List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Liam Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
Same!
Thought we would get him with the Ainsworth pick which I then felt should have gone for Worpel/Constable after we picked up Ryan. Was still unhappy with the OA pick because we went tall with Brander and felt we reached for Ryan.

If Geelong hadn't gone for TK we would have ended up with Brander, Allen, TK, Ryan which is insane. Obviously OA, TK, Flyin' would have been an amazing first 3 picks if we had ignored Brander.

Someone mentioned that Geelong had planned to pick Ryan if they couldn’t pick TK.

I’m glad we have both now!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'd trust the club is a little more professional than that, fair dinkum :'(, they panicked :rolleyes:

He's right, whether or not the Eagles were that way is not what he's saying but that's what the board was saying.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
He's right, whether or not the Eagles were that way is not what he's saying but that's what the board was saying.

Thanks mate. I didn't think I fluffed my post that much but apparently it made no sense. Thank * for my man CM9000 going through dropping a like on my sequence of posts to help my like : post ratio after that drawn out explanation!

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I could be mistaken, but didn't we have the option to put Ryan and Tim Kelly on our list the year prior, and we elected not to?

Glad that we got both guys to the club eventually, but it would have been good to have got them both a bit more cheaply (particularly Kelly)

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I could be mistaken, but didn't we have the option to put Ryan and Tim Kelly on our list the year prior, and we elected not to?

Glad that we got both guys to the club eventually, but it would have been good to have got them both a bit more cheaply (particularly Kelly)

Yes this is true, but we're one of 18 clubs who didn't take either player the year prior.

Yoey

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm calling it, Liam Ryan has over taken Shuey as our best player....now we have 2 genuine elites in them.

Dec 25, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The board perception at the time was we (WCE drafting and recruiting department) panicked and reached for Ryan after missing TK.

I feel that people were thinking we'd not get Ryan because our first three picks were too early and he wouldn't make it to our 4th pick.

Basically I think people valued him between our 3rd and 4th pick. Whatever that was.b

Apr 29, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Total_Juddshanks

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Fee
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The good ones
Now an AA jumper. Pick 26 is a bargain
And did it in only 54 games, sensational effort.

It's interesting that someone who was seen as a one dimensional leaper when he was drafted has developed into one of the most complete forward players on our list.

Yes he can mark on people's heads.
But he also times leads brilliantly, is an excellent one on one contested mark for his size, has otherworldly hands at ground level, is elite in his pressure game, can kick it 50+, has top shelf pace, and wonderful vision for teammates. That skill set is a testament to his incredible natural ability but also how hard he has plainly worked on his game since getting to the club.

The recruiting holy grail in football are prospects who combine elite athletic ability with a natural footballer's brain and strong work ethic- ryan looks like he might be that.

The future looks extremely bright for the boy from mullewa.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The adversity he's overcome is pretty miraculous too. Wasn't a secret that he loved a beer I think we collectively held our breath when he dinged his into a tree car post-2018. The fact he has the maturity, professionalism and drive to work past those hiccups says a lot about his character. Keep it up flarn rarn.

JADED

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2005
SA
AFL Club
West Coast
When did he shrink from 185cms to 179?.
Weight of pressure from the West Coast BF board got to him already
How come we never managed to shrink Tom Swift's neck then?

Anyway, back on topic, this is a stellar reward for Flyin Ryan.
He's done some amazing things in his career so far and the best part is, he wouldn't have peaked yet (not even when he jumped on Maxy Gawn)

RanaNaved

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Flan Rhan
14DBB1B0-FB36-4AC6-8ED2-20BA26497236.jpeg

Is Liam Ryan our most natural footballer since....Judd? Cousins?

We’ve had better players certainly, but Ryan just has this spark about him that you know whenever the ball finds him something special is about to happen. Just a pure footy player in every way.

Nic Nat’s highs are higher, but he’s a freak athlete. Shuey’s highs are higher, but he’s more of a refined midfielder. McGovern has almost single handedly defined a role in modern footy, but he doesn’t play with the freedom and ease with which Ryan does.

Ryan is just like this bloke you can stick anywhere on the park and just say “go play footy”, and he’ll find a way to impose himself. What a breakout this has been for him.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Is Liam Ryan our most natural footballer since....Judd? Cousins?

We’ve had better players certainly, but Ryan just has this spark about him that you know whenever the ball finds him something special is about to happen. Just a pure footy player in every way.

Nic Nat’s highs are higher, but he’s a freak athlete. Shuey’s highs are higher s, but he’s more of a refined midfielder. McGovern has almost single handedly defined a role in modern footy, but he doesn’t play with the freedom and ease with which Ryan does.

Ryan is just like this bloke you can stick anywhere on the park and just say “go play footy”, and he’ll find a way to impose himself. What a breakout this has been for him.
Since Willie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back