List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Bailey Williams (Pick 35)

Remove this Banner Ad

He does not move like a ruckman. Moves like a mid in the contest. Maybe even better than Brander.

Thats my boy Bailey J. Williams.

Was rapt when we picked him up , our best pick in that draft.

Gather round Pilgrims the Bailey Williams train is about to announce itself.

He has already passed Vardy and he will be putting serious heat on the Hickster come selection time, the week before, we we head Fu(k Melbourne, again in the season opener.

We do excel at drafting tall's at all points in the draft. :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

If we could just be as good at picking mids as we are tall ............ there would be no stopping us, but sadly O'Brien and his band of merry men wouldn't know a good midfield prospect even if it bit them on the arse.

Our Clubs inability to draft good midfield prospects has been a s**t stain on our recruiting department for several years now.
For a Club that strives for excellence in all we do, we have managed to deliver mediocrity, with abundant regularity when we draft midfielder.
Consequently we then have to fork out massive draft pick capital to trade in players to address this drafting blindspot.

I still am haunted at night with visions on Rawlings mouthing Worpel and R O'B shaking his head and then picking Ainsworth.
Anyone who had seriously watched the two previous years TAC and Colts and the Championships was gobsmacked by O'Brien's decision.

Back to all things positive ........... Bailey J. Williams he is my boy.

If we could just be as good at picking mids as we are tall ............ there would be no stopping us, but sadly O'Brien and his band of merry men wouldn't know a good midfield prospect even if it bit them on the arse.

Our Clubs inability to draft good midfield prospects has been a s**t stain on our recruiting department for several years now.
For a Club that strives for excellence in all we do, we have managed to deliver mediocrity, with abundant regularity when we draft midfielder.
Consequently we then have to fork out massive draft pick capital to trade in players to address this drafting blindspot.

I still am haunted at night with visions on Rawlings mouthing Worpel and R O'B shaking his head and then picking Ainsworth.
Anyone who had seriously watched the two previous years TAC and Colts and the Championships was gobsmacked by O'Brien's decision.

The problem with our mid recruiting is for every 1 Shuey/Gaff we've got 5 Ainsworth/Karpany/Patrington/Mutimer/Lambs

Picking a decent mid between 25-40 is our kryptonite. These guys are paid great money to get this right, and they consistently F it up!!!

The problem with our mid recruiting is for every 1 Shuey/Gaff we've got 5 Ainsworth/Karpany/Patrington/Mutimer/Lambs

Picking a decent mid between 25-40 is our kryptonite. These guys are paid great money to get this right, and they consistently F it up!!!
Most teams must have the same problem if we possess one of the best midfields going around

It definitely is an issue (the not being able to pick mids - mid draft). It's not like we even manage serviceable mids that have a 50 to 100 game career or more and simply do a job. They are complete busts that end up out of the AFL . We have been lucky that we nailed our earlyish mid picks in Shuey, Gaff (many years ago) and Sheed and they have been durable and then traded well for Yeo, Redden and Kelly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We traded for Kelly, Yeo and Redden. Drafted Shuey in 2008, Gaff in 2010 and Sheed in 2013. So really it's been 6 years since we drafted anybody who's played any significant time in the midfield.
Gaff was also effectively a number one pick as we spooned it that year.

We traded for Kelly, Yeo and Redden. Drafted Shuey in 2008, Gaff in 2010 and Sheed in 2013. So really it's been 6 years since we drafted anybody who's played any significant time in the midfield.
Check out all the other teams and their success in this period. I just did.
Most of the good midfielders went to the lower rate teams with good draft picks. The higher rated teams did what we did and traded in good midfielders.
Collingwood, Richmond,Essendon ,Hawthorn, Brisbane ,Geelong andNorth all traded in quality. The lower based teams who drafted well we Freo, Melbourne, Carlton,Brisbane curtesy of top picks.
GWS continued their rotation of top picks by doing what they do, drafting in trading out.
The Bullies who seem to be the most successful at drafting mids did well but as you will note are on the opposite end of the spectrum to WC who were brilliant at drafting talls. As we can see the lack of talls has been the Bulldogs weakness for years.
And how can we forget the years of the comprised drafts where top eight teams couldn’t get within a bulls roar of a top pick.
I think we have built a great list in the past six years and have addressed its weaknesses the best we can.
Remember at the end of the day we have put together a great midfield no matter how it was done. Every team had their own methods, the Hawks do deals, Collingwood scavenges at GWS like Essendon and Freo trade out good players and trade in duds.
WCE have one of the best overall lists in the comp and that doesn’t happen by accident.

Last edited:
Check out all the other teams and their success in this period. I just did.
Most of the good midfielders went to the lower rate teams with good draft picks. The higher rated teams did what we did and traded in good midfielders.
Collingwood, Richmond,Essendon ,Hawthorn, Brisbane ,Geelong andNorth all traded in quality. The lower based teams who drafted well we Freo, Melbourne, Carlton,Brisbane curtesy of top picks.
GWS continued their rotation of top picks by doing what they do, drafting in trading out.
The Bullies who seem to be the most successful at drafting mids did well but as you will note are on the opposite end of the spectrum to WC who were brilliant at drafting talls. As we can see the lack of talls has been the Bulldogs weakness for years.
And how can we forget the years of the comprised drafts where to eight teams couldn’t get within a bulls roar I’d a top pick.
I think we have built a great list in the past six years and have addressed its weaknesses the best we can.
Remember at the end of the day we have put together a great midfield no matter how it was done. Every team had their own methods, the Hawks do deals, Collingwood scavenges at GWS like Essendon and Freo trade out good players and trade in duds.
WCE have one of the best overall lists in the comp and that doesn’t happen by accident.
Fair bump, you're not wrong. Just obvious mistakes like Ainsworth over guys like Worpel or even Constable are annoying when it seemed so apparent even from the outside. Plus ignoring Kelly for a rookie spot and picking up obvious duds like Gorter instead, and then missing out on guys like Marlion Pickett who would've been a free swing. You're right we can't complain too much because we have a great list, but it realistically could be better with a few minor changes.

Fair bump, you're not wrong. Just obvious mistakes like Ainsworth over guys like Worpel or even Constable are annoying when it seemed so apparent even from the outside. Plus ignoring Kelly for a rookie spot and picking up obvious duds like Gorter instead, and then missing out on guys like Marlion Pickett who would've been a free swing. You're right we can't complain too much because we have a great list, but it realistically could be better with a few minor changes.
All clubs could realistically have a better list if they made better choices though.

I agree they could've/should've done better, but the babies still crying about Worpel and Ainsworth are getting cringy now.

We're the best in the league at identifying and procuring tall talent. Change my mind.
I would we say we are the most likely to take tall talent in the draft and are possibly the best at developing it. Without looking at the stats I would reckon we’d be the club who drafts more talls and trades them in the least. Not sure we identify it any better than other sides but we are more likely to commit. Reckon other sides wait for other clubs to draft them and then trade for them once they have been developed

All clubs could realistically have a better list if they made better choices though.

I agree they could've/should've done better, but the babies still crying about Worpel and Ainsworth are getting cringy now.

What's really cringy is that we have just this trade period, handed over two first and two second round picks for a midfielder that we could've/should've picked up as a rookie a few years ago.

First part of solving a problem is admitting you have one......... we cant draft mids beyond the first round of the draft for s**t.

download-17.jpg

Last edited:
What's really cringy is that we have just this trade period, handed over two first and two second round picks for a midfielder that we could've/should've picked up as a rookie a few years ago.

First part of solving a problem is admitting you have one......... we cant draft mids beyond the first round of the draft for s**t.

View attachment 831072
I said I agree we could've done things better bud. Maybe you should start a thread where you can talk about hypotheticals and alternate realities endlessly, this is a thread about Williams after all.

I said I agree we could've done things better bud. Maybe you should start a thread where you can talk about hypotheticals and alternate realities endlessly, this is a thread about Williams after all.

Whilst I agree about some of his sentiment, he does keep going on about it. Don’t forget he also got upset we didn’t draft shitboxes like blakeley and banfield. So you know, don’t hear about that.

Everyone is an expert in hindsight. However I do agree we could do a better job and it’s not clear if young mids we have will make it. It is last change for recruitment team and if this doesn’t work out, then I will be all on board Monocle. Usually am (good work M).

Or is issue development of mids?

Go Williams.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back