List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would be disappointed to lose him in a Kelly swap, especially since the Cats will probably want more.
They’d want much more. Brander will only be steak knives if we include him in any trade.

That’s the risk with using high picks on KPP I guess. they take a long time to show anything at AFL level, but have zero trade value until they do show something.

Unless they’re a former pick 1 like Boyd of course

Laughing at the trade suggestion. There was a reason we rated Brander above Allen and then Allen above Kelly and the reason still exists. FFS - we are 1 season and 6 games into a KPF career and we need to let him develop.

I recall Mickey Ablett calling Oscar and Jarrod the best KPF and KPD in the draft. I for one would like to see Brander playing defence and thought in the absence of Barrass, it was a great time to give him a stint.

Schofield is looking very ordinary so far this year so I would not see us going backwards in getting games into a star of the future.

If Wells is able to get Brander and something from us for Kelly, then Geelong really do need to erect a monument in Corio Bay.

Brander has only ever played in games when the entire team never turned up in horrible away losses. I havent checked but I seem to recall Allen playing well in games in which we won easily at home (his away efforts in losses havent been great).

To be clear, I love Allen and not bagging him out. I just feel like Brander is being treated like crap.

I can only go on what I've seen. I've seen both at at WAFL and AFL level and they've been streets apart.

Alright.

He’s the biggest untapped resource on the list right now. With Kennedy choosing to play on, there isn’t a clear Best 22 spot for him. He’s going into his 4th year without having kicked a senior goal, a defined role or any real confidence or continuity.

How would you handle Brander going into next year? We can’t let him go another year without seriously impacting some matches.

Alright.

He’s the biggest untapped resource on the list right now. With Kennedy choosing to play on, there isn’t a clear Best 22 spot for him. He’s going into his 4th year without having kicked a senior goal, a defined role or any real confidence or continuity.

How would you handle Brander going into next year? We can’t let him go another year without seriously impacting some matches.
I don’t think Brander needs to seriously impact games in the sense of being one of the best players on the ground. Duggan is barely doing this and he’ll be going into his eighth (?) season, having played over a hundred games. Nelson is going into his eighth season without seriously impacting games. I think Brander, who will be playing games 12 to 20 just needs to play his role and contribute to the team’s performance. Why is he being held to a different standard than Duggan for example? In his eleven games, Brander has already played some where he usefully contributed. I reckon Shane Edwards (Richmond) played nearly 200 games before he was any good.

Last edited:
Alright.

Play a back 7 and put his athleticism, running capacity and ability to read the ball in flight to use as a rebounding intercept defender.

I don’t think Brander needs to seriously impact games in the sense of being one of the best players on the ground. Duggan is barely doing this and he’ll be going into his eighth (?) season, having played over a hundred games. Nelson is going into his eighth season without seriously impacting games. I think Brander, who will be playing games 12 to 20 just needs to play his role and contribute to the team’s performance. Why is he being held to a different standard than Duggan for example? In his eleven games, Brander has already played some where he usefully contributed. I reckon Shane Edwards (Richmond) played nearly 200 games before he was any good.
Both duggan and Nelson have been on our list for 6 seasons .

Nelson had played 32 games and duggan 44 after 3 seasons .

Sure talls take longer but brander hasn't really been knocking the door down .

Unfortunately I don't see where he plays unless we have major injuries.

Allen and Williams are ahead of him up forward

Rotham is ahead of him as third tall defender after a break out year

He would have to be competing with Edwards as first emergency for barrass / gov / rotham .

Pretty much replaces schoey

Both duggan and Nelson have been on our list for 6 seasons .

Nelson had played 32 games and duggan 44 after 3 seasons .

Sure talls take longer but brander hasn't really been knocking the door down .

Unfortunately I don't see where he plays unless we have major injuries.

Allen and Williams are ahead of him up forward

Rotham is ahead of him as third tall defender after a break out year

He would have to be competing with Edwards as first emergency for barrass / gov / rotham .

Pretty much replaces schoey
Yeah Duggan’s not a good example - got almost 30 touches in his first full game as non-sub IIRC and was touted as being a special player by Shuey in an interview shortly after. Duggan’s first season was actually one of his better ones.

I don’t think Brander needs to rip games apart but he does need to have more impact on the play when he is involved.

I think they made him too light to try and replace Masten which was just silly. Unless you’re Blicavs you’re never going to compete aerobically with actual outside midfielders. But his natural running power should be better than many other KPPs.

This year he was caught in between the two. Too slight to make up for his lack of midfield nous

I think a Schofield replacement is a good suggestion

Brander has taken some good marks and hit some good kicks. The big alarm bell for me his how he has reacted to contested ground ball situations. He is far too timid.

If you don't like or are scared of the physical stuff you are never going to make it as a KPP imo.

Brander has taken some good marks and hit some good kicks. The big alarm bell for me his how he has reacted to contested ground ball situations. He is far too timid.

If you don't like or are scared of the physical stuff you are never going to make it as a KPP imo.
Never going to make it full stop tbh. Perhaps if he fills out properly he’ll be a bit more comfortable with it though?

Never going to make it full stop tbh. Perhaps if he fills out properly he’ll be a bit more comfortable with it though?
According to his AFL profile he is 92kgs... If that is correct he might not have much more filling out to do which is a little concerning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah Duggan’s not a good example - got almost 30 touches in his first full game as non-sub IIRC and was touted as being a special player by Shuey in an interview shortly after. Duggan’s first season was actually one of his better ones.

I don’t think Brander needs to rip games apart but he does need to have more impact on the play when he is involved.

I think they made him too light to try and replace Masten which was just silly. Unless you’re Blicavs you’re never going to compete aerobically with actual outside midfielders. But his natural running power should be better than many other KPPs.

This year he was caught in between the two. Too slight to make up for his lack of midfield nous

I think a Schofield replacement is a good suggestion
I have watched virtually every game for a long time. Duggan may have started with a bit more of a bang but he has been a slow burn. He was only getting a game on name for a couple of seasons. Wasn’t up to it in the midfield which is why he was moved back where he has gradually got more confidence and experience. Perhaps this year was his ‘break out year’ so he now seems good enough to be a midfielder again, but this has taken a long time.

Slippy is yet to catch fire and cannot be considered a lock for b22 in my opinion. It might be him that Witherden pushes out. I like Cole as a player but he has been up and down and is on the fringe of b22. I also like Rotham but he is fringe b22.

Brander has not had an easy three years. First year he played one or two games as a kid. Debuted as a key fwd at the SCG which has been a graveyard ground for even our best and most experienced fonwards. Second year he had a serious hamstring injury which killed half his year. Third year has been COVID which has been hard for everybody. On top of that the club has slimmed him right down like Ainsworth and tried to play him on a wing which is completely foreign to him. He is unfortunate to be in such a long line in the forward line. Kennedy going on is putting pressure on his career. I agree with you about the Schofield replacement. I think he needs a decent go at it before he is written off.

According to his AFL profile he is 92kgs... If that is correct he might not have much more filling out to do which is a little concerning.
Clubs are usually not overly great at recording those numbers. I feel like he would have shed a couple kilos to play as an outside runner.

space clef made a valid point, I don’t understand why we don’t just expose his mobility and running power as a key position player. I hope we can turn him into a third tall defender with the scope of playing CHB one day

Duggan being very under rated here. 100+ games so 2021 is a big year when we need more options through the midfield & thats Duggan.

Brander never seems to get enough ball, a big worry for an early selection. Not holding my breath. He's not the immediate replacement for anyone in the best 22 as I see it.

It's the black boots gaiz.

Soon as i saw him run out the race i turned to the lady behind me and said "Branders going to have a field day today you old kent"

When he was lining up for his first set shot i turned to her husband and said "If he kicks this goal i'll delete my account and leave right now"

Fair to say they're both stuck with me for the foreseeable until West Coast agree to move them :moustache:

Plays like that and he won’t be out of the 22 again. It could happen now, he’s clearly talented enough.

That’s why we’ve been harder on him than some others. You can see he has the potential to be special. Well played Brander.

I don’t have time to watch the full match replay but I assume that his highlights were more in the first half? Is there a better quarter to watch to see some Brander highlights?

I don’t have time to watch the full match replay but I assume that his highlights were more in the first half? Is there a better quarter to watch to see some Brander highlights?

Yeah his first half was definitely stronger. Even then I didn't notice 21 touches but he was decent in traffic pivoting and releasing handballs.

They probably attributed some of Rotham’s touches to him

If you lined Brander, Rotham and Darling up it'd be like ordering a lite, hi-lo and full cream milk. Dave Chappelle wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back