List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Francis Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched his highlights video and he seems a great prospect. Skilled, good decision making, runs excellent angles.

How'd he slip this far down the draft order? Anyone know why he didn't get drafted via main or rookie drafts?
He definitely nominated for 2014 draft, pretty sure he nominated last year also. There was a broken leg in there somewhere (think it was this year??). He has only been playing team Footy since he was 17. Not sure whether that had some impact on how clubs perceived him. Also, quite a bit of interruptions to his journey for personal reasons saw him moving around a bit. Perhaps that put clubs off.

Pretty sure it was Monocle said his contested game lacked a bit and needed some work too.

But it does seem very odd that there was zero chatter about him even as a late pick in any of the last three drafts.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I had a dream the night before last I was playing a game of footy against a team with Dermott Breretton (we aren't that far off in age) and I ran past before the game started and snotted him...

I had a dream once that I played for the eagles. I knew I was ducking sh!t but somehow managed to con my way to a long career.

I woke up from that dream. Marsten lives it every day.

Looks a beauty by foot, takes a decent mark too with some explosive pace and nous to avoid defensive pressure.

Hopefully his injuries are behind him and his fitness meets AFL standard because he'd be great to watch in the wings.

Well-spoken too. I've got fond memories of that accent from when I worked up in the Kimberley.

Chances are there were significant concerns over his ability to commit, to move interstate, to a big city etc.
He mentioned in his presser that Eagles asked him and said we would like to commit to him, and he said he would also like to commit to them.

I had a dream once that I played for the eagles. I knew I was ducking sh!t but somehow managed to con my way to a long career.

I woke up from that dream. Marsten lives it every day.

did lol hard

Just seems like such a genuinely nice guy. Hope he makes it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing skills. Kicking is a joy to watch.
Funny how he compares himself to Gov - both have good footskills and he seems to be a good mark though perhaps not as good a contested mark as Gov. Not many are though.

I dont think he will see games til 2018.
Purely due to the fact that his preferred position is as a tall backman / 3rd tall - we have surplus players that can do that role.

where do you see him slotting in Keys?

Amazing skills. Kicking is a joy to watch.
Funny how he compares himself to Gov - both have good footskills and he seems to be a good mark though perhaps not as good a contested mark as Gov. Not many are though.

I dont think he will see games til 2018.
Purely due to the fact that his preferred position is as a tall backman / 3rd tall - we have surplus players that can do that role.

where do you see him slotting in Keys?
Half back

It's a position we have a fair bit of depth in with hurn, Shep, wellers, butler, nelson, Cole and brophy already on the list with Rotham, Gorter and Watson now added to the group so it'll be tough to crack into.

But we saw Cole get his chance last year when there was an opening and his WAFL form warranted selection so no reason why Watson could get given an opportunity if he's performing well with East Perth

Having to be elevated off the rookie list may be problematic though

Half back

It's a position we have a fair bit of depth in with hurn, Shep, wellers, butler, nelson, Cole and brophy already on the list with Rotham, Gorter and Watson now added to the group so it'll be tough to crack into.

But we saw Cole get his chance last year when there was an opening and his WAFL form warranted selection so no reason why Watson could get given an opportunity if he's performing well with East Perth

You'd think this would have to be the go but he has a fair few in front of him doesn't he?

Another spot is perhaps as a wingman? Has speed, evasiveness, not a bad mark (which we do lack through that area of the ground) and could deliver nicely going forward. Only issue might be his apparent lack of a reasonable contested side. Still, he'd have a few in front of him there too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Half back

Two possible LTI's and a list spot should be a big enough carrot for the rookies this year

No one is infront of him as the season is anew and everyone is on the starting line in the same position.

All any player has to do is impress the coaches and execute with skill and understand the game plan as requested to do.

If any player can do this then he automaticly comes into contention.

Could be a lecras replacement imo. Marks is quick elusive and has a few tricks. could have in indigenous duo with rioli and watson replacing hill and lecras

I'm hoping Karps, Rioli, Bayok & Watson get rotated through the FP/HF position throughout the year. Pressure must be put on Hill and Lecras.

I remember going to preseason training and being really impressed with Mascoulis.

Not saying it's the same case here, just that...

I don't know.

Im really exited by Watson, I'm just holding off a bit until he can put in some good in-game performances come Feb/March.

Hopefully has a much better ending to his story than Mascoulis did :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back