butler's podium finish at Rebels best and fairest
The promising beginning had Butler hopeful of being selected in the 2019 AFLW draft, expected to be held in October.
"That's definitely my goal," Butler said. "Since I was a kid, I always wanted to get drafted, but I never thought it could actually happen.
"I'm just really hoping I can get picked up."

View attachment 768935

"Mum and I barrack for Richmond, so it is even better to go to Richmond."

Height: 161cm
DOB: 04/06/01
Past: Western Bulldogs/GWV Rebels

Nekaela Butler and Ella Wood drafted by the Richmond Tigers in the 2019 AFLW National Draft
Horsham's Nekaela Butler and Ararat's Ella Wood had their dreams come to fruition at the AFLW National Draft on Tuesday morning.
The Greater Western Victoria Rebels teammates will start their AFLW careers with the same side, as they were both drafted to the Richmond Tigers.
Wood was taken in the second round at pick 31 while Butler was selected at pick 55.
Butler was attending her last day of school when the news came through, sending Horsham College into rapturous celebration.
"I don't know what to say - I've always hoped for it, it was a dream, but I didn't think it would actually happen," Butler said.
"It's a really surreal feeling right now.
"Mum and I barrack for Richmond, so it is even better to go to Richmond."
Butler said she fell in love with football after playing with the school four years ago.
She encouraged other aspiring young female footballers to work hard and dream big.
"I did Auskick when I was little, but then I started playing school footy, which is when things started to happen.
I got into the pathways of footy after that," she said.
"I would just say (to other young girls) don't give up, just keep playing.
You will get there in the end if you work hard for it."
Butler's GWV Rebels coach Rhys Cahir said Butler had pushed herself into draft calculations late in the season.
"We've thought she had the potential to get drafted and we've pushed her that way, as much as she might not have thought it," Cahir said.
"She's worked really hard to give herself a chance.
She's got all the talent in the world and just needs the confidence going forward."

Sophie Molan, Ella Wood and Nekaela Butler amongst potential AFLW draftees

LEADER: Sophie Molan is being predicted to be drafted within the top ten picks of Tuesday's AFLW draft. Pictures: Adam Trafford.

As AFLW sides prepare to bring in it's new batch of young players, the Greater Western Victoria Rebels are hoping a number of girls from the program will progress to Australia's premier women's football competition.
Tuesday's seven-round 102 pick draft is the biggest in the competition's four-year history.

GWV Rebels women's coach Rhys Cahir told The Courier he believes three Rebels players could be selected, with a talented pair of mid-fielders invited to attend the draft's first round in Melbourne.

Sophie Molan and Ella Wood will both be in attendance on Tuesday afternoon along with Cahir. The coach also believe's top-age player Nekaela Butler could be selected in the later rounds of the draft.

Cahir said it's an exciting time for everyone surrounding the three girls and their development as football players.
"It's pretty exciting obviously for the girls but also for their schools, their clubs and their families," he said.
"They are three girls who we believe are a massive chance (to get drafted). It's pretty exciting to think that we'll have a few more Rebels in the AFLW."
Cahir believes both Molan and Wood have the potential to impact AFLW clubs right away, while Butler may take some time while she develops a greater confidence in her own skill.
"I think Sophie Molan can contribute very early, she's a natural leader and has really worked hard at her craft to get herself into this position.
"Ella Wood is similar in that she got into the program and has continued to push herself and make a difference on the ground.
Nekaela Butler.

Nekaela Butler.

"Nekaela Butler has really come on late... we've thought she had the potential to get drafted and we've pushed her that way as much as she might not have thought it. She's worked really hard to give herself a chance, she's got all the talent in the world and just needs the confidence going forward."
The three women made up the core of the Rebel's leadership group in 2019, which saw the side win two of its nine games.
GWV Rebels talent manager Phil Partington echoed Cahir's excitement, adding that if the girls are drafted it will set a great example the younger players in the program.
They took the responsibility on themselves to be leaders of the program," he said.
"They're really level headed and their leadership abilities amongst our team this year has been outstanding. They've driven the standard up within our program and they pass that legacy onto the bottom-age girls. Those girls that are new to the program see how hard Sophie, Ella and Nekaela train and it rubs off on them. They're helping us create a bright future."

Last edited:
FEBRUARY 6 2020 - 4:40PM
Ella Wood and region's footballers ready for 2020 AFLW season
Richard Crabtree
Matt Currill

Ella Wood in action during Richmond's pre-season. Picture: RICHMOND TIGERS

Ella Wood in action during Richmond's pre-season. Picture: RICHMOND TIGERS

Ararat's Ella Wood stands on the verge of football history, as Richmond gears up for its first AFLW clash on Friday night.

Wood is a chance to play in the Tigers' season opener against Carlton and become the first footballer from Ararat to feature in the landmark competition.

Wood was drafted to the Tigers in October's AFLW National Draft alongside Horsham's Nekaela Butler.
Wood has featured heavily in Richmond's pre-season hitouts, slotting into a star-studded midfield alongside captain Katie Brennan.

It is the club's inaugural season in the AFLW, as one of four teams added to the competition for the 2020 season.
While the pair weren't sure if they would line up for round one - teams were released on Thursday evening - being members of Richmond's first AFLW squad carried more than enough excitement for Butler.
"I don't really care if I get named this week," Butler saidon Thursday morning.
"It's just the experience. To be around it, going to the ground to watch everyone else play, and everyone around the club getting really excited ... I'm just happy to be a part of it.
"I've enjoyed it so much. It's literally a dream come true what I'm doing right now."
Nekaela Butler gets a handball away during the Richmond Tigers' pre-season training. Picture: RICHMOND TIGERS

Nekaela Butler gets a handball away during the Richmond Tigers' pre-season training. Picture: RICHMOND TIGERS

Butler said the move from Horsham to Melbourne, and an intense pre-season, was made easier by her supportive teammates.
"It has been very intense. We're all at an elite level now, so all I can do is really push myself and try to get better," she said.
"The club has also provided me with a host family down here, so it's been really easy to settle into it all.
"The best part has been the girls and my teammates, who have all just been so supportive and helped me so much."

AFLW Pocket Profile: Nekaela Butler
Get to know a little more about AFLW Tiger Nekaela Butler...
By richmondfc.com.au
butler_1024.jpg

Guernsey number: 22
Position: Defender
Height: 161cm
D.O.B.: 04/06/2001
Nickname: Nikybut or Butts
Instagram handle: @nikybut6
Local club: Horsham Demons
Club supported growing up: Richmond
Hidden talent: I can juggle
Pre-game meal: Banana and peanut butter on toast
Favourite holiday destination: Gold Coast
Favourite TV show: Riverdale
Most-used app: Snapchat
Cats or dogs: Dogs
Favourite type of kick: Torpedo
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Can’t Hold Us - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
Greatest inspiration and why: My mum because she has reminded me to never give up no matter what
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game off: Sydney Stack

Remove this Banner Ad

Back