List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Liam Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that's the best idea. Played 3 games and already being offered massive pay rise... maybe at year's end if he proves that he can stay fit and commited for a whole season?

Classy gesture by the club. They have seen enough to suggest they have a top end player with a long career ahead so it makes sense to lock him in. Also the timing is good. He's probably feeling pretty lousy at the moment and a big sugar hit like this can't hurt his recovery. Sends him a clear message too.

Couldnt it send the message to slack off? You could sit back and say ah well I've got a pay check for 4 years now.

He should be absolutely fizzing from the bum hole at the prospect of getting back and dominating the league. The little taste he's already had, hearing the roar of the crowd and knowing there's a state hanging off his every move must be motivation.

He doesn’t seem like that kind of person to sit back and rest on his laurels now (based purely off body language on TV and nothing else).

Maybe if he was a super arrogant campaigner but he seems pretty down to earth.

He doesn’t seem like that kind of person to sit back and rest on his laurels now (based purely off body language on TV and nothing else).

Maybe if he was a super arrogant campaigner but he seems pretty down to earth.
And seems to be very well liked by the playing group.

Not sure that's the best idea. Played 3 games and already being offered massive pay rise... maybe at year's end if he proves that he can stay fit and commited for a whole season?
Might be a huge pay rise but is it really that much in the grand scheme of things? I have no idea what an average wage is but im thinking its probably a smart move by the club to lock him in at a rate maybe less than he could be worth when his current contract expires

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Seems like they're jumping the gun a bit. Like when wonderkids in soccer play one game in front of the right scout and get offered a huge contract but don't turn out to be that good.

Looking at Renato Sanchez

Seems like they're jumping the gun a bit. Like when wonderkids in soccer play one game in front of the right scout and get offered a huge contract but don't turn out to be that good.

Looking at Renato Sanchez

21 year old kid who's already kicked 113 goals in just 39 WAFL games. 4 of the 5 marks of the year last year. Comes into the AFL and in his first three games has 7 goals (could be 10), nominations for mark and goal of the year, one match winning goal and is already the best shake and baker we've had since Matera senior. Throw away the key.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You recon he's going to take a paycut so we can keep the team together? What a guy.

Eagles have offered to get his stomach stapled so his disposable income requirements have been halved.

I think there's a bit of deep seated racism creeping out when people say Ryan is going to slack off and not be committed now that he's on a higher wage

It's possible. But there was also word his application levels were wanting and that's why he wasn't drafted in those first couple of years.

I don't think it'll be a problem anyway - if he's worked that hard to get to this point then it's unlikely he'd throw it all away.

I think there's a bit of deep seated racism creeping out when people say Ryan is going to slack off and not be committed now that he's on a higher wage

Tend to agree. It's great that we have signed him up, rewarded his great start to the season and once his 2yr draft contract is over he'll see a pay rise that puts him at approx the average pay packet.
I think it helps put a silver lining on the whole injury and shows how happy they are with his performance to date.

We almost always re-sign our first year draftees in the first half or so of the season - at least the ones on 2 year contracts. Venables re-signed in July last year. At the time he'd basically been injured since he'd arrived.

I was going to say that earlier but it’s also based on his supposed history of not taking professional sport that seriously (stories of him not turning up to training, testing, etc plus the bad combine results).

After Sampi, there’s an underlying element of it there, sure

OR it's the fact that coming into the draft one of the issues was that he was a tad flakey (skipping practices, etc), so it would be smart to make sure that he's well and truly ironed that out prior to offering him over half a million bucks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back