List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Eagles secured one of the bargains of the draft when it snapped up Bendigo key position player Jarrod Brander after he slipped through to the club’s first selection at No.13.

Brander, who supported West Coast growing up despite growing up in Victoria, can play both forward and back and adds class and depth to West Coast's spine.

He finished the national 18s championships with an eye-catching display at centre half-forward for Vic Country against Vic Metro.

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2017-11-24/eagles-thrilled-with-draft-haul

Welcome Marlon (Brando)!

tenor.gif

Apparently this guy was super disappointing this year. One can only hope that he was tanking because knew the Eagles were going to pick him. Welcome Marlon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said in his interview on the club website that he only really started splitting his time between forward and back this season. Hopefully his slight drop off in output was due to his new role.

Where are these damn midfielders? wasted picks
So the logic is to select the mediocre midfielder in the teens and hope they get better rather than select the high talent tall? We've tried that before in the teens and got Sheed and Duggan. 2 blokes unlikely to get an all Australian jumper. Are they wasted picks then?

I'm happy with this pick. Wasn't what I was hoping for (inside/outside mid potential) but the way the draft panned out all the big good mids went early and it was just Higgins left. I believe we made the right call taking best available and nailing a need (JK replacement). I tell you what though we need to find an Inside/Outside mid next year.

JBrander.jpg
Pick 13 – J.Brander | Bendigo Pioneers / Allies | 195kg | 92kg

The best key forward prospect in the draft. Named Under 18’s All-Australian centre-half forward (despite not playing any matches there – he’s that good he had to go in the team somewhere). Was reckoned as #1 pick this time last year, however inconsistency due to being moved into defence at times this season led him to fall behind other prospects.

Despite playing much of this year down back, he is without doubt a natural forward - as he showed so dominantly against Vic Metro in the U18 championships.

Outside of manufacturing reckless trades at substantial cost, Brander represents the best and only way of gaining a quality, long-term replacement for Kennedy in the coming years.

The midfield may be a priority, but this was an opportunity that was simply too good to refuse.

I am happy with this pick, he actually reminds me a bit of Kennedy when he first came to the club.

Plus he already loves the Eagles.

Welcome to the Eagles Jarrod! :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I will call you J-Rod from now on. :D

Draft Combine Results:
2017-11-25 01_21_34-NAB AFL Draft Combine Player Review_ Jarrod Brander.jpg
Exceptional speed and endurance for a key position player, goalkicking may need some work however.

Here are some write-up opinions pre-draft:

Christopher Doerre (aka Knightmare):
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/21134708/knightmare-october-phantom-draft-first-two-rounds
http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/20952212/knightmare-afl-draft-power-rankings-october-rayner-maintains-ranking-dominance
Talented key position player with the scope to develop at either end. Mobile tall who reads the ball well in flight and is a clean ball user.

Strengths:
Clean at ground level
Agility
Pace
Endurance
Work rate
Marking threat on the lead
Reads drop of the ball early
Contested marking
Intercept marking
Clean field kick
Vision to spot damaging targets up the field
Decision making with ball in hand
Stands up through tackles
Versatility to play key forward or key defence
Weaknesses:
Sometimes drops simple marks
Conversion in front of goal
Struggles down back to contain key forwards
Inconsistent from game to game
Tackling
Tackle pressure
Improvement not as strong as expected given his standard of play in 2016

Gary Buckenara:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-2017-top-50-picks-by-gary-buckenara/news-story/ac71e83c9b107d83fc354745b724a49c
The 194cm Brander is the best true key position player in this draft and has the most potential of the talls. He had a bit of an inconsistent season but he has good hands, can take a nice mark and has a long right-foot kick. But the beauty about Jarrod is he’s capable of influencing the game at either end of the ground, which is a massive tick because it gives your side great flexibility. When drafting and developing key position players it’s always better and easier to settle them into life as an AFL player as a defender and I think that’s the way to go with Brander despite the fact he could then, 2-3 years down the track become a really good key forward once he’s confident and comfortable at the level.
Plays like: Josh Bruce

Keven Sheehan:
http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017-Kevin-Sheehans-Top-40.pdf
Graduate of NAB AFL Academy who is a tall forward/defender and finished the Under-18 Championships with a dominant performance up forward in the Allies win over Vic Metro after excelling down back in game one against Vic Country. Strong overhead, agile and a good ball user. Averaged 15.8 disposals and 5.2 marks across the Under-18 Championships.

U18 Championships:
vs Vic Country (11/06/2017)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-11/u18-potential-no1-pick-leads-vic-country-home

"Half-back Jarrod Brander controlled the air and read the ball well, collecting 20 possessions, a match-high nine rebound 50s and four marks."

vs Vic Metro (05/07/2017)
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-05/u18-top-prospect-brander-leads-allies-to-thrilling-upset

"ALLIES forward Jarrod Brander produced his best performance of the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, playing a commanding role up forward in his side's upset three-point win over Vic Metro at Simonds Stadium on Wednesday.

At 194cm and 89kg, Brander, a possible top-10 draft pick from the Bendigo Pioneers, has a real presence about him and it showed out in the way he attacked the footy in the air against Metro.

Brander constantly hit up at the football, displaying his power and athleticism by taking nine marks and finishing with three goals from 16 touches, including an important one that put his side back in front in the final term.

Brander spent the first two games of the Championships playing as a key defender but can legitimately play at both ends of the ground."

I find it odd to keep reading that people think he's going to be a Kennedy replacement when he's playing in the backline and coming across as an agile 2nd defender rather than a power forward.

McGovern or Barrass look like the JK replacements to me. Brander reminds me of Schofield.

I think JK's got 3-4 seasons left in him at least so it's going to be interesting to see where we end up using Brander and when he's going to get an opportunity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back