Welcome to Tigerland Pick 38, Charley Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond

Charley Ryan becomes an AFLW Tiger
Richmond has selected midfielder Charley Ryan with pick No. 38 in Wednesday night's NAB AFLW Draft.
FWaiQDxUcAA_x3P.png
Richmond has selected Dandenong Stingrays midfielder Charley Ryan with pick No. 38 in Wednesday night's NAB AFLW Draft.
Ryan, Richmond's first selection in the draft, was touted as a potential top 10 draft pick prior to the Under 18 Championships in March 2022.
Playing as an inside midfielder who can also play on the wing and go forward, she put together an impressive start to the season for the Stingrays, showcasing her match-winning ability.
She was dominant in the Stingray's Round 2 victory over Gippsland Power, booting five majors and collecting 26 disposals.
Known for her strong work ethic, Stingrays coach Nick Cox lauded Ryan as "the most coachable player I have ever coached - boys or girls".
Unfortunately, Ryan tore her ACL in the U18 Championship game against Vic Metro.
Richmond AFLW Recruiting Manager Trent Moseby said the Tigers saw huge upside in Ryan.
"Standing at 173cm, Charley is athletic and powerful with a strong overhead mark and clean hands," Moseby said.
"She is a versatile player who can play numerous roles across the ground, and we look forward to developing her at Richmond.
"Charley is on track with her rehabilitation, but will be placed on our inactive list for the upcoming AFLW season to allow her to recover completely from her ACL injury ahead of the 2023 AFLW season."

Charley Ryan profile
Date of birth: 02/09/2004
Height: 173cm
Position: Wing/inside midfielder

Screenshot 2022-06-30 011345.png

Ryan relishes “awesome” representative experience​

DS-Charley-Ryan.jpg
DANDENONG midfielder Charley Ryan is one of six Stingrays included in this year’s Vic Country talent hub, and a taste of representative action in 2021 has proven to be a terrific learning tool.
The 17-year-old impressed across her eight NAB League Girls outings as a bottom-ager last year, averaging 11.3 disposals and 3.8 tackles after making her league debut in 2020. It was enough to earn an Under 17 Vic Country nod, and eventual hub selection this year – both “awesome” experiences for the promising prospect.
“(Representative football) is definitely different to NAB League level but it was a good experience to play with some different girls that we usually play against,” Ryan said.
“It’s been awesome with the camp and everything this year, getting to know the girls… (like) Keeley Skepper from Murray and Octavia Di Donato from Bendigo.”
Having cut her teeth on the wing for large parts of 2021, Ryan is now looking forward to mixing up her role as season 2022 rolls on. While her greatest strengths are seen on the outer, the balanced midfielder is working on gaining “confidence” and “fundamental” skills to aide her transition to the inside.
“I’ll be thrown around a bit,” Ryan said. “But mostly playing wing probably and also forward with a crack in the middle as well.
“I think my run-and-carry (is a strength). “Taking the ball out wide and using my legs, and just reading the play as well.”
Dandenong, which boasts one of the more stacked NAB League squads this year, started its latest campaign with an impressive 49-point win over Geelong Falcons on the road. As the Stingrays’ season rolls on towards a clash with Gippsland in Round 2, Ryan said she is looking for consistency along her top-age journey.
“My goal is just having a consistent season, hopefully getting drafted as well is the main (one),” she said. “Also, getting along with the team and the team playing well too.”
The Stingrays’ next bout is set to go down at 12:00pm on Saturday afternoon, with Ryan among those out to impress after her 15-disposal effort in Round 1.

2022 AFLW Draft: Others to Watch – Victoria​

Charley Ryan (Dandenong Stingrays)
Unfortunately an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury put an end to the talented Stingrays and Vic Country player’s year after a promising start in the AFLW Under 18 Championships clash against Vic Metro.
A first round prospect on talent, it will be interesting to see if a club is happy to put the talented teen on ice for Season 7 and have a genuine jet enter the program fully for 2023.
Clean, classy and skilful, Ryan is the best player across the country not to receive an AFLW Draft Combine invite, only due to said injury.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back