List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Joshua Rotham

Remove this Banner Ad

Cursedsword02

Team Captain
Mar 14, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
Just wanna throw some silver lining on this board after a rough game:
FireShot Screen Capture #038 - '2021 AFL League Total Marks Leaders' - www.footywire.png

Rotham's currently leading the comp in marks after 15 rounds. When you look at the starpower in this Top 10, for a player like Josh Rotham who was on the fringe of selection last year to outrank them all is pretty impressive.

Cmon man, how many of them are marks from chipping in the back? He’s always there for those little chip.

He's developing into a good little player for us, but those switches across the D50 pads his stats

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
his kicking is very good but we've taken his natural instinct our of his game. He is another Run and carry player with a lethal kick but we don't use him like that. Also more weird is that we rather Nelson kicking out over him.

Just wanna throw some silver lining on this board after a rough game:
View attachment 1165588
Rotham's currently leading the comp in marks after 15 rounds. When you look at the starpower in this Top 10, for a player like Josh Rotham who was on the fringe of selection last year to outrank them all is pretty impressive.

Jury is still out for me on Rotham he does some things well and has shown some promising snippets.
I don't buy the wowness of the total marks as he Gov and Barrass love playing "kick to kick" with each other, in the deep back half so those stats are very much padded.

His lack of composure worries mer at times but hopefully these moments will become fewer as he gets more game time under his belt.

That said he is an emerging player and I am hopeful that there is lots of improvement left in him.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I like him - he's an elite kick - but he's becoming a bit of a momentum killer, seems to always look for a back or sideways option first.
It's the coaching, not the player. Look at the players that returned this week and how they just refused to look into the middle and their first reaction was to chip sideways/backwards.

Simmo really needs to change the game plan. I understand processes are great but if Harry Edwards doesn't play on last week and follows the sideways kicking game plan looking for a switch, then we lose to Richmond.

Sure the penny has to drop eventually, right?

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It's the coaching, not the player. Look at the players that returned this week and how they just refused to look into the middle and their first reaction was to chip sideways/backwards.

Simmo really needs to change the game plan. I understand processes are great but if Harry Edwards doesn't play on last week and follows the sideways kicking game plan looking for a switch, then we lose to Richmond.

Sure the penny has to drop eventually, right?
Agreed. It’s gotten awful over the last year and a half. One of those matches at the end of last season was absolutely diabolical to watch. Think it was against Essendon or North. Did our best to lose it by chipping around the D50 and then predictably bombing it long down the line to Ridley

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've enjoyed his work all season, cemented in that back 6 for mine and delivered on that (most improved?) club award he received last year. Has that tentacled dark arts vibe that Glass/Emac had, just less deployed to man-on-man/first choice forward (we've got other guys for that after all). I expect Josh will be down there for at least a couple years, worth investing in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 8, 2016
Vietnam
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
He’s played less than 30 games I think and has improved dramatically from 18 months ago. I would like him to take the game on more but that is coaching/ our system and inexperience. I think he will end up being an excellent long term prospect.

MeltMan

With The Power To MELT!
Mar 22, 2021
AFL Club
West Coast
As the new official sponsor for 2022,
Get your jarrod brander jokes out now!
Can we give this tired old joke a rest...
they will not be upvoted come 2022, that is a promise!

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Big year for Josh coming up I reckon. He has shown promise over the last two seasons without really cementing his spot. Defensively looked solid at the start of the year but bigger opponents got their way with him. Offensively just look out of sorts just stuck to playing our shitty style. Bunga is an excellent defender but I don't want to see his attacking game disappear with no shep and him supporting the likes of Witho, Duggo and even covering for Gov and TB when they zone off. At this stage I find Foley and Nelson way more defensively solid even tho I think Rotham has a higher ceiling.

dinnaz

Club Legend
Dec 26, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Big year for Josh coming up I reckon. He has shown promise over the last two seasons without really cementing his spot. Defensively looked solid at the start of the year but bigger opponents got their way with him. Offensively just look out of sorts just stuck to playing our shitty style. Bunga is an excellent defender but I don't want to see his attacking game disappear with no shep and him supporting the likes of Witho, Duggo and even covering for Gov and TB when they zone off. At this stage I find Foley and Nelson way more defensively solid even tho I think Rotham has a higher ceiling.
I think it's time to see what he can do on the wing. If he has the endurance to run all day and still have the skills then why not. Our defence plays as a loose unit where 5/6 will zone off and intercept when they can which leaves Cole/Nelson/H.Edwards locking down. Rotham hasnt really shown any great aerial prowess so we can utilise his elsewhere.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think it's time to see what he can do on the wing. If he has the endurance to run all day and still have the skills then why not. Our defence plays as a loose unit where 5/6 will zone off and intercept when they can which leaves Cole/Nelson/H.Edwards locking down. Rotham hasnt really shown any great aerial prowess so we can utilise his elsewhere.

Rotham really plays best with the ball coming at him. He is in essence our replacement for Shep and is ready to go right away. He does need to go back to being more attacking with his kicking as he is a very good kick particularly over distance.

The problem as a side is I genuinely believe we are best off playing all 3 of our ready to go talls with Mcgovern playing the third tall role. Give Edwards the opportunity to play FB, Barrass at CHB and Mcgovern patrolling. This really doesn't leave a spot for rotham atm until Hurn retires as I very much think if you have 3 talls playing your other defenders all have to be able to move the ball and defend well against smaller forwards. As much as he can get a little ahead of himself Mcgovern is actually a great kick, again over distance. If he is freed up to play more offensively it would provide huge benefit to the team. Edwards, Barrass and Cole are all just average kicks of the ball. Ridiculously and he deserves the criticism is Nelson is one of our best kicks but whether it's slow decision making or lack of execution due to exhaustion he turns the ball over way too much.

We need a lot more run and carry from defence this year and it's really hard to see that happening with Hurn and Witherden in the side. Both are absolute ******* liabilities when it comes to speed however at least hurn is great defending one on one and throwing his body in the way of contests.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Rotham really plays best with the ball coming at him. He is in essence our replacement for Shep and is ready to go right away. He does need to go back to being more attacking with his kicking as he is a very good kick particularly over distance.

The problem as a side is I genuinely believe we are best off playing all 3 of our ready to go talls with Mcgovern playing the third tall role. Give Edwards the opportunity to play FB, Barrass at CHB and Mcgovern patrolling. This really doesn't leave a spot for rotham atm until Hurn retires as I very much think if you have 3 talls playing your other defenders all have to be able to move the ball and defend well against smaller forwards. As much as he can get a little ahead of himself Mcgovern is actually a great kick, again over distance. If he is freed up to play more offensively it would provide huge benefit to the team. Edwards, Barrass and Cole are all just average kicks of the ball. Ridiculously and he deserves the criticism is Nelson is one of our best kicks but whether it's slow decision making or lack of execution due to exhaustion he turns the ball over way too much.

We need a lot more run and carry from defence this year and it's really hard to see that happening with Hurn and Witherden in the side. Both are absolute ******* liabilities when it comes to speed however at least hurn is great defending one on one and throwing his body in the way of contests.

IMO Rotham is our Hurn replacement.

Foley is our Sheppard replacement.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Wasn't he supposed to be a fast, athletic, attacking HB/wingman when he was drafted?

I'm a fan. Don't think i've ever watched him play and thought he should be dropped or was out of his depth. Ideally he'd start for me in 2022.
I've probably mentioned it here before but we tried to make him a KPD/third tall soon as he got here when that wasn't his natural game. He maybe 193cm but he definitely doesn't play that way. Andrew Mackie was probably the first 193cm ish flanker and now we seem to have more and more coming through. I think you make him a flanker but match him up against the mid size forwards and even the smalls as he has the agility and speed to match with smaller players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back