List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast : Connor West

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok guys. Watching this Blues x Dogs game tonight and had a bit of a think. You see Libba, elite inside mid with a great contested game (more often than not). He's a pretty similar size to Connor West, although West is younger too so there's more scope for improvement there you'd think.

I see a lot of jabs at West about his size, and I'm not so sure I'd agree with them. So my questios are..what do you think about West, and do you think he fits into our 22 for the next flag tilt? What's his ceiling? Do you think Patrick Cripps like size is the most important attribute for an inside mid and, who are some good, smaller bodied inside mids from the AFL era that you can recall? slighter of frame, not necessarily just short arses

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok guys. Watching this Blues x Dogs game tonight and had a bit of a think. You see Libba, elite inside mid with a great contested game (more often than not). He's a pretty similar size to Connor West, although West is younger too so there's more scope for improvement there you'd think.

I see a lot of jabs at West about his size, and I'm not so sure I'd agree with them. So my questios are..what do you think about West, and do you think he fits into our 22 for the next flag tilt? What's his ceiling? Do you think Patrick Cripps like size is the most important attribute for an inside mid and, who are some good, smaller bodied inside mids from the AFL era that you can recall? slighter of frame, not necessarily just short arses

Kerry was exhibit A in the "size of the fight in the dog..." argument. You just have to expect the smaller build players with the right attitude are liable to have a relatively short shelf life vs the guys who are built like the proverbial brick outhouse.

His sheer attack on the contest and his ability to get to the next contest is fantastic.His finishing can [but not always] be a bit rough.We sometimes lack that ferocity around the contest.Yo gives it in bursts but not continuously like West.Remember hes only done one full AFL preseason. Priddis on steriods! Should be best 22.

Jones had 5 tackles on the weekend, the next best was 3. Gold Coast had half a dozen players with a minimum of 5.

Hes going to be one of the first picked when Nics not there to make up for it.

If he can stay healthy(which seems to be a big ask these days) he'll be very important. Especially considering our midfield age profile and our inability to develop or even draft decent mids

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

His sheer attack on the contest and his ability to get to the next contest is fantastic.His finishing can [but not always] be a bit rough.We sometimes lack that ferocity around the contest.Yo gives it in bursts but not continuously like West.Remember hes only done one full AFL preseason. Priddis on steriods! Should be best 22.
Tend to agree with you all here, size matters but its not the be all and end all when it comes to his preferred position. Endeavour and attack on the footy is key, he's clearly got that. Granted his disposal and composure could use some work but I'm confident he'll get there and become an important cog in the 22. I like the cut of his jib.

Size can be overrated at times. There's plenty of great small mids in the comp atm. Tho West isn't nuggety mould of a shuey, Neale, selwood or prestia but I think it's cause we (sigh) want him to play a balanced role

Size can be overrated at times. There's plenty of great small mids in the comp atm. Tho West isn't nuggety mould of a shuey, Neale, selwood or prestia but I think it's cause we (sigh) want him to play a balanced role
Sincerely hope not. You'd think we were pretty well covered for balanced mids..XON (if he can show a bit more this year), I see Edwards as balanced, Chesser too...Hough if he makes it away from half back..ditto Foley...Clark is a stop-gap player...Petrevski-Seton is supposed to be pure inside but he's got some silky and valuable skills on the outside too. Trew is dead. Joyce remains to be seen. Jamaine Jones is a small forward who can rotate through the midfield, although I think (like i've seen mentioned here recently) there is scope for him to become that nuggety, goal kicking mid to replace Shuey. Who are our developing pure inside mids?

Our drafting team have some work to do in that department, that's for sure.

Reminds me of Hutchings, great attack on the ball but dodgy disposal. I doubt West gets any better than fringe 22/role player (eg tagger).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not like he's had 4 or 5 afl preseasons to build up his body anyway.

His skills are possibly below WAFL standard but his work through traffic today was elite. If the other mids can get on their bikes around him (big if) he could be a very valuable distributor from around stoppages.
Went at 72% efficiency, which isnt bad for an inside mid

Went at 72% efficiency, which isnt bad for an inside mid

Efficiency is a misleading stat

A long kick is regarded as an efficient kick even if it misses a target

His skills are possibly below WAFL standard but his work through traffic today was elite. If the other mids can get on their bikes around him (big if) he could be a very valuable distributor from around stoppages.

I agree. Given he is pretty new to the level we can hope he improves his composure. Hopefully down the track we have some half decent runners he can handball off to rather than needing to bomb it long blindly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back