List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

WC played him as a forward in Intra club match and he scored 4 goals in the first half when the teams were even. OAllen got a couple of goals in the second half when teams A and B were very uneven and were almost junk time goals. Brander has also kicked accurately in WAFL where he's been playing wing. However although I believe he's a better forward than Ollen it's probably not his best position.

He's a great mark and intercept mark, excellent long kick and very clean picking up ball below his knees and looks to me like a young Scott Pendlebury. It's hard to believe a player of his ability and potential has been managed and given crap games in poor positions and dropped after only one game like he has. He looked totally down on confidence when starting the WAFL game this week although finished showing flashes of what he's capable of.

Maybe the idea of giving him a "job" to do makes sense giving him only a few things to concentrate on doing correctly? An defending position? Intercept defender? Defensive wing?

Ideas? If not and he ends up leaving (contract until end of 21 I think, although I guess contacts aren't concrete now a days) I'd be happy watching him play for someone else that can help him realise his potential.

Once Brander finds his confidence I think he is a forward but versatile so depending on how the Eagles go still likely to get more opportunities this year and you can see him being a regular player at AFL in 2020 if not this year .

Once Brander finds his confidence I think he is a forward but versatile so depending on how the Eagles go still likely to get more opportunities this year and you can see him being a regular player at AFL in 2020 if not this year .
That's why I thought they were playing him there pre season as it looked harder to get a regular position in the backs, but that's changed with injuries, poor form and age.

It may be a better positon for him as well? Not sure as he is so versatile.

That's why I thought they were playing him there pre season as it looked harder to get a regular position in the backs, but that's changed with injuries, poor form and age.

It may be a better positon for him as well? Not sure as he is so versatile.

Just needs a breakout game and he will be a very handy player going forward . I think Oscar Allen might be a defender if needed with Barrass out though .

Still being linked to Geelong as part of Kelly trade in the media despite him being an Eagles supporter. Part of the reason Kelly chose West Coast was because we were doing much better than Freo in recent years, but if Freo finish higher than us this season I can see him jumping ship and setting them as his preference.

I think he'll be a bust. Was seduced by the classy looking stuff, but he's too soft.

Won't be the JK replacement some think he'll be.

The club seems to apply different rules to Allen and Brander, which is disappointing. Hope its just because Allen can ruck.

Allen has shown something at AFL level while Brander has barely been sighted when he's been given the chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes today's Whisper , Kelly still very keen on WCE and Brander to Geelong 2020 ....cannot see this a reality this far out pure speculation and still unlikely I would say .

Brander too big of a talent to give up for a player that we were 2 picks short of getting, especially if he's steak knives in addition to our 1st rounder.
If we don't finish in the top 3, we could be giving up a top 15 pick and a former top 15 pick.
Overpaying way too much for an out of contract player no matter how talented they might be. If Freo pounces, I'd say let them.

Allen has shown something at AFL level while Brander has barely been sighted when he's been given the chance.

Brander has only ever played in games when the entire team never turned up in horrible away losses. I havent checked but I seem to recall Allen playing well in games in which we won easily at home (his away efforts in losses havent been great).

To be clear, I love Allen and not bagging him out. I just feel like Brander is being treated like crap.

Karl Langdon's 'whisper' about Brander in a Kelly swap is just complete rubbish and made to get people talking, then tune into 6pr. Don't take the bait, ..Boris loves his fishing & needs to remain relevant

The club seems to apply different rules to Allen and Brander, which is disappointing. Hope its just because Allen can ruck.
Allen has proven to be competative (may be trying) while Brander wasnt competatice at AFL level. Brander will be an asset in the future I am sure but he hasnt yet develop physically to the extent that he can compete.

Langdon mentioned same in this mornings Sunday Times - Karl did not elaborate whether or not WCE offering or Geelong asking. No doubt Cats would be asking given Hawkins & Taylor etc starting to get on a bit

Geelong asked about him being in the trade last year, we turned them down

Still being linked to Geelong as part of Kelly trade in the media despite him being an Eagles supporter. Part of the reason Kelly chose West Coast was because we were doing much better than Freo in recent years, but if Freo finish higher than us this season I can see him jumping ship and setting them as his preference.
I think Brander is a better prospect than Kelly.

Kelly chops, but Brander looks like he could be a class above and a good future investment. Kelly will be 26 next season, which is OK, but the career expectancy of a midfielder is a short one (cue brent harvey melts).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back