List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

Better a player who can play a few different roles than persisting with a player who can’t play any.

I said at the beginning of 2021 that we needed to play Brander no matter what and we’d have been no worse off for doing so.

We’re losing an unexamined first round pick for nothing who has substantially more talent than most of our list.

If SPS was good business then this is at best cancelling it out and at worse a massive loss making exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wont be surprised if he ls a late developer but that is in the full knowledge Brander was no great shakes at WAFL level. Good luck to him if he gets picked up.

Think he has the talent in the world snd a year or two grinding it at WAFL/SANFL level might be tge best thing.

Other clubs: "Jarrod, you're 6'5 and want to hold down a key position post, lets get you straight into the gym and stack some muscle on you"

West Coast: "what this weight training gimmick that these other clubs refer to?"

Glad the club has cut its losses. The best list management is making the decision to part early when you know it’s not working out.

Whilst we may have mismanaged him at the start, he’s had two seasons to nail down a spot on the wing/mid and HE floundered it. 3rd forward option isn’t that different to a wing.

Good luck to him.

It's been 20 years since we stuffed a first round draft pick (I'm not including Murray Newman who was technically a first round draft pick at Pick 23), with McDougall in 2000 and Sampi in 2001 (although no one would doubt Sampi's talent).

I doubt any club matches that success rate. Some of the melts are delicious.

I think we drafted a likely third tall (which we had absolutely no need of at either end of the ground), thinking he was a KPP and then finding out he wasn't, so we tried to re-fashion him into something he obviously isn't (a mid). I acknowledge we never really tried to develop him as a KPP player so its hard to judge but his attributes from seeing him play don't scream KPP and by his/his management's own acknowledgment, he is best suited as a third tall. I then think we failed to trade him (albeit he may not have wanted to be traded at that stage), when we realised he wasn't what we needed and was unlikely to make it other than in his preferred position (which we had an abundance of).

So I see it as a drafting miss primarily (i.e. thinking he was a KPP) and potentially a list management issue thereafter.

Just a weird waste of a good pick.
Guess that's what happens when you put "best available at that pick" above "best available for our needs"
Wish him all the best and hope he actually goes on to have an AFL career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When was the last time any first round draft pick from any club was delisted after only 4 years with the club getting nothing for him?
Matthew Ling was delisted by Sydney this year - taken the very next pick after Brander.

Lochie O’Brien was also delisted by Carlton (supposedly they will re rookie him if no one else takes him), he was taken 3 picks before Brander.

Matthew Ling was delisted by Sydney this year - taken the very next pick after Brander.

Lochie O’Brien was also delisted by Carlton (supposedly they will re rookie him if no one else takes him), he was taken 3 picks before Brander.
I feel like GWS, Sydney and Suns are the clubs likely to do it

When looking back at drafts, I like to see who else was taken after our pick in that round. Hindsight distorts drafts, as you have the benefit of seeing who actually make it at AFL. Looking at who was selected at the time reflects what people actually thought then.

There's not many after Brander in the first round that actually did anything. Starcevich and Powell seem like the only two. I don't watch either team often, so can't say if they are actually any good.

-I think body on body he was a very handy mark.It was floating across oncoming traffic he was a bit shaky.
- Very good decision maker.Didnt waste too many kicks and usually took the best option in a team of sideways chipping players.
-For the life of me i cant sere why he couldnt play as the second or third defender which was the role he wanted.
Hurn was a bit nervous early on,Glass was horrible,Jetta was no Rock of Gibralter.Hurn and Shep are nearly done and Brander would have fitted that role.A year or two under their wings and he may well have hit his straps.Ive stated quite a bit that defence was his gig but no!!

-I think body on body he was a very handy mark.It was floating across oncoming traffic he was a bit shaky.
- Very good decision maker.Didnt waste too many kicks and usually took the best option in a team of sideways chipping players.
-For the life of me i cant sere why he couldnt play as the second or third defender which was the role he wanted.
Hurn was a bit nervous early on,Glass was horrible,Jetta was no Rock of Gibralter.Hurn and Shep are nearly done and Brander would have fitted that role.A year or two under their wings and he may well have hit his straps.Ive stated quite a bit that defence was his gig but no!!

I think he wants to land a 3rd tall forward role somewhere.
If nothing eventuates I'd be amazed if we don't re-enlist him and give him another 1-2years. I feel a little bit sorry for brander actually. Shoehorned into a role he didnt want.
Now he finds his career at a crossroads where there is no guarantees he'll even be able to continue on.

I think he wants to land a 3rd tall forward role somewhere.
If nothing eventuates I'd be amazed if we don't re-enlist him and give him another 1-2years. I feel a little bit sorry for brander actually. Shoehorned into a role he didnt want.
Now he finds his career at a crossroads where there is no guarantees he'll even be able to continue on.
I don't think we'll re-list him under any circumstances. If that's on the cards, the club usually holds off on the formal farewell emails. He is 100% gone in my opinion.

Nothing New. Masten at pick 3- had a career but a pretty average player at very best.

Brander, the most polarising topic on this forum

Not really. I don't think anyone will lose sleep over him staying or going would they?

We're all pretty close to the fence one way or the other.

I'm slightly on the side of wanting him to have stayed. But then I can understand letting him go. He's had long enough in the system and from the outside looking in we are not privy to all the small things that add up to making a contract decision such as this.

Nothing new than what's been posted. Good talls are hard to come by so grab them when you can
That's all well and good but if midfielders are so easy to come by, why do we seem to need to trade for them over the past 10 years, sans Shuey and Sheed? We've been using later picks on midfielders but barely any have come one/look like coming on, yet we seem to be able to identify good talls later in drafts.

I hope to god this 'best available' gets put behind us now that the Brander experiment is over. Square pegs into rounds holes and all that.

When looking back at drafts, I like to see who else was taken after our pick in that round. Hindsight distorts drafts, as you have the benefit of seeing who actually make it at AFL. Looking at who was selected at the time reflects what people actually thought then.

There's not many after Brander in the first round that actually did anything. Starcevich and Powell seem like the only two. I don't watch either team often, so can't say if they are actually any good.
wat. Zac Bailey is an absolute gun. 100% what we need. Doesn’t mean we were ever likely to take him, but still.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back