List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Liam Ryan

Track back to 3/4 of that GF and Jetta having a quiet word to Liam Ryan after he’d have been disappointed with his effort in a marking contest

It settled Ryan down and restored his confidence sufficiently for him to have an impact in the last quarter and most significantly launch himself at a mark he had no entitlement to take but did anyway.

Now he’s running 30m with the flight of the ball and launching himself into an oncoming pack to take an outstanding mark

There was a time when mentioning culture and eagles wasn’t a positive but this group have turned that around 180 degrees

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
I haven't given Liam much kudos here yet but I think its high time I did.

The flashy stuff is great and similar to what we saw at Subi and what got him drafted originally.

But the pressure he puts on since joining the club and entering the AFL is something else. Maybe I wasn't watching hard enough but we rarely saw that at WAFL level.

That mark yesterday is proof of the self confidence he has within himself and the confidence he has gained from his mates as well.

10 months ago he shirked that contest in the third quarter of the GF when he was opened up to be hit, would never have expected to see his mark later that game in the critical passage of play or the one yesterday.

Loving how that draft is turning out with Allen and Ryan so far. Ainsworth and Brander will get there chances longer term and although yet to debut Hamish is well and truly buying in at WAFL level.

This mark...

It's one thing to run back and launch if you are the size of a N.Reiwoldt or a Jono Brown.

It's another thing entirely when you are 75 kegs wringing wet and running back into oncoming KPF traffic.

It's had some hype but I can only imagine the decibel level in the media if it was a "name" player like a Cyril or even a Wingard.

Liam Ryan you are a beauty!

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ryan fits right in with the arrogance culture.

I mean look at this:

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
When West Coast initially had to hub I had concerns Flyin would cope . So happy to be wrong with Ryan arguably the best performed . Has matured to be a leader by his effort and example . I havent been excited watching a player since Peter Matera . So its not just welcome Liam Ryan but also Thankyou .

arfadunger

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
When West Coast initially had to hub I had concerns Flyin would cope . So happy to be wrong with Ryan arguably the best performed . Has matured to be a leader by his effort and example . I havent been excited watching a player since Peter Matera . So its not just welcome Liam Ryan but also Thankyou .
Fair enough, but I don't think that was ever a worry. He took his Mrs and 3 kids with him both times and with TK and his family there as well they were probably always going to be able to support each other.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Happily admit I was one of the people who thought we reached and wasted a pick on him that high, boy have i been wrong

Same!
Thought we would get him with the Ainsworth pick which I then felt should have gone for Worpel/Constable after we picked up Ryan. Was still unhappy with the OA pick because we went tall with Brander and felt we reached for Ryan.

If Geelong hadn't gone for TK we would have ended up with Brander, Allen, TK, Ryan which is insane. Obviously OA, TK, Flyin' would have been an amazing first 3 picks if we had ignored Brander.

Same!
Thought we would get him with the Ainsworth pick which I then felt should have gone for Worpel/Constable after we picked up Ryan. Was still unhappy with the OA pick because we went tall with Brander and felt we reached for Ryan.

If Geelong hadn't gone for TK we would have ended up with Brander, Allen, TK, Ryan which is insane. Obviously OA, TK, Flyin' would have been an amazing first 3 picks if we had ignored Brander.
Would Ryan have slipped through, though? I remember a couple of rumours that he was being looked at by a few clubs around the 30 mark.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Amazingly there were some in this forum calling for him to be dropped earlier this year. I couldn't believe what I was reading. He wasn't picking up a heap of stats but he was busting his backside for the team. That's what I love about him at the minute, his complete selflessness and devotion to team first.

Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Would Ryan have slipped through, though? I remember a couple of rumours that he was being looked at by a few clubs around the 30 mark.

Who knows! The general consensus on here predraft was he would be taken with our pick in the 30s but like TK you can never know
How did OA slip? I remember I wanted Higgins with our first pick

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Back