List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Alex Witherden.

Remove this Banner Ad

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Witherdan to the midfield.

Could see Duggan and Witherdan pushing up onto the wings/midfield with their drive and kicking

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I'll be really annoyed if Duggan is still played mainly as a defender.

We've played some exceptionally mediocre football for the last 2 years and it's pretty clear we need to revitalise the side. For me, this involves Duggan playing in the middle full time, phasing out Hurn/Redden and even Kennedy throughout the year, stopping with the Allen ruckwork and bringing in Williams a lot more. Shuey to play a lot more outside, kicking a lot more goals than the pitiful 1 he contributed in 2020.

inb4 Duggan lines up on the HBF Round 1...
I reckon Duggan, just about to turn 24 and 6 seasons in the competition under his belt (with quite comfortably his best coming in 2020), is cherry ripe for some solid midfield minutes from next season. With Shuey, Kelly and Yeo claiming the first three midfield spots, it would give Dug's the chance to grow into a midfield role without being thrown to the wolves, whilst long term he easily has enough tools to become a first choice rotation in the ensuing years.

The acquisition of Withers on the cheap makes that move significantly easier and more likely.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I reckon Duggan, just about to turn 24 and 6 seasons in the competition under his belt (with quite comfortably his best coming in 2020), is cherry ripe for some solid midfield minutes from next season. With Shuey, Kelly and Yeo claiming the first three midfield spots, it would give Dug's the chance to grow into a midfield role without being thrown to the wolves, whilst long term he easily has enough tools to become a first choice rotation in the ensuing years.

The acquisition of Withers on the cheap makes that move significantly easier and more likely.
wonder if we would more use him on the wing with yeo back (if yeo isnt ruined)

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Hey guys.

Witho may be a new guy at your club but he won't be looking far for familiarity.

1605879889922.png

Is that waterman on the far right?
Yes and I believe thats also Josh Rotham in the back row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Yes and I believe thats also Josh Rotham in the back row.
Nah that's Brander.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn't know he broke his leg in his draft year and didn't play in the U18 Championships.

If he didn't break his leg could have gone a lot higher - In the AFL phantom draft was in the Top 20 at Pick 17. Was already touted as one of the best kicks in the 2016 draft pool

"
ALEX WITHERDEN
10/9/98, 188cm, 79kg
Geelong Falcons

Witherden is one of the best kicks in the draft – a player who can draw his teammates to a place on the ground by kicking to space. He was due to move from half-back into the midfield
this year before breaking his leg in May, which halted those plans. But he's recovered well and is almost ready to get back into full training now. Witherden's poise is his standout quality and is something that may appeal to the Lions to bring into their club and let set up the play from the back half. "

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Name: Alex Witherden
Position: Half-back
DOB: 10-09-1998
Height: 189cm
Weight: 79kg
Draft range: 20-35

Pub Summary
Attacking half-back, with silky skills and can match up well on different sized opponents.

Strengths

• Foot skills
  • Composure
Weaknesses

• Pace
  • Lack of footy in 2016, due to season ending broken leg
Overall

Witherden did not have an opportunity to showcase his talents to recruiters much in 2016, suffering a season ending broken leg in May.

He has recently returned to running after successful surgery.

In 2015 and when on the park this season, Witherden has shown elite kicking skills and can pinpoint a pass out of defence to set up attacking options for his team.

He averaged 18 disposals and seven contested possessions in 12 games for the Geelong Falcons in the TAC Cup last year.

He had been earmarked as a midfielder this year, before breaking his leg and may venture there at AFL level after a few years in the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back