AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - Grace Campbell

Remove this Banner Ad

Height: 164cm
Position: Midfield
DOB: Dec 5 1995

Campbell is a 24-year-old in her first season of state league football and has shown AFLW traits ever since arriving at the Swinburne Centre in the pre-season.

The Bendigo product, recruited from Bendigo Thunder, has averaged an unprecedented 8.6 tackles a game along with 14 disposals and looks well equipped to handle the step up to AFLW due to her tenacity at the contest.

Last edited:
View attachment 714018

Height: 164cm
Position: Midfield
DOB: Dec 5 1995

Campbell is a 24-year-old in her first season of state league football, has shown AFLW traits ever since arriving at the Swinburne Centre in the pre-season.

The Bendigo product, recruited from Bendigo Thunder, has averaged an unprecedented 8.6 tackles a game along with 14 disposals and looks well equipped to handle the step up to AFLW due to her tenacity at the contest.

View attachment 714022

Woohoo my favourite player, love the way she goes about her footy, tough and fearless
Another one we both called would be promoted,
TigermanM2
I read an article that said she has 2 sisters (Ruby and Lily) and all three played for Vic Country which would have to be a first
Grace and Lily played for the U/21 Vic Country team and younger sister Ruby played in the U/18 Vic Country team in the same year 2014
Hope that Grace's promotion might lead to Lily and Ruby being selected in the future, 3 sisters playing in the same team would be huge
With Grace, who will only get better and Conti, Brennan in the square at centre bounces and Edmonds feeding them looks as good as our AFL set up of Nank feeding Cotchin, Martin and Prestia

Woohoo my favourite player, love the way she goes about her footy, tough and fearless
Another one we both called would be promoted,
TigermanM2
I read an article that said she has 2 sisters (Ruby and Lily) and all three played for Vic Country which would have to be a first
Grace and Lily played for the U/21 Vic Country team and younger sister Ruby played in the U/18 Vic Country team in the same year 2014

Hope that Grace's promotion might lead to Lily and Ruby being selected in the future, 3 sisters playing in the same team would be huge
With Grace, who will only get better and Conti, Brennan in the square at centre bounces and Edmonds feeding them looks as good as our AFL set up of Nank feeding Cotchin, Martin and Prestia

Think she will be a few people’s favourite when AFLW 2020 comes around and a few more people see her play.

Erin Phillips and the Hosking sisters are about as tough as they come in AFLW in my book. Grace is right up there.

Grace Campbell signs deal to join Richmond's inaugural AFLW squad

Adam Bourke July 23 2019

It's fitting that AFLW club Richmond announced the signing of Grace Campbell on the same day the annual Year 9/10 girls school football carnival was played in Bendigo.
The same carnival eight years ago changed Campbell's life forever and without it she might not have had the opportunity to be part of the Tigers' inaugural AFLW side.

"I always played netball and did little athletics and then one day I decided to play in the (Weeroona College) school team at a carnival,'' Campbell said.
"I loved it. The Huntly under-18 footy coach approached me to see if I wanted to play and I stopped playing netball from there and stuck with footy."

After a standout junior career that included Victoria Country selection, Campbell graduated from under-18 girls footy to the Bendigo Thunder senior team where she quickly established herself as one of team's premier midfielders.
Her footy career was flourishing until early in the 2017 season when she suffered a serious knee injury playing for the Thunder at the QEO.
The knee reconstruction forced her to miss the remainder of the 2017 season and all of the 2018 season.

Just when AFLW was blossoming, Campbell had to watch on from the sidelines.
"I never had any doubts about going back to footy...I just had to make sure my knee was right,'' the 23-year-old said.
Her return to footy started in November last year when she decided to travel to Shepparton for a training day with Richmond's new VFLW team.
"I went to a trial day in Shepparton and from there I was asked to go to a pre-season training day at Richmond,'' Campbell said.
"Everything progressed from there."

Campbell's rookie season in VFLW has been first-class.
In nine games with the third-placed Tigers she's been in the best players five times.
She impressed the Tigers that much that the club contracted her as one of their seven AFLW pre-draft selections.
"I've been a bit surprised how well I've performed,'' Campbell admitted.
"I've been consistent and got enough of the ball to have an impact.
"It's a good feeling to know the club wanted to secure me before any other side had the chance to get me in the draft.
"When I did my knee I wondered if I'd missed the boat with AFLW because I thought it can be so hard to get into the system.
"I'm so lucky to be given the opportunity with the Tigers. Hopefully, I can take it to the girls in the AFLW."

Campbell tackles AFLW opportunity

Grace Kalac, richmondfc.com.au
Jul 24, 2019 11:20AM

When Grace Campbell suffered an ACL injury in 2017, she was forced to put her AFLW aspirations on the backburner.

It was a huge setback for the then 22-year-old, who worried she may have missed her chance at reaching the game’s highest level.

But two years on, and many hours of rehab later, Campbell is an AFLW Tiger.

“It’s a fantastic opportunity, I didn’t expect it,” Campbell, now 23, said.

“Especially having the injury in 2017, it sidelined me for a couple of years… it probably took a little bit longer than expected to get back into footy.

“It was a pretty big shock (to be signed) but it’s awesome, I can’t wait to be out there with the girls.”

A Bendigo product, Campbell spent her formative years playing for Bendigo Thunder.

In her return from injury this year, she’s been quick to make an impression in her first season of state league football.

The midfielder has skyrocketed up the ranks, establishing herself as one of the VFLW Tigers’ most reliable, tenacious on-ballers. Her efforts this year have been unparalleled, she is averaging 8.6 tackles per game to go along with 14 disposals.

“One of my strengths is my pressure around the ball…I think my tackling will probably be the main thing that I’ll bring to our team,” Campbell said.

“I’m very energetic and love getting around the girls so I’m super excited.”

Campbell’s Tigerland journey began when she attended a Come and Try Day in Shepparton late last year. The rest, she says, “is history”.

“Once I got down to Richmond, they really supported me through my rehab program and got me back going,” she said.

“The Richmond Women’s program is fantastic, it’s so professional. You’re surrounded by girls who are likeminded and just so happy to be there.

“It makes you strive to want to better and it’s an awesome environment.”

With her AFLW contract now secured, Campbell is looking forward to celebrating with her support network back home where her football journey began.

“Bendigo is where I started my footy and they’re fantastic. I’ve got a huge family which support me and I reckon they’ll be very, very excited,” Campbell said.

“We’ve had a few girls come out of Bendigo who have played AFLW so getting another one is pretty exciting.”

Think she will be a few people’s favourite when AFLW 2020 comes around and a few more people see her play.

Erin Phillips and the Hosking sisters are about as tough as they come in AFLW in my book. Grace is right up there.

TigermanM2 for your continued support of our VFLW and AFLW squads, I ask the Mods and/or the people in charge to give you the medal of honour, Victoria Cross and the nobel peace prize
Please keep up your incredible support!!!!!👍👍👍:tigerface::tigerface::tigerface:

TigermanM2 for your continued support of our VFLW and AFLW squads, I ask the Mods and/or the people in charge to give you the medal of honour, Victoria Cross and the nobel peace prize
Please keep up your incredible support!!!!!👍👍👍:tigerface::tigerface::tigerface:

Haha nah mate. Just enjoy doing it.
Think the girls deserve it.
Thanks for the kind words

Writing history: Campbell’s Christmas wrap
As Richmond embarks on its inaugural AFLW season, the players will be taking Tiger fans on the journey with them as they share their experiences. Today, midfielder Grace Campbell details the final training week of 2019...
By Grace Campbell, richmondfc.com.au on Dec 23, 2019, 2:06pm
campbell_191219.jpg

As Richmond embarks on its inaugural AFLW season, the players will be taking Tiger fans on the journey with them as they share their experiences. Today, midfielder Grace Campbell details the final training week of 2019...
We’ve now had our last training session of 2019 and it’s hard to believe we’re halfway through the pre-season.
It’s already been a Christmas to remember, having been a part of Christmas at Tigerland this year for the first time.
It was such a fun night and another history-making event for the Club. To join forces with the men's side, run out together and hit the training track as a collective was such a special experience.
We commenced the session with a joint team meeting starting with some icebreaker activities, which was pretty funny. We then got out on the track and did some drills together, pairing up with the AFL player we share a guernsey number with.

https://twitter.com/RichmondWomens

I think the break will be nice for us to recharge and spend some time with our families. A lot of the girls, including myself, have moved away from home to pursue their football. It’s a huge commitment, so I think we’ll all enjoy spending quality time with our loved ones over the break.
In saying that, everyone’s pretty excited to get stuck into the pointy end of the pre-season.
The more time we spend with one another, the more connections we build and the tighter our culture becomes. Our recruit staff have done such a fantastic job, we’ve got some awesome young talent who have slipped straight into the playing group.
I think we’re really enjoying spending time with one another and are building something pretty special. I can’t wait to see what the second half of the pre-season and the rest of 2020 brings.

AFLW Pocket Profile: Grace Campbell
Get to know a little more about AFLW Tiger Grace Campbell...
By richmondfc.com.au
A02W0069-COPY.jpg
Guernsey number: 43

Position: Midfielder
Height: 165cm
D.O.B.: 05/12/1995
Nickname: Cambo, Garec
Instagram handle: @gareccampbell
Local club: Bendigo Thunder
Club supported growing up: North Melbourne
Hidden talent: I can walk on stilts
Pre-game meal: Some sort of pasta or a Grill’d burger
Favourite holiday destination: Murray River
Favourite TV show: Married at First Sight
Most-used app: Instagram
Cats or dogs: Dogs for sure
Greatest inspiration and why: My parents because they are always thinking of others and forever making sacrifices for my sisters and I.
Favourite type of kick: Drop punt
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game off: Dion Prestia, I love his attack on the ball, his ability to win the ball and inside contests, and his overall work rate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't have any inside info but, as I theorised on the main board the other day, a lowly pick 43 suggests to me that Grace's availability must be in doubt. If work commitments etc are likely to have her sitting out a bunch of games, the trade starts to makes sense.

She has been traded to North Melbourne for pick 43

Our midfield is already bad enough and they decide to trade away Campbell who at least tackled/ran hard in there. A year in the system would have ironed out some of her flaws IMO. Those players we brought in better be dazzlers because we’re screwed if they are not.

I am going to be honest and say that I really don’t have much confidence in whoever runs our AFLW program. With this decision + not matching on Grace Egan’s bid, I don’t get the sense that they know what they are doing. Anyways, I won’t be too critical of this yet because we don’t know how it’ll eventuate, but I don’t like this decision right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back