List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Jarrod Brander [Off to GWS]

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Brander moves through contest like a Bont or Pendlebury rather than a crash and bash big bodied mid like a Fyfe/cripps. Hopefully he can get more tougher as he fills out.

I like the fact that he has a tank cause he can alway be that “cooler” option for us when a big bodied mid needs to be tagged

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Brander moves through contest like a Bont or Pendlebury rather than a crash and bash big bodied mid like a Fyfe/cripps. Hopefully he can get more tougher as he fills out.

I like the fact that he has a tank cause he can alway be that “cooler” option for us when a big bodied mid needs to be tagged

Trust it is not a premature evaluation.

MarlonBrander

Rookie
Apr 6, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
He’s had that coming for a long time. Seeing how excited he was when he kicked his first goal was like watching a kid at Xmas, and it was great to see how many of the boys got around him.

Something tells me now he has the monkey off his back about kicking his first goal he will come on in leaps and bounds.

The best part of his game on the weekend was his willingness to kick the ball. Previously he would give off a nothing handball to the nearest person. There’s still a big difference between his good kicks and bad kicks, but I think he will eliminate the helicopter kicks more and more as he develops.

This weekend there is an opportunity to give him a few more centre bounces with Shuey out.

I’d like to see him play mid/high half forward. He could be very damaging forward of centre.

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Stoked with his game on the weekend, and very excited to see what he can bring going forward, would also like to see him at a few centre bounces. Adds a nice point of difference to the midfield and will give the opposition something else to worry about going forward if he can continue to have similar output.

Rapt for him as I was his first ever sponsor at the Club.

Watched him before he was drafted by us and I was confident that the ability would eventually come through, I was however worried that it may have not been at West Coast.

I loved that he told the Club ( when the Kelly trade was on and the Dick Eaters enquired about him ), that he wanted to stay with us and fight and earn his way into the regular starting 22. :whitecheck: :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

His development as a mid in the seconds, this pre season, has been very beneficial.

Just goes to show how every one of our younger fringe players development, was hindered and delayed by Covid-19 shutting down the Beagles last season.
Hard to work on your craft and get improvement, if your not playing real games.

You can play as many scrimmage / inter Club scratchies games as you like ............ BUT ...... nothing beats playing for point when the outcome of a game matters.

Reminiscence

All Australian
Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Rangers, Charlotte Hornets
Seems to have that gift of poise and time on his hand that is a rare ability, with terrific hands on the deck.
You watch him one touch pickup balls, while other times you watch Crippa chase the ball with his hands out in front of him like a baby, is like night and day.
Was that game last year on the wing where he backed himself and managed to outrun the fella chasing him.

Will be interested to see where he goes from here.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Brander to be an AFL top tier player in 2-3 years... but will he be an Eagle?

New Pendles
Yeah.

Could'v gone to Geelong for more opportunity in the Kelly trade and said no. Guy grew up barracking for WCE so I reckon he'll only ever ask for a trade if it looks like he isn't going to make it, which would be in the best interest of all parties int hat regard.

Thankfully his form at WAFL and this weekend suggests otherwise.

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Simmo seems really cool on him
Yeah.

Could'v gone to Geelong for more opportunity in the Kelly trade and said no. Guy grew up barracking for WCE so I reckon he'll only ever ask for a trade if it looks like he isn't going to make it, which would be in the best interest of all parties int hat regard.

Thankfully his form at WAFL and this weekend suggests otherwise.

This makes me want him to succeed with us even more. True WCE supporter and loyal to the club.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Best of luck to the kid but I genuinely think he's a midfielder disguised with the height of a KPP. Huge improvements in the strength through his legs and core and great hands. We may have found our future big bodied mid.
I would love the irony of us finally finding an A grade mid when trying to draft a KPP. Would prove that the recruiters were playing 3D chess all along.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
The kiss of death
Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 8.29.11 PM.png

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
That's the game we've been waiting for. That will give him a month of breathing space before his place gets questioned again, and even then that question is only going to be asked if he performs poorly over the next few games. Mentally that is a great spot for him to be in. This is probably the first time in his AFL career he has rocked up to training on a Monday knowing he is going to get a run next weekend. I'm sure that makes a big difference on how someone hits the training track, especially a young guy who's confidence has most likely taken a little bit of a hit since entering the AFL system.

If he performs well in the coming weeks and the Port match is his new standard, then he is a lock in our best 22 and probably see's him finish 2021 on the fringe of our top 10 or 12 players with a future ceiling that goes significantly higher than that. Even if his best is in the future, it's still huge for us in 2021 because it moves a fringe player who was 50/50 at AFL level into a genuine AFL level footballer, and in turn knocks everyone down a spot on our list, and is one less iffy selection we have to make each week. But let's see how the next month goes before we pop the champagne just yet.

Massive thumbs up for him. He cops a bit in these parts - some justified, some a little over the top. For all the frustration of fans, it would have been 100x worse for him. Let's hope this is the point of lift off for a big career that he is more than capable of having.

That was the flat tracking home game I was so desperate for him to be a part of for so long. Ironic it came against the team at the top of the table for the past year.

A game that we're in control of and he can relax a bit and show his natural flair on instinct. Rather than a high pressure flogging in a tough away game.

His best other 2 performances up until this point were also wins at home, against GWS and Hawthorn last year.

What I really like is that he brings something to the table we don't have. He's a very athletic 195cm talent with a penetrating kick and very clean skills.

Just needs to string some more games together and eliminate the previous skill errors, fumbles, gimp moments he's shown at times.

I wholeheartedly believe Simmo would punt him from the team if he plays poorly against the Saints next week and we lose. Hasn't got enough runs on the board.

It's also funny Simmo was talking s**t about his role in the interview questions. Saying we've tried him as inside mid at WAFL and that's where he played Saturday night.

Which is a total load of s**t. I don't believe he had a single CBD and was played off the HFF most of the night from memory. As Thumper confirmed on eagle review.

So it's not really the same as his WAFL role is it Adam.

Delete your account.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
It's also funny Simmo was talking sh*t about his role in the interview questions. Saying we've tried him as inside mid at WAFL and that's where he played Saturday night.

Which is a total load of sh*t. I don't believe he had a single CBD and was played off the HFF most of the night from memory. As Thumper confirmed on eagle review.

So it's not really the same as his WAFL role is it Adam.

Delete your account.

It's like Shuey's change of role.

Back