List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

The biggest thing for me is the improved confidence he is showing. He's attempting things, whether it be a physical act or taking a risky kick on, that last year (or even 6 weeks ago) he just wouldn't have attempted. It doesn't always come off, and that's fine, because even the best players mess things up from time to time. But it's the fact he's attempting them that says to me he can become a real X-factor player that opposition coaches have a nightmare dealing with. As someone mentioned, a 195cm wing, who can play KP at either end and pinch hit in the middle is a huge weapon for any team. Taking things on the way he is also says that he now believes he belongs, which is a big step for any young player.

The biggest thing for me is the improved confidence he is showing. He's attempting things, whether it be a physical act or taking a risky kick on, that last year (or even 6 weeks ago) he just wouldn't have attempted. It doesn't always come off, and that's fine, because even the best players mess things up from time to time. But it's the fact he's attempting them that says to me he can become a real X-factor player that opposition coaches have a nightmare dealing with. As someone mentioned, a 195cm wing, who can play KP at either end and pinch hit in the middle is a huge weapon for any team. Taking things on the way he is also says that he now believes he belongs, which is a big step for any young player.

This is spot on. He's doing things, or attempting to do things, that seasoned vets don't try. It isn't just being like Gov and kicking off one step and taking risky options. He's taking aggressive options, but also pushing forward, taking on the opposition, and backing himself physically to win contests, both in the air and in congestion.

I actually hope he doesn't become a kpp and instead continues to be a conduit between the arcs, drifting to where we need him.

We're crying out for young developing midfielders and bizarrely, we look to have one in Brander. So why in God's name would we shift him forward to an area we're absolutely stacked in?

He's making good decisions, moving well in traffic, taking the game on and creating. Tbh, I didn't think he had it in him, but the midfield minutes in the WAFL was a master stroke. Play him as a tall defensive winger, bit of a utility or let him bulk up and see how he goes as a bull who pushes forward in future seasons. The skies the limit.

He's not going to leave because he's playing midfield minutes, he'd be chuffed to be in the guts.

I'm still learning to tell him apart from Josh Rotham.
My wife has the same trouble. It's easy really, he's thicker.
Bit more meat on dem bones. ;)

Damn Boy GIFs | Tenor

We're crying out for young developing midfielders and bizarrely, we look to have one in Brander. So why in God's name would we shift him forward to an area we're absolutely stacked in?

He's making good decisions, moving well in traffic, taking the game on and creating. Tbh, I didn't think he had it in him, but the midfield minutes in the WAFL was a master stroke. Play him as a tall defensive winger, bit of a utility or let him bulk up and see how he goes as a bull who pushes forward in future seasons. The skies the limit.

He's not going to leave because he's playing midfield minutes, he'd be chuffed to be in the guts.
Jesus. No one is suggesting moving him forward full time. But, if having a tall wing that can swing forward or back if needed means that, god forbid we actually get more decent smalls we could play less talls as we’d have him as cover in game.

Jesus. No one is suggesting moving him forward full time. But, if having a tall wing that can swing forward or back if needed means that, god forbid we actually get more decent smalls we could play less talls as we’d have him as cover in game.
Are you saying play more smalls, move brander forward? If so which current tall goes out?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Are you saying play more smalls, move brander forward? If so which current tall goes out?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
No I’m saying when JK retires we replace him with a small and rely on Allen and Darling as the key forwards. If one of them goes down during the game we can move Brander forward to cover. We currently play JK, Allen, darling, waterman, 2x rucks, it’s too much and not needed. Didn’t think that was controversial?

Unpopular opinion but think he'd be a very good third tall and better than Waterman at that role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed Brander's future looks very much as a tall midfielder/wing.

It may end up that he drifts back into the key position role in the future. But what a luxury to have a guy that's 6'4 playing a role suited to guys 3-4 inches shorter than him. If circumstances dictate he needs to play a KP for a period, than he can do that too.

Both his role and career progression is tracking remarkably similar to Andrew Embley.

He is quick. Was keeping up with Petch on a burst play from the wing and will often gain space when being chased. Seems to have a good tank as well.

It may end up that he drifts back into the key position role in the future. But what a luxury to have a guy that's 6'4 playing a role suited to guys 3-4 inches shorter than him. If circumstances dictate he needs to play a KP for a period, than he can do that too.

Both his role and career progression is tracking remarkably similar to Andrew Embley.

he doesn’t seem to have that attacking flair that embers had though

albeit his role appears more as a defensive winger

he doesn’t seem to have that attacking flair that embers had though

albeit his role appears more as a defensive winger

He's building, his appetite to take it on is definitely increasing. Embers definitely had a harder edge than Jarrod has shown so far though.

Stats at age with Embers are pretty comparable bar goal scoring but Embers spent a fair bit of time as a forward pocket in his rotations and there certainly weren't the quality of KPF demanding the footy back then.

1621469996257.png

No I’m saying when JK retires we replace him with a small and rely on Allen and Darling as the key forwards. If one of them goes down during the game we can move Brander forward to cover. We currently play JK, Allen, darling, waterman, 2x rucks, it’s too much and not needed. Didn’t think that was controversial?

Waterman will be the one to replace JK i would have thought.

xxxx Allen Waterman
xxxx JK xxxxxx

My hope is that he builds to a Nick Riewoldt type forward. Presenting all-day, either up the ground straightening up the midfield; ensuring faster F50 entries, or a lead up (and back) forward for a shot.
Due to his obvious tank, the wing apprenticeship looks perfect from both a work rate and education perspective.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back