AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - Hannah Burchall

Remove this Banner Ad

1580796297091.png

Burchell becomes an AFLW Tiger
Richmond has made their eighth AFLW signing with Hannah Burchell joining the Club as a delisted free agent.
By richmondfc.com.au on Apr 30, 2019, 4:48pm
mkfZDTyo.JPG

Richmond has made their eighth AFLW signing with Hannah Burchell joining the Club as a delisted free agent.

Burchell, 24, made her AFLW debut for Geelong against GWS in Round 7 this year.

Known for her speed and two-way running, Burchell graduated onto the Cats’ inaugural AFLW list after two standout seasons in their VFLW program.

Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan, said the Club jumped at the opportunity to sign Burchell who had been commuting to Geelong from Melbourne.

“Hannah’s been a part of the Geelong program for the past three years and has developed into a really skillful, energetic player,” she said.

“She is a life-long Richmond fan and the kind of uplifting personality that we think will be a great asset to have around our group.

“We’ve already got to know Hannah and cannot wait to have her here and involved. We feel her football will really benefit with less travel demands here in Melbourne.”

1580796472902.png

AFLW Pocket Profile: Hannah Burchell

By richmondfc.com.au - 5 hrs ago
burchell_1024.jpg

Get to know a little more about AFLW Tiger Hannah Burchell...
Guernsey number: 9
Position: Midfielder
Height: 170cm
D.O.B.: 25/02/1995
Nickname: Burch, Bircha, Bircha Muesli
Instagram handle: @han_burchell
Occupation: School nurse waiting for a job as a paramedic with Ambulance Victoria
Local club: Richmond VFLW
Club supported growing up: Richmond
Hidden talent: I can play the drums
Pre-game meal: Stir fry
Favourite holiday destination: Noosa
Favourite TV show: Have You Been Paying Attention
Most-used app: Twitter
Cats or dogs: Dogs
Favourite type of kick: Drop punt
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Black Skinhead - Kanye
Greatest inspiration and why: My num and dad because they've taught me to be grateful and humble and they gave me the best childhood.
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game off: Shane Edwards because he has silky skills and is very composed.

AFLW: News and stories in the lead up to the new women’s season
Jon Ralph

Football has always been No.1 for Hannah Burchell. But, when she was “aged out” of juniors, she thought that dream was over. That’s when she discovered ‘Chooty’.

It was during a game of Melbourne University “chicks footy” while chasing her second passion that Hannah Burchell realised a long-dormant dream might be in reach.
Studying paramedicine and living at St Mary’s College, Ocean Grove’s Burchell had long ago been forced out of football by under-14 level like so many girls before her.
Her dad was a doyen of the Ocean Grove Football Club but when she was “aged out” she moved on and decided her dream of becoming a paramedic would be her No.1 goal.

Five years later Burchell is about to enter her third year at Richmond after that single game reignited the flame.

The journey has taken her via Geelong’s VFLW and AFL teams to a club at Punt Rd Oval her family has supported for her whole life.

It is an extreme juggling act, with Burchell balancing a burgeoning professional football career with her work as a paramedic in Ocean Grove and Melbourne.

It means turning up at pre-season training the day after an all-night 16-hour shift, but Burchell is determined she won’t compromise either pursuit.

“Footy was always No.1 and dad was heavily involved at Ocean Grove Football Club as a life member and like many of us I had to pull the pin once we got to under-14s,” she said.

“So I stepped away and got into boundary umpiring. It wasn’t what I wanted to do but I still loved footy.

“I went to Australian Catholic Uni but lived on residence at Melbourne Uni and there was a girls’ footy team. They called it “chooty”. Chicks footy. So I gave it a go and I don’t want to say I dominated but I did better than I thought I would and thought, “This is quite fun”.

Burchell’s “chooty” performance led to a talent ID day at Geelong, where she progressed from the VFLW to representing the AFLW side in its first season before repeated quad tears saw her delisted.

“I played one game and I was delisted and devastated,” she said. “I reached out to Richmond the old-fashioned way. I grew up a mad Tiger and so I reached out to (footy boss) Kate Sheahan and fortunately signed as an AFLW player in their first team.”

Burchell, 26, has played 14 games across two seasons as a hard-running winger while learning to integrate her football life into her off-field employment.

“I get to live two dreams,” she said. “I think it gives me a greater perspective on things.

“You have that part of my life where you see some nasty and sad things, but it just gives you a greater appreciation of what you have, as clichéd as it sounds.

“It’s certainly tough but I love the challenge of it. I love having to think at 3am in the morning, helping people, seeing smiles on patients’ faces and the gratitude they have.

“It’s tough at times. I have been fortunate to have a part-time arrangement, which wasn’t an easy process, but I have had really good support around me and I can’t thank them enough for that.

“Working full-time and training and doing gym and tough sessions can be really tough.”

Burchell says sleep deprivation is the hardest challenge leading into training sessions or games.

“I do 14-hour night shifts that can turn into 16-hour night shifts,” she said. “So if you work Thursday night and then drive back from Ocean Grove to Melbourne and then get a few hours sleep and come to training early on Saturday.

“On paper it seems OK but in reality you miss a lot of sleep and meal times and you are fatigued because of work.

“That was a struggle but I worked closely with the dietician and performance coach and we adjusted things and managed it as we went.”

Now for Burchell comes what all athletes aspire to as soon as they make the grade — team success after 0-6 and 3-6 seasons.

“The initial novelty of the first and second seasons is done,” she said. “We are out there to win. Not that we weren’t in the first seasons. We are settled as a group, we have found our connection. We have a very solid coaching group in place and our whole core group feels very settled.”

Jon Ralph

Football has always been No.1 for Hannah Burchell. But, when she was “aged out” of juniors, she thought that dream was over. That’s when she discovered ‘Chooty’.

It was during a game of Melbourne University “chicks footy” while chasing her second passion that Hannah Burchell realised a long-dormant dream might be in reach.
Studying paramedicine and living at St Mary’s College, Ocean Grove’s Burchell had long ago been forced out of football by under-14 level like so many girls before her.
Her dad was a doyen of the Ocean Grove Football Club but when she was “aged out” she moved on and decided her dream of becoming a paramedic would be her No.1 goal.

Five years later Burchell is about to enter her third year at Richmond after that single game reignited the flame.

The journey has taken her via Geelong’s VFLW and AFL teams to a club at Punt Rd Oval her family has supported for her whole life.

It is an extreme juggling act, with Burchell balancing a burgeoning professional football career with her work as a paramedic in Ocean Grove and Melbourne.

It means turning up at pre-season training the day after an all-night 16-hour shift, but Burchell is determined she won’t compromise either pursuit.

“Footy was always No.1 and dad was heavily involved at Ocean Grove Football Club as a life member and like many of us I had to pull the pin once we got to under-14s,” she said.

“So I stepped away and got into boundary umpiring. It wasn’t what I wanted to do but I still loved footy.

“I went to Australian Catholic Uni but lived on residence at Melbourne Uni and there was a girls’ footy team. They called it “chooty”. Chicks footy. So I gave it a go and I don’t want to say I dominated but I did better than I thought I would and thought, “This is quite fun”.

Burchell’s “chooty” performance led to a talent ID day at Geelong, where she progressed from the VFLW to representing the AFLW side in its first season before repeated quad tears saw her delisted.

“I played one game and I was delisted and devastated,” she said. “I reached out to Richmond the old-fashioned way. I grew up a mad Tiger and so I reached out to (footy boss) Kate Sheahan and fortunately signed as an AFLW player in their first team.”

Burchell, 26, has played 14 games across two seasons as a hard-running winger while learning to integrate her football life into her off-field employment.

“I get to live two dreams,” she said. “I think it gives me a greater perspective on things.

“You have that part of my life where you see some nasty and sad things, but it just gives you a greater appreciation of what you have, as clichéd as it sounds.

“It’s certainly tough but I love the challenge of it. I love having to think at 3am in the morning, helping people, seeing smiles on patients’ faces and the gratitude they have.

“It’s tough at times. I have been fortunate to have a part-time arrangement, which wasn’t an easy process, but I have had really good support around me and I can’t thank them enough for that.

“Working full-time and training and doing gym and tough sessions can be really tough.”

Burchell says sleep deprivation is the hardest challenge leading into training sessions or games.

“I do 14-hour night shifts that can turn into 16-hour night shifts,” she said. “So if you work Thursday night and then drive back from Ocean Grove to Melbourne and then get a few hours sleep and come to training early on Saturday.

“On paper it seems OK but in reality you miss a lot of sleep and meal times and you are fatigued because of work.

“That was a struggle but I worked closely with the dietician and performance coach and we adjusted things and managed it as we went.”

Now for Burchell comes what all athletes aspire to as soon as they make the grade — team success after 0-6 and 3-6 seasons.

“The initial novelty of the first and second seasons is done,” she said. “We are out there to win. Not that we weren’t in the first seasons. We are settled as a group, we have found our connection. We have a very solid coaching group in place and our whole core group feels very settled.”

Thanks for posting that TM2. That article probably explains a few things about Hannah and her form. Up and down like her work, eating and sleep patterns. Quad tears rarely totally go away, you are just one un-stretched kick or take-off away from another - takes constant thoughtful management. Such a simple thing to aggravate - especially playing short seasons!

She might be able step up some more and surprise a few maybe.....................

Jon Ralph

So many inspiring stories like this, another quality person and deserves some success and change of luck, definitely gets the respect from myself for being up against it and through sheer determination and sacrifice to chase a dream that others would see as being too hard. Our AFLW team has many unique stories from our women that although all different and compelling individually all have the common theme of overcoming difficult situations to achieve success as a Tiger.

Thanks for posting that TM2. That article probably explains a few things about Hannah and her form. Up and down like her work, eating and sleep patterns. Quad tears rarely totally go away, you are just one un-stretched kick or take-off away from another - takes constant thoughtful management. Such a simple thing to aggravate - especially playing short seasons!

She might be able step up some more and surprise a few maybe.....................

F me, I just don't know how she does it!

Physically you can push your body but the mental toll must be huge and probably the hardest to overcome.

There are heaps of these stories in AFLW.

F me, I just don't know how she does it!

Physically you can push your body but the mental toll must be huge and probably the hardest to overcome.

There are heaps of these stories in AFLW.

Agreed, it's a tougher route than most men face when you lay it all down on the table. You really do have to ADMIRE their commitment!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back