AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - #7 Sophie Molan

Remove this Banner Ad

1580784069911.png
1571719754084.png

Height: 175cm
DOB: 23/03/01
Position: Midfielder
Past: Western Bulldogs/GWV Rebels
Honours: 2019 GWV Rebels U18 Captain / 2019 NAB AFL Women’s Under-18 All Australian / 2018/2019 Vic Country U18 Representative

GWV Rebels 2019 Cup Preview

“Sophie is an all-rounder. She plays through the midfield and is a very neat player. She’s also a good leader on the ground. She’s grown up playing footy and just has a really good footy brain.” - GWV Rebels Female Talent Coordinator Krista Woodroffe

Recruiters say: "Very consistent year, starred at the nationals and adapted to VFLW really well with the Dogs, including a good finals series. Good at stoppages, motors across the ground, accumulates the ball really well inside and outside."

2019 All Australian Selection (Midfield):
"Medium midfielder with a strong overhead mark who can recover and win it at ground level. A very good finisher who averaged 16 disposals, 10 contested, 2.8 clearances and 5.2 tackles a game throughout the 2019 NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships."

1572043415153.png

1571898966508.png

Molan ‘honoured’ to be Richmond’s first ever AFLW draftee
Grace Kalac, richmondfc.com.au
Oct 23, 2019 4:33PM

All Australian. VFLW Grand Finalist. GWV Rebels captain. Acclaimed Vic Country representative.
With such an impressive resume following a season bursting with opportunity, it’s no wonder Sophie Molan was chosen to be Richmond’s first ever AFLW draft selection.
A tough, dependable, 175cm midfielder, Molan was taken by the Tigers with pick 7 in Tuesday’s NAB AFL Women’s Draft.
The 18-year-old from Ballarat said she was “honoured” to make Richmond history.
“I’m so stoked to be at Richmond and I can’t wait to see what the pre-season holds,” she said.
While she admits she had no idea what club she would end up at, Molan said she was “hopeful” it would be Richmond.
“I’d had a few chats to Tom (Tom Hunter - AFLW coach) and Kate (Kate Sheahan - Head of Women's Football) and all the staff but you never really know what’s going to happen,” she said.
On the field, Molan boasts versatility, competitiveness and elite ball-winning skills.
“I’m pretty clean on the ground and my handball out of the contest is pretty good, I think I’ll work well in the midfield,” she said.

Molan arrives at Tigerland well-prepared, after garnering senior level experience playing in the Western Bulldogs’ VFLW side this year.
“It taught me a lot, especially with the bigger bodies and how fast the game is compared to Under 18s,” she said.
“So, it was definitely a learning curve.”
Making the most of her time at the Bulldogs, Molan was rewarded for her outstanding form with a VFLW Grand Final berth.
She is confident the big game experience will hold her in good stead when she makes her AFLW debut.
“It’s a pretty big stage. To have the experience of playing in the big Grand Final in front of that many people, it reassures you that you can do it, and I (won’t) get too nervous when the day comes.”

sophiem_1024.jpg

Joining Molan in ihe inaugural Tigers’ AFLW list is Richmond’s third draft selection, Ella Wood, who was taken at pick 31.
Wood will be a familiar face around the Club for Molan. The duo played together at numerous levels this year, including the NAB league, VFLW and the national championships.
“We’ve done a lot together at the Rebels and Vic Country and at the Doggies,” Molan said.
“So, I’m pretty excited to continue this journey together.”
Following her year of captaincy at the GWV Rebels, Molan hopes her leadership traits are something she will continue to develop at Tigerland.
“I’m a pretty calm person, pretty ‘go with the flow’. I’m easy to get along with, so I’m really looking forward to meeting all the other girls and seeing what they’re like in person,” she said.

Last edited:
HOW RICHMOND'S FIRST EVER AFLW DRAFTEE SWITCHED FROM A TIGER TO A MAGPIE
BY NIC NEGREPONTIS AN HOUR AGO
AA221019DB0638.JPG

It’s a story as old as drafts themselves, with Richmond’s first ever AFL Women’s draftee Sophie Molan growing up a Tigers fan.
… Until she switched to Collingwood.

Molan, the captain of the Greater Western Victoria Rebels, lives in a house divided between the black and yellow and the black and white.
She made the switch from the Tigers to the Magpies, but is more than happy to make the move back.
“I started as a Richmond fan, but then I swapped to Collingwood,” Molan said.
“When I started primary school I jumped over to Collingwood.
“I don’t know (what caused the switch), half my family is Richmond and half are Collingwood and I just knew more of the Collingwood players so I just jumped on that bandwagon.
“I always watched the footy and just knew more of the Collingwood players and just thought, why not.
“Then they won the flag in 2010 so I just stayed there I guess.
“Half my family are Richmond supporters so they’re going to be pretty stoked when they find out.
“Our family has always been a Richmond-Collingwood mix, like you support both teams, but I think there’ll be more Richmond merch around the house.
“(Richmond) actually knew that already when I spoke to them so they’re alright with it so long as I’ve got a spot for Richmond in my heart.

Molan said she was humbled to go down in history as the first ever Richmond AFLW draftee.
“It’s pretty incredible to be their first ever pick. All I wanted was to get drafted and to be their first pick is pretty exciting,” she said.
Molan hopes to play in the midfield for the Tigers, but believes she can slot in wherever the brand new side needs her.
“I’d like to stay in the midfield, that’s where I think I play my best footy, but I’ll have to see how my pre-season goes,” Molan said.
“If they need me to paly somewhere else, I’m a pretty versatile player so I am happy to play forward or back or wherever they want me to play.
“It’s an exciting time for the club, their first game in the AFL, it will be a great day for everyone involved.”
The Tigers had a number of picks on draft day, taking multiple GWV Rebel teammates of Molan, including Ella Wood and Nekaela Butler.
Richmond made 13 selections in total as they look to build out their AFLW squad from scratch.
Those players join high profile recruits Katie Brennan, Sabrina Frederick, Monique Conti and Christina Bernardi.

Sophie Molan celebrates a goal during the VFLW Grand Final between the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood. Photo: Daniel Pockett

Sophie Molan celebrates a goal during the VFLW Grand Final between the Western Bulldogs and Collingwood.
This season has been full of exciting new opportunities for 18-year-old Sophie Molan.
But there is no doubt her season as a “young pup” held her in good stead as the potential top-10 pick went from strength to strength in 2019.
In less than 24 hours, Molan could well continue her journey as a ‘young pup’, with the Western Bulldogs among the clubs likely to consider handing her an AFLW opportunity at the national draft on Tuesday.
Representing the Bulldogs’ VFL side, Molan was lucky enough to feature on the big stage as the club made it all the way to the Grand Final.
Grand Final

She was playing in front of thousands of fans at Ikon Park.

“Going and playing VFL with the Doggies was another massive step and making it all the way to the Grand Final, it was amazing,” Molan told foxfooty.com.au.
“That was probably one of my highlights of the year. On the big stage and having all the AFL girls in the team, it was really good to have support this year. Unfortunately we didn’t win, but having that experience under my belt really helped.
“We caught a team bus (to get there). Even that was something I’d never done in that kind of context. The security around the ground, it was fenced off everywhere and we could only go in and out of our rooms at certain times.

“Even running through a banner — that was the first time I’d run through a banner and the fireworks — it was really good fun. I feel like I didn’t really get overwhelmed because I was just there to play football, but it was the biggest crowd I’d play in front of.
“(We were) playing against Collingwood who had some really quality AFLW players in the team, so (I was) trying to put myself up against them. It was a really good experience and hopefully set me up there for next year.”
Sophie Molan is a potential top 10 pick in the 2019 AFLW draft. Photo: Dylan Burns

Sophie Molan is a potential top 10 pick in the 2019 AFLW draft.
In a season that Molan describes as being “really exciting”, the draft prospect represented Vic Country exceptionally well and was notably among their best players, as she used her versatility and effectiveness to win the ball.
But it was the crucial learning off some of the best AFL women’s players — including a number of premiership players — which were crucial in building Molan’s footballing class.
“They (Western Bulldogs players) were all amazing. Coming into it was like a little kid again,” she said.
“I’ve gone from the NAB League to being the leader, to being called the young pup.
“Kirsty Lamb took me under her belt pretty quickly and being in the midfield with her was a really good learning experience. She was always someone I could go and talk to.
“The knowledge of Ellie Blackburn helped me out at training, even though we didn’t get to play together very often, she was really good at training, teaching me about the little things. Even all the AFL girls they just got around you.
“I think the main thing was that when we were brought in, you are (told you are) the young ones but you know your football and you know why you are here. I think at the start I was very tentative and sat back and let them do it. But towards the end some of the coaches were like: ‘Come on you know your stuff, you can share that with the other girls.’
“That was a bit of a learning being a young one but learning what I know with the older girls. That was a big step.”
Like many of the girls in the draft pool, Molan played a number of sports, including basketball at Vic Country level. However, her passion and fun for football — which begun when she was eight — won out.
And if her name is called out on Tuesday, Molan’s love of the game will most certainly have paid off.

It's just a small thing but I LOVE the fact that Sophie was wearing glasses. Show's she is confident and very comfortable being herself.

EXACTLY the culture at Richmond. Welcome Sophie. Hope you leave a Tiger great.

It's just a small thing but I LOVE the fact that Sophie was wearing glasses. Show's she is confident and very comfortable being herself.

EXACTLY the culture at Richmond. Welcome Sophie. Hope you leave a Tiger great.

Sophie is going to have a great career.
Imagine Sophie Molan, Ella Wood, Conti, Brennan, Campbell, Brancatisano, Burchell and Jacques ripping it up in the centre
Imagine Emily Harley, Cleo Saxon-Jones, Bernardi, Frederick, Stahl and Wakefield killing it in the forward line
Imagine Laura McClelland, Sarah Sansonetti, Nekaela Butler, Miller, Monahan, Dempsey and Makur-Chuot being a brick wall in the back line
Think it was John Lennon who wrote the song, brings a tear to my eye

Sophie Molan, Ella Wood and Nekaela Butler amongst potential AFLW draftees
Women in Sport

LEADER: Sophie Molan is being predicted to be drafted within the top ten picks of Tuesday's AFLW draft. Pictures: Adam Trafford.

LEADER: Sophie Molan is being predicted to be drafted within the top ten picks of Tuesday's AFLW draft. Pictures: Adam Trafford.

As AFLW sides prepare to bring in it's new batch of young players, the Greater Western Victoria Rebels are hoping a number of girls from the program will progress to Australia's premier women's football competition.
Tuesday's seven-round 102 pick draft is the biggest in the competition's four-year history.

GWV Rebels women's coach Rhys Cahir told The Courier he believes three Rebels players could be selected, with a talented pair of mid-fielders invited to attend the draft's first round in Melbourne.

Sophie Molan and Ella Wood will both be in attendance on Tuesday afternoon along with Cahir. The coach also believe's top-age player Nekaela Butler could be selected in the later rounds of the draft.

Cahir said it's an exciting time for everyone surrounding the three girls and their development as football players.
"It's pretty exciting obviously for the girls but also for their schools, their clubs and their families," he said.
"They are three girls who we believe are a massive chance (to get drafted). It's pretty exciting to think that we'll have a few more Rebels in the AFLW."
Cahir believes both Molan and Wood have the potential to impact AFLW clubs right away, while Butler may take some time while she develops a greater confidence in her own skill.
"I think Sophie Molan can contribute very early, she's a natural leader and has really worked hard at her craft to get herself into this position.
"Ella Wood is similar in that she got into the program and has continued to push herself and make a difference on the ground.

"Nekaela Butler has really come on late... we've thought she had the potential to get drafted and we've pushed her that way as much as she might not have thought it. She's worked really hard to give herself a chance, she's got all the talent in the world and just needs the confidence going forward."
The three women made up the core of the Rebel's leadership group in 2019, which saw the side win two of its nine games.
GWV Rebels talent manager Phil Partington echoed Cahir's excitement, adding that if the girls are drafted it will set a great example the younger players in the program.
They took the responsibility on themselves to be leaders of the program," he said.
"They're really level headed and their leadership abilities amongst our team this year has been outstanding. They've driven the standard up within our program and they pass that legacy onto the bottom-age girls. Those girls that are new to the program see how hard Sophie, Ella and Nekaela train and it rubs off on them. They're helping us create a bright future."

Last edited:
OCTOBER 23 2019 - 8:30AM
Molan, Wood describe emotional draft day
  • Ben Hopkins
As Greater Western Victoria Rebels duo Sophie Molan and Ella Wood sat in the Pavilion at the Melbourne Showgrounds during the AFLW draft, nerves were running high.

Despite the fact both had been projected to be drafted, Molan and Wood told The Courier they were the furthest thing from calm as the names began to be called out.
"I was so nervous at the start of the day," Molan said.

"My family were reassuring me at home that I would get drafted but you just don't believe it until it happens."
Wood echoed her rebels teammates sentiments.

"There was a lot of shaking and sweating, I've been super nervous in the lead up to this day. It's something I'd worked for over the past 11 or 12 years," Wood said.

Even after being drafted seventh overall, Molan said it took a while for reality to sink in.
"Even after I was drafted, putting on the jersey it doesn't feel real, I'm still shaking."
A standout in her fourth year with the Rebels in 2019, Molan thanked the people she said had helped her get to her to this point.
"Parto (Phil Partington) and Rhys (Cahir) at the Rebels have done so much for me over the four years that I've been there and I definitely wouldn't be the player I am today without their help.
"Mt Clear Football Club was amazing... letting me actually play being the only girl, the skills that I have now is a testament to them letting me play and the (Lake Wendouree) Lakers kept letting me play once I left Mt Clear."
While Molan spoke to the media after the draft's first round, she missed the second and third rounds, which saw her Rebels teammates Ella Wood (pick 31) and Nekaela Butler (pick 55) join her at Richmond.
DREAM COME TRUE: Sophie Molan holds her new Richmond jumper after being drafted seventh overall in the AFLW darft. Picture: Richmond Football Club.

DREAM COME TRUE: Sophie Molan holds her new Richmond jumper after being drafted seventh overall in the AFLW darft. Picture: Richmond Football Club.

Once it had been brought to her attention, it seemed nothing could wipe the smile off Molan's face.
"It's awesome... to play together at Richmond now is just the cherry on top. We're pretty good mates so hopefully we won't cause too much of a ruckus down at Tigerland," she laughed.
Wood, who has been a Tigers fan her entire life, said it was a surreal feeling to simply wear the yellow and black as a member of the new women's side.
"It kind of felt like a dream. To be heading to Richmond, I'm just super stoked and excited to just get out there with the girls. I've been a huge Tigers supporter my whole life so I'm just really excited."
Coming from Ararat, Wood thanked the people around her for always having faith in her ability.
"My whole family and close friends have always supported me. They've never doubted me at all and that's been huge.

I am so happy we got Sophie, I could cry
To have the 4th best player in Victoria is my dream come true

The more I see the more I like. Just looks like a footballer and will compliment our midfield superbly.

Having now had a good look at both Sophie and Nell Morris-Dalton, Bulldogs must have been leaning towards filling a need in their forward line at pick 6 ahead of taking the best available player. They still managed to boost their midfield with other picks so fair enough.

Last edited:
I may have missed it but what’s the foot or lower leg injury as she was in a moon boot ?
I noticed that too but there was no noticeable limp or anything when she came up on stage when her name was called and post draft they were talking about her being ready to have an impact in AFLW straight away so probably just a post season cleanup thing.

The more I see the more I like. Just looks like a footballer and will compliment our midfield superbly.

Having now had a good look at both Sophie and Nell Morris-Dalton, Bulldogs must have been leaning towards filling a need in their forward line at pick 6 ahead of taking the best available player. They still managed to boost their midfield with other picks so fair enough.
I believe pick 6 (VIC pick 4) is too high a pick for Nell Morris-Dalton, to use such a high pick it would normally have to be an elite KPP forward, think a Katie Brennan type. They did get Isabella Grant as father daughter pre-draft for a steal at pick 47, so they effectively already had two top 10 picks in Newton and Grant before this pick. Grant is a mobile and versatile player who can play as midfield. I think because of this the Dogs used this pick on needs as you say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe pick 6 (VIC pick 4) is too high a pick for Nell Morris-Dalton, to use such a high pick it would normally have to be an elite KPP forward, think a Katie Brennan type. They did get Isabella Grant as father daughter pre-draft for a steal at pick 47, so they effectively already had two top 10 picks in Newton and Grant before this pick. Grant is a mobile and versatile player who can play as midfield. I think because of this the Dogs used this pick on needs as you say

Yes agree with you both, I think it had a lot to do with Nathan Burke (bulldogs coach) who coached Vic Metro
All the picks they had, Newton, Morris-Dalton, Lagioia, Georgostathis, Grant, Gutknecht, Van Oosterwijck were Vic Metro players
Good luck to the Dogs as they picked up top end talent, to compensate loosing Brennan, Conti etc
The way I look at it is, Brennan, Conti, Fredricks are TOP 5 picks if they were in the draft this year, then we have Molan, McClelland, Wood, and Sansonetti
Probably we are in front on a player list grading as we have a core of say Brennan, Conti, Fredricks and our draft picks, where as they have only their draft picks to fill the holes in their list
Will be interesting to see how each club goes in 2020 AFLW season, should be a good rivalry between us and the dogs
go tigerettes

I think there will be a little rivalry and there may be nothing in this and I don’t know who pointed it out to the ump, but the way they just happened to be out of position for the last centre bounce in the final and the umpire had to stop and count all the players and then tell them to move and then gave them a warning all the while the clock was running down cause theres no time on for the women and we lost by 5 points after having five scoring shots on goal to they’re 0 for the term.

after the last few years of success I reckon that was the most flat I’ve felt after a game

Last edited:
I think there will be a little rivalry and there may be nothing in this and I don’t know who pointed it out to the ump, but the way they just happened to be out of position for the last centre bounce in the final and the umpire had to stop and count all the players and then tell them to move and then gave them a warning all the while the clock was running down cause theres no time on for the women and we lost by 5 points after having five scoring shots on goal to they’re 0 for the term.

after the last few years of success I reckon that was the most flat I’ve felt after a game

Cheats
AND they are calling Katie Brennan a "duplicitous traitor"?????

Cheats
AND they are calling Katie Brennan a "duplicitous traitor"?????
I was sitting down our end on the seats around the boundary and started shouting at em to get on with it.
I nearly dropped the F bomb infront of my daughter

You showed remarkable restraint Cdog, considering the circumstances :) 👍
I think the AFLW team has got some real talent and we’re gonna be right in it this year, just as long as we don’t get dudded in an unbalanced conference setup.
It’s got me stuffed how they can set that up so it’s fair.
It’s a strange league setup for elite level sport.

Hope there’s some merchandise from the womens team for their fans too.

I think the AFLW team has got some real talent and we’re gonna be right in it this year, just as long as we don’t get dudded in an unbalanced conference setup.
It’s got me stuffed how they can set that up so it’s fair.
It’s a strange league setup for elite level sport.

Hope there’s some merchandise from the womens team for their fans too.

I've started a general 2020 season thread so the player pages can just be about the players.

Fitting indeed, wonder whether the numbers will carry over to the VFLW next season?

Yeah I think they'll stay the same.
Our AFL and VFL numbers don't overlap.

1 to 28 are all taken plus 34 and 43.
40+ for any rookies with the others available going to our returning VFLW girls plus any established VFLW signings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back