List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Daniel Venables

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not surprised that DV has gone to the States for treatment and care.

I am a long time ( over 30 years ) avid follower of NFL and consequently the evolution of the concussion protocols and research that they have done - over at least a decade and a half, which os light years ahead of the AFL.

The NFL have adapted and amended their rules many times over the years and have taken the matter seriously for a much longer period of time.

Linked with the head injury / brain trauma cumulative damage by playing NFL, has shown a correlation between severe brain trauma from the hits in the NFL and it’s impact on the early onset of dementia, mental health issues and premature deaths both “ natural “ and by suicide.

The NFL Players Association have been onto to this for a decade or so.

There is even a number of former players who have donated their brains to scientific/ medical research to help advance the understanding of the issue.

The AFL *ed around with the issue for too long before they took some appropriate action to address the problem more comprehensively.

There will be IMO court action at some point in time from the AFLPA, as the data from research around the world paints a particularly bleak picture for those who have been affected by the brain trauma.

The AFL have always been sleazy bastards and any opportunity to deflect / assign blame on the the richest most Financial Club in the competition would be their modus operandi.

Passing the buck, particularly with severs financial implications and ramifications would be spooking the s**t out of all at AFL House.

Gill is hightailing it out at a good time, because the likelihood that a tidal wave of claims / litigation and probable compensation is about to descend down on the AFL, is a real and possible threat.

Nothing gets the sphincter valves twitching at AFL House faster and more rapidly than the prospect of some possible financially punitive damages about to arrive in their post code.

Agree with all of this.

We've seen former footy players take their own lives and I have no doubt it's related to the blows copped on the football field.

A day of reckoning is coming, and it's not going to be pretty for the AFL.

I don't understand how all major codes are wary of the concussion issues, yet ufc grows in popularity

Ufc fighters would sign a waiver yeh? Could the afl not introduce something similar?

I don't understand how all major codes are wary of the concussion issues, yet ufc grows in popularity

Ufc fighters would sign a waiver yeh? Could the afl not introduce something similar?

With MMA, Boxing and the like you have to be signed off by a medical board to be able to fight and particularly if knocked out or similar there is a minimum time between fights.

I'm sure there would have to be some form of waiver within the UFC's contracts however I haven't read through a recent UFC contract.

It would be no different to dojos that teach MMA, karate etc. You sign a waiver so they aren't liable if you get hurt because obviously with combat you are going to be hurt regularly.

I'd argue boxing is worse than UFC? At least in the UFC when someone is knocked out the fight is over. Boxing they give you 10 seconds for the fog to clear and continuing getting belted in the head...

I have all the sympathy in the world for Dan and others suffering from the effects of concussion and there is no doubt past practices were poor and current practices could be improved. But I can't help feeling that everyone playing today (and even in my day, and I am old) knew there were risks with playing contact sport and chose to do so anyway. It's an unfortunate risk of our game which we all chose to take on when we played and now at least everyone knows the risks more fully and people still choose to play the game and to take the risks for money.

I have no issue with suing if the AFL's concussion "expert" provided terrible medical advice and was dodgy etc or if clubs were completely negligent in their treatment or encouraged players to play through concussion, but do have a problem with the general assumption that the AFL is responsible for all concussions that occur in the AFL. Players know the risks and the AFL has been taking action (albeit somewhat late maybe) to stamp out head high contact but some is an inevitable risk of the game. What there should be is better medical and care for players post career, particularly those who didn't earn millions from the game and only had short careers. I really hope we don't go down the free for all litigation path other than in cases of clear negligence (which potentially Dan's case may be - I have no idea on that).

Seems like this is going to a lot further. Wonder who actually makes the decision on when to seek further treatment outside the club for an injured player
The AFL concussion guy, apparently.

That's why they want to heap it onto WCE and not themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like this is going to go a lot further. Wonder who actually makes the decision on when to seek further treatment outside the club for an injured player
You'd think the AFL concussion expert would be at least heavily involved. This doesn't reflect well on the club at all, but it's a lot more damning on the AFL, I hope DV and anyone else this McCrory guy 'treated' absolutely take the league for everything they deserve and then some

You'd think the AFL concussion expert would be at least heavily involved. This doesn't reflect well on the club at all, but it's a lot more damning on the AFL, I hope DV and anyone else this McCrory guy 'treated' absolutely take the league for everything they deserve and then some
Kade Kolodjashnij isn't very complimentary about him

Sure is!

Earlier articles mentioned Venners met with him and followed the advice, or soemthing along those lines.
There's almost certainly a lawsuit coming.
And really you can't blame these young guys if they've received substandard treatment and it's significantly impacted their quality of life. The more you read the more it seems like they just sort of got fobbed off a fair bit

I can’t expect the club was overruling the league’s concussion expert, so gut feel would be a lot of this would land at his doorstep.

However if it’s him or the club, or both, I hope they are forced to shell out a colossal payment the likes of which the Australian sporting world has never seen.

****ed up the bloke’s life. Awful. Hope he gets compensated and can get himself back on his feet.

Yeah I read that one, this one is a good article as well

The clubs culpability rests on when (or if) they sought outside assistance beyond their own medical staff, in particular the AFL’s concussion expert.

There should also be a degree of scepticism over the US experts claim that had he seen Venables sooner he could have done a better job. Easy claim to make but much harder to prove, or disprove - something that should be borne in mind in the context of a pending multi million dollar lawsuit

Provided the club sought every reasonable avenue possible at the time and didn’t deny any particular course of action this will land at the AFL’s doorstep and not ours

As for Venables, I sincerely hope that he gets as close as possible to a return to a normal life as soon as possible. And that he gets every bit of financial compensation due to him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back