AFLW Welcome to TIGERLAND AFLW - Kodi Jacques

TigermanM2

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond

richmondfc.com.au
Aug 16, 2019 1:43PM

Silky, young midfielder Kodi Jacques is now an AFLW footballer, after being added to Richmond’s inaugural list this week.

The 18-year-old has been a consistent performer for the VFLW Tigers this season, averaging 10 disposals and five tackles across 11 games.

After putting in the hard yards over her first year in the Yellow and Black, Jacques said it felt “absolutely amazing” to have turned her dream into a reality.

“(Playing football) is all I ever wanted to do…as a young kid, I was two years old and had a footy in my hand,” Jacques said.

“I’ve been working pretty hard these last couple of years since (AFLW) become a factor.”

When Jacques first decided to give competitive football a go, it was obvious the teenager had a knack for the sport.

So much so, that she skipped local level entirely and started straight in the TAC Cup with the Bendigo Pioneers before joining local side Bendigo Thunder.

“I kind of did it the opposite way around but it all worked out in the end,” the Vic Country representative said.

“My parents always said when I was younger that I always had the natural ability to play football.”

The Bendigo local’s Tigerland journey began late last year when she attended a Richmond Women’s Come and Try Day in Shepparton.

The talent day proved a fruitful exercise for the Tigers’ recruiters with Jacques’ close friend from Bendigo, Grace Campbell, who she brought along to the session, also now on the inaugural Richmond AFLW list.

“Bendigo is an amazing community and they always get around us when something big like this happens…I can’t wait to play (AFLW) with Grace,” Jacques said.

Jacques, a former netballer, considers her kicking and defensive pressure the top traits she’ll bring to Richmond’s inaugural AFLW side.

She was surrounded by her Tiger teammates at a VFLW training session when she learnt of her selection, a moment she will forever cherish.

“It was absolutely amazing to have all the girls around me for that moment,” Jacques said.

“They mean the world to me, I absolutely love this Club and I love the girls as well.”

Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan, said Jacques had worked extremely hard to get to the point of being offered an AFLW contract.

“Kodi has matured immensely since she first joined our program last year, she has a lot of natural ability, but it has been her willingness to work that has helped her thrive,” Sheahan said.

“She has dedicated herself to being a committed, dependable team player. Everyone’s journey to the big league takes a different path and Kodi’s has been a rewarding one.

“We can’t wait to watch her continue to develop as she enters into a semi-professional regime, it’s a very exciting time for her and everyone at our Club.”

Jacques is the seventh and final Open Age VFLW elevation for the Tigers, with the remaining 14 spots on the list to be made up of NAB AFLW Draft and Rookie selections.

Height: 165cm
D.O.B.: 27-Sep-00
Nickname: Kodes, Jacquesy
Current local club: Bendigo Thunder
Club supported growing up: Collingwood
Greatest inspiration: My family, they always support me and want the best for me. I would not be where I am without them.
Favourite type of kick: Snap
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Savage by Whethan
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game on and why: I love how composed Scott Pendelbury is with ball in hand
Favourite teammate and why: Grace Campbell and Monique Conti, they love to have a laugh but are also both very professional and hard working and push me to be better.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TigermanM2

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Bendigo's Kodi Jacques shows top form in debut VFLW season with Richmond Tigers
Anthony Pinda
Bendigo Advertiser
JUNE 26 2019 - 6:30PM
https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/profile/619/anthony-pinda

When Bendigo's Kodi Jacques was growing up her dream was to play football on the big stage.
Surrounded by siblings who were footy obsessed - including Bridgewater FNC's Liam Jacques - the foundations were set for career on the oval.

"I've always had a footy in my hand since I was born," Kodi Jacques said.
"But when I was growing up I really didn't know about all the pathways to women's football.

"I played netball for the Heathcote Saints for nine years but one day I attended a talent identification day for football.
"I asked my mum if I could switch over to football, my parents always knew I had a natural talent for it."
And the rest is history, after learning the craft as a player with the Bendigo Thunder and Pioneers, before too long the opportunity to play with the Richmond Tigers in the VFLW emerged.

Jacques is currently in her debut season with the Tigers and is enjoying every single moment of it.
"The first few practice matches and games were a little daunting playing against some AFLW players, but now I'm finding my feet and putting together some really strong game performances," Jacques said.
Jacques was named in the VFLW's Team of the Week for her top performance during the Tigers' round five 22-point victory over Geelong, final scores 8.7 (55) over 5.3 (33).
Jacques booted two goals in the game and was also named among the team's best on ground .
"During that match it was my first game with Richmond in the forward line. I was tucked down there and managed to get on the end of a few good goals," Jacques said.

She feels most comfortable playing across the mid-field but declares she is able to play a variety of positions.
"As long as I'm on the ground, I'm happy to play wherever," Jacques said.
Jacques' dedication to the sport involves frequent trips up and down the Calder Highway several times per week to attend training sessions with the Tigers.
Jacques will have the opportunity to play with the Tigers this Sunday against the Casey Demons on Bendigo's Queen Elizabeth Oval for round eight of the VFLW season, game starts at 1pm.
"Hopefully we will get a few people down for the game," Jacques said.
"All my family and friends will be down to watch. It's always good to get back to where you are from to give back to the community."

The Tigers currently sit second on the VFLW ladder with an undefeated 5-0 record and will head into this weekend's match filled with confidence following a 21-point win over NT Thunder during round six, final scores 7.7 (49) over 3.10 (28).
The Tigers will BE fielding a team in the AFLW next season and if Jacques continues on her current hot-streak, the opportunity to fulfill her dream of playing in the nation's top league is more than possible.

"It would be amazing, its everything I have ever wanted to do," she said.
"Even when the AFLW wasn't around I would always say to Liam that I wanted to be the first girl to play in the league.
"Hopefully I can make the team by continuing with top form and putting in all of the hardwork."
Most sportswomen and men drop names of world superstars as their biggest influence.
However, for Jacques it's a whole lot closer to home - it's older brother Liam.
"He and my family have always been so supportive. He is my biggest influence and I've wanted to copy and do whatever he does," Jacques said.
"I always remember watching him play footy when I was younger and thinking, one day I would love to have a crack at that."

Stan Judkins

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 727743
richmondfc.com.au
Aug 16, 2019 1:43PM

Silky, young midfielder Kodi Jacques is now an AFLW footballer, after being added to Richmond’s inaugural list this week.

The 18-year-old has been a consistent performer for the VFLW Tigers this season, averaging 10 disposals and five tackles across 11 games.

After putting in the hard yards over her first year in the Yellow and Black, Jacques said it felt “absolutely amazing” to have turned her dream into a reality.

“(Playing football) is all I ever wanted to do…as a young kid, I was two years old and had a footy in my hand,” Jacques said.

“I’ve been working pretty hard these last couple of years since (AFLW) become a factor.”

When Jacques first decided to give competitive football a go, it was obvious the teenager had a knack for the sport.

So much so, that she skipped local level entirely and started straight in the TAC Cup with the Bendigo Pioneers before joining local side Bendigo Thunder.

“I kind of did it the opposite way around but it all worked out in the end,” the Vic Country representative said.

“My parents always said when I was younger that I always had the natural ability to play football.”

The Bendigo local’s Tigerland journey began late last year when she attended a Richmond Women’s Come and Try Day in Shepparton.

The talent day proved a fruitful exercise for the Tigers’ recruiters with Jacques’ close friend from Bendigo, Grace Campbell, who she brought along to the session, also now on the inaugural Richmond AFLW list.

“Bendigo is an amazing community and they always get around us when something big like this happens…I can’t wait to play (AFLW) with Grace,” Jacques said.

Jacques, a former netballer, considers her kicking and defensive pressure the top traits she’ll bring to Richmond’s inaugural AFLW side.

She was surrounded by her Tiger teammates at a VFLW training session when she learnt of her selection, a moment she will forever cherish.

“It was absolutely amazing to have all the girls around me for that moment,” Jacques said.

“They mean the world to me, I absolutely love this Club and I love the girls as well.”

Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan, said Jacques had worked extremely hard to get to the point of being offered an AFLW contract.

“Kodi has matured immensely since she first joined our program last year, she has a lot of natural ability, but it has been her willingness to work that has helped her thrive,” Sheahan said.

“She has dedicated herself to being a committed, dependable team player. Everyone’s journey to the big league takes a different path and Kodi’s has been a rewarding one.

“We can’t wait to watch her continue to develop as she enters into a semi-professional regime, it’s a very exciting time for her and everyone at our Club.”

Jacques is the seventh and final Open Age VFLW elevation for the Tigers, with the remaining 14 spots on the list to be made up of NAB AFLW Draft and Rookie selections.

Height: 165cm
D.O.B.: 27-Sep-00
Nickname: Kodes, Jacquesy
Current local club: Bendigo Thunder
Club supported growing up: Collingwood
Greatest inspiration: My family, they always support me and want the best for me. I would not be where I am without them.
Favourite type of kick: Snap
Favourite pump up song to listen to before a match: Savage by Whethan
Which AFL/AFLW player do you model your game on and why: I love how composed Scott Pendelbury is with ball in hand
Favourite teammate and why: Grace Campbell and Monique Conti, they love to have a laugh but are also both very professional and hard working and push me to be better.
Great write up TigermanM2, great selection by the tigers
Her and Grace Campbell came to the same talent day at Bendigo and are good friends and team mates from Bendigo Thunder
Like very much her and Grace's attack on the footy and a bonus they both chose to come to the talent day at the same time
2 from 2 is a fantastic result for these two ladies and our AFLW squad
Kodi was another I thought would surely be upgraded before the draft came around
Kodi was selected in the TAC Cup team of the year in her U18 Bendigo pioneers TAC year
Glad for her as she seems to be very much loved by the playing group as showed by their reaction on the video of her announcement
So she is the last upgrade selection, all others will be done thru the draft
GO TIGERETTES

TigermanM2

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Great write up TigermanM2, great selection by the tigers
Her and Grace Campbell came to the same talent day at Bendigo and are good friends and team mates from Bendigo Thunder
Like very much her and Grace's attack on the footy and a bonus they both chose to come to the talent day at the same time
2 from 2 is a fantastic result for these two ladies and our AFLW squad
Kodi was another I thought would surely be upgraded before the draft came around
Kodi was selected in the TAC Cup team of the year in her U18 Bendigo pioneers TAC year
Glad for her as she seems to be very much loved by the playing group as showed by their reaction on the video of her announcement
So she is the last upgrade selection, all others will be done thru the draft
GO TIGERETTES
I can't claim the content, just posted what was available on the website as (not sure if it was Genevieve Thorpe's doing) its very good.
I'm thrilled for Kodi. She just goes about her stuff with minimal fuss.

There are still a couple of rookie spots available. I'd expect us to name them before the draft.

Feel for players like Evelyn Burry who did her ACL back in R6 and who was a real chance for a spot as a key back.

Last edited:

Top Bottom