List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Liam Ryan

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Seems like the pre draft talk about his lack of defensive workrate has now become a non issue
If only we'd got him in the rookie draft the year before!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Simmo said in his presser tonight that his work rate was pretty poor in the past, which I am assuming is pre-draft. Certainly couldn't say that about him now. Works bloody hard.

HawkerHurricane

Inaugural Mt. Barker Eagle, Current Bunbury Shark
Oct 12, 2017
Bunbury, Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
I get my beard trimmed at a very old school barber in town, and I was chatting away the other day all things footy.. as you do.
The barber, Gary, said he remembers Liams grandfather playing for South Bunbury.
He played back in the Syd Jackson days, was a tiny little bloke with ONE EYE!! They called him "gilgie" and he played in the ruck due to his incredible leap! I can't remember his name, (surname wasn't Ryan) might have been George or something, and he was brought up at the mission in Roelands, along with Syd Jackson.
Thought it was a cracker of a tale & was pretty sure you mob would apreciate it :)

Liam was great tonight, he works so hard, covers a lot of ground, very smart footy player..
... and as you said kerr87, he is just a 2nd year player, what a ripper!

Mr Shankly

All Australian
Aug 7, 2006
Japan
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
E. Freo, Arsenal, Dallas Mavs
I get my beard trimmed at a very old school barber in town, and I was chatting away the other day all things footy.. as you do.
The barber, Gary, said he remembers Liams grandfather playing for South Bunbury.
He played back in the Syd Jackson days, was a tiny little bloke with ONE EYE!! They called him "gilgie" and he played in the ruck due to his incredible leap! I can't remember his name, (surname wasn't Ryan) might have been George or something, and he was brought up at the mission in Roelands, along with Syd Jackson.
Thought it was a cracker of a tale & was pretty sure you mob would apreciate it :)

Liam was great tonight, he works so hard, covers a lot of ground, very smart footy player..
... and as you said kerr87, he is just a 2nd year player, what a ripper!

Is that Gary Dillon, near Civic Video and Joe's Pizza? I went to him for years. Great bloke, and knows his footy.

HawkerHurricane

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Is that Gary Dillon, near Civic Video and Joe's Pizza? I went to him for years. Great bloke, and knows his footy.

sure is Mr Shankly !
...and he would have been on the edge of his seat tonight watching his Blues take it to the Pies!
I worked at Civic while I was at Uni, and it has sadly just closed it's doors for the last time after operating for 30 years :/

Mr Shankly

All Australian
Aug 7, 2006
Japan
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
E. Freo, Arsenal, Dallas Mavs
sure is Mr Shankly !
...and he would have been on the edge of his seat tonight watching his Blues take it to the Pies!
I worked at Civic while I was at Uni, and it has sadly just closed it's doors for the last time after operating for 30 years :/

Oh man, that's a shame to hear. Civic was awesome, it had such a great selection. The brothers who owned it were great value too!

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Seems like the pre draft talk about his lack of defensive workrate has now become a non issue
If only we'd got him in the rookie draft the year before!!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I don't think he would be the same player if he was taken a year earlier. Sometimes you need that year of domination first.

HawkerHurricane

Oct 12, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Honestly, I thought after his drink driving escapade mid season last year he was cooked.

A grand final winning mark and a good first seven rounds later I'm eating my words. Love his work so far. :thumbsu:
i'll put my hand up too ep2018 ..
I even quoted my brother in law who played against Liam & his old boy up in Gero as saying he is bad news.. boy are we happy to be proven wrong, good for you Liam, proud of the progress you have made, and it's a huge credit to the club for the support they have given him

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Yeah, his 2-way work rate is what is impressing me as well. Really pleased with how he is developing. And it was nice to see him flyin' again after a relatively (by his literally lofty standards) ground-level start to the season.
Already a highly influential player and still has improved goal-kicking and improved tackling to come in the future.

He has been a revelation this season , we got to see the tricky plays and the "Flyin Ryan" stuff last year .

This year his Defensive Efforts have been through the roof.

He now is a much more complete player.

I will put my hand up and admit I was a skeptic when we drafted him, thinking he would only be a one trick pony.

Uppercut to myself......... so..... so wrong.

I actually think he will go to an even higher level by seasons end, through natural development.

Also think he will be more dangerous when Willie returns to the team.

swannies

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Armchair Endzone Minor Comp Winner Armchair Endzone Participant
Oct 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Everton
Amen to Monocle and RookiePick I thought the same, not expecting the development of the extraordinary running that I have seen. Kudos Liam and I'll uppercut myself with Monocle. ;)

Back